Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > wireless network NAME

wireless network NAME

DanR

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:59:16 GMT, "Homeworker" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> "I'm the only one not broadcasting an SSID."
>>
>> how would youknow there might be another hundred
>> set to invisable

> I believe NetStumbler would see them, no?

Netstumbler no but Kismet yes.
http://www.kismetwireless.net/

see also
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3595531

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"DanR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Evan Platt wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:59:16 GMT, "Homeworker" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "I'm the only one not broadcasting an SSID."
>>>
>>> how would youknow there might be another hundred
>>> set to invisable

>> I believe NetStumbler would see them, no?

>Netstumbler no but Kismet yes.
>http://www.kismetwireless.net/
>
>see also
>http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3595531

Darn, I installed then read the tutorial....

"Kismet functions only with network cards with drivers that support RF
monitoring mode. In general, this includes wireless cards based on the
PRISM 2, 2.5, 3, and GT chipsets; older ORiNOCO cards without the
HermesII chipset, such as the Orinoco Gold; and Atheros a/b/g
chipsets."

Sooo, doesn't work for me...

--

Bunch Creative of ads
http://uaddit.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=642

why?

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:37:06 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:07:24 +0000, why? wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:05:11 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

<snip>

>>>What else am I missing...

>> Reduce transmitter power levels
>>
>> Me
>>
>> P.S the 2nd P in WPA-PSK

>My AP is in the basement. Covers the upper floor nicely but dies once you
>get 5 feet from the house outside.

The version 1 belkin kit I have doesn't have a disable / powel level
option. Because of this I don't use it a lot. The stone walls help,
can't get a good link from the back room to the front.

Was considering running a 5m cable and mounting the AP in an out of the
way corner of the hallway.

Me

Mara

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:07:24 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:05:11 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

<snip>

>>What else am I missing...

>Reduce transmitter power levels

I have a 600 ft. range and haven't bothered. They can't see me, but if I change
to the default channel I can sure see them. There are 11 wireless networks
within range. One is WPA, one is WEP, and the rest are unsecured.

That's just sad.

--
<rw-rw-rw-> I don't care if it can reproduce sound well enough for
dolphins to talk to each other through it, if you can't grep it it's

Ponder

Hiya Mara.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> I have a 600 ft. range and haven't bothered. They can't see me, but if I change
> to the default channel I can sure see them. There are 11 wireless networks
> within range. One is WPA, one is WEP, and the rest are unsecured.

When I bought a wireless access point I had never used wireless
previously. What I did, however, was read up in advance and look at other
people's experience and tips, then as soon as it was plugged in I
configured it to use WPA-PSK with a looong key.

> That's just sad.

I couldn't agree more.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

why?

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:16:46 -0600, Mara wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:07:24 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
>wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:05:11 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

><snip>
>
>>>What else am I missing...

>>Reduce transmitter power levels

>I have a 600 ft. range and haven't bothered. They can't see me, but if I change
>to the default channel I can sure see them. There are 11 wireless networks
>within range. One is WPA, one is WEP, and the rest are unsecured.

Last time I looked, depends which way the wind is blowing, there is a
unsecured network near by.

>That's just sad.

It is, since it's very easy to do something about it.

<snip>

Me

Mara

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:23:27 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:16:46 -0600, Mara wrote:

<snip>

>>I have a 600 ft. range and haven't bothered. They can't see me, but if I change
>>to the default channel I can sure see them. There are 11 wireless networks
>>within range. One is WPA, one is WEP, and the rest are unsecured.

>Last time I looked, depends which way the wind is blowing, there is a
>unsecured network near by.

They always name them with their last names, too. I suppose it makes sense in an
extraordinarily stupid kind of way. Why not just put a 50' neon sign in their
yards with "Get Your Access Here!" on it?

>>That's just sad.

>It is, since it's very easy to do something about it.

Yes.

--
<rw-rw-rw-> I don't care if it can reproduce sound well enough for
dolphins to talk to each other through it, if you can't grep it it's
evil.

Mitch

In article <XkPjj.62746$(E-Mail Removed)>, Homeworker
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i am moving very soon to a new house
>
> ON A HILL
>
> likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
> strays from my wirless signal
>
> So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
> tampering with it
>
> IDEAS please

You have never had to be open, or even visible, to anyone.

Configure your wireless router:
do not broadcast SSID
configure for WEP security
allow only specific MAC addresses

There are probably more suggestions coming from people more afraid of
this; these are the basic, fundamental, obvious options.

Ponder

Hiya Mitch.

In <news:200120081401255775%(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> configure for WEP security

WPA. WEP can be broken in minutes.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Phat Sam

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:23:27 GMT, why?

>>That's just sad.

>It is, since it's very easy to do something about it.

Yeah, like connect to his network, load up a P2P program and download
lots of Illegal MP3 Files, then login to Hotmail and create a
fictionous e-mail address, then go to one of them online picture
places for storing your personal photos, like Flickr or something....
Create an account using his name/address using your newly created
hotmail address that you created with his name.... Upload lots of
porn! (Works better if you know his phone number), Then wait a few
weeks and he'll conviently disable that un-secured network....
Eh, that or it won't have internet access any more.....