Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Website design for beginners

Website design for beginners

ahodsdon@gmail.com

Hello-

I am trying to design and build a website dedicated to my sister. I
have had the domain and web server for a little over a year now, and
during this time I have accomplished very little. This is due, in
part, to the difficulty in writing content, but it is more that I have
been overwhelmed by the number of web design and proprietary tutorials
that are all over the place. Frankly, every time I sit down to get
some work done, I spend 6 or 7 hours reading a bunch of tutorials and
accomplish very little and end up getting so confused that I give up.

So, what I am asking is this: Does anyone here have any suggestions as
to where I can find a decent tutorial, that will outline the initial
process and what I should be doing? I have so far ended up with a pre-
written forum, a different adobe photo gallery, and a home page. All
of these look different, there is no central theme. i have tried
using site.master pages, but that has not seemed to work and frankly
CSS confuses me (at least I understand what it is supposed to, though
implementing it seems to be a convoluted process).

I want to be able to use all of the features that I assume I need, but
I feel as though I get ahead of myself. Trying to learn SQL and PHP
or ASP.NET (only because I am familiar with C#) seems way more
complicated than I should be at, but I have yet to find a good
comprehensive guide that will at least get me on the right track and
let me know the first steps (i.e. web server file structure, what
folders are for what, whether to use Linux or Windows, Visual Web
Developer or Dreamweaver, or any editor at all.)

Anyway, I haven't posted in a forum for quite some time, so I imagine
I will get a RTFM response, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

<(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello-
>
> I am trying to design and build a website dedicated to my sister.

Probably the site for your sister doens't need to be much complicated, so
you could build it in a simple way using the knowledge you surely have.

And about beeing a beginner...I am a beginner and autodidact surely more
ignorant than you.,
but I have written a personal ecommerce website that works very well, using
only html and some css. And reading tutorials and reading this news group, I
learn and improve my knowledge and correct my website in those wrong parts I
didn't know how to do before.

The same thing you could do: start simple, and improve after.
Paul

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)
m>,

> Hello-
>
> I am trying to design and build a website dedicated to my sister. I
> have had the domain and web server for a little over a year now, and
> during this time I have accomplished very little.

Perhaps we can all make one together for your sister? Let me
start by contributing the following skeleton (which I expect to
see up on your web server and a url provided so we can all
continue on on this ode):

<head>
<title>My sister</title>

</head>

Now, what is it you want to actually say or show roughly? We
could have it up and running in a few days if you co-operate.

--
dorayme

Andrew H

On Jan 17, 3:09 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)
> m>,
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hello-

> > I am trying to design and build a website dedicated to my sister. I
> > have had the domain and web server for a little over a year now, and
> > during this time I have accomplished very little.

> Perhaps we can all make one together for your sister? Let me
> start by contributing the following skeleton (which I expect to
> see up on your web server and a url provided so we can all
> continue on on this ode):

> <head>
> <title>My sister</title>

> </head>

> Now, what is it you want to actually say or show roughly? We
> could have it up and running in a few days if you co-operate.
>
> --
> dorayme

Dorayme-

I have copied the above and will post it to my site ASAP, however, I
am waiting for my ticket to be resolved and my site to be migrated to
a Linux server. Frankly I like the idea of open source, and the
dependability of Linux. As soon as the site is available, which I am
hoping will be tonight, I will post that with a link to the site. I
really appreciate the fact that you all have responded so quickly.

As to content. I have an informational essay and I have some content
that my family has provided. I will edit all of that by tomorrow
also. Aside from that, all I am looking for right now is a photo
gallery and maybe a forum, but really I am primarily concerned with a
professional and respectful website that does not look like it was put
together by a third grader (which is what I have now). I also wanted
people to be able to post pictures to the gallery for approval and to
comment below the pictures.

Anyway, I am working from a library computer because my motherboard is
fried and I cant fix it right now, so I will try and do this as soon
as possible.

Thanks Again

Andrew H

On Jan 17, 4:32 pm, Andrew H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 3:09 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)
> > m>,

> > "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Hello-

> > > I am trying to design and build a website dedicated to my sister. I
> > > have had the domain and web server for a little over a year now, and
> > > during this time I have accomplished very little.

> > Perhaps we can all make one together for your sister? Let me
> > start by contributing the following skeleton (which I expect to
> > see up on your web server and a url provided so we can all
> > continue on on this ode):

> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
> > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
> > <head>
> > <title>My sister</title>

> > </head>

> > Now, what is it you want to actually say or show roughly? We
> > could have it up and running in a few days if you co-operate.

> > --
> > dorayme

> Dorayme-
>
> I have copied the above and will post it to my site ASAP, however, I
> am waiting for my ticket to be resolved and my site to be migrated to
> a Linux server. Frankly I like the idea of open source, and the
> dependability of Linux. As soon as the site is available, which I am
> hoping will be tonight, I will post that with a link to the site. I
> really appreciate the fact that you all have responded so quickly.
>
> As to content. I have an informational essay and I have some content
> that my family has provided. I will edit all of that by tomorrow
> also. Aside from that, all I am looking for right now is a photo
> gallery and maybe a forum, but really I am primarily concerned with a
> professional and respectful website that does not look like it was put
> together by a third grader (which is what I have now). I also wanted
> people to be able to post pictures to the gallery for approval and to
> comment below the pictures.
>
> Anyway, I am working from a library computer because my motherboard is
> fried and I cant fix it right now, so I will try and do this as soon
> as possible.
>
> Thanks Again

Hey-

I just uploaded the above:

> > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
> > <head>
> > <title>My sister</title>

> > </head>

to my website which is located @ www.jessicahodsdon.com

So that is done as of now, hope this helps.

John Hosking

Andrew H wrote:

<previous exchange with dorayme snipped>

> Hey-
>
> I just uploaded the above:

<code from dorayme snipped again>
NG Tip: you usually only need to quote stuff once.

> to my website which is located @ www.jessicahodsdon.com
>
> So that is done as of now, hope this helps.

It helps more if you type it as http://www.jessicahodsdon.com/ so that
more newsreaders recognize it as a link.

So I've gone there and, guess what? You've got a Web site! Congrats.

Now you can change the <title> to something more globally enlightening
than "My sister". And add some text just to see something, like:

consequat tellus nec tellus luctus fringilla. Suspendisse potenti.</p>

And here's a contribution for you to put inside the <style> element,
although at some point[1] you will probably want to move from embedded
CSS like this to using an external stylesheet.

html, body {
font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif;
font-size: 100%;
background-color:#FFFFFF; color:#000000;
padding:0px; margin:0px; }

The most instructional thing you can do is tweak small things in your
code (markup and CSS) and see the effect(s). So don't just accept the
CSS above; add it to your page, view it in some browsers, then change it
and see what happens.

For example, a lot of folks don't care for serif fonts for long online
texts. So try something like

font:100% Arial, Helvetica, "Century Gothic", sans-serif;

instead of the fonts I gave you at first. Try using different colors
(especially if black-on-white isn't what you like). And so on.

HTH. GL.

[1] The point to start with an external stylesheet is probably when you
get a second page for the site.

--
John
Temporarily ignoring the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)
>,

Andrew H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 3:09 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)
> > m>,
> >
> > "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Hello-

> > > I am trying to design and build a website dedicated to my sister. I
> > > have had the domain and web server for a little over a year now, and
> > > during this time I have accomplished very little.

> > Perhaps we can all make one together for your sister? Let me
> > start by contributing the following skeleton (which I expect to
> > see up on your web server and a url provided so we can all
> > continue on on this ode):
> >
> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
> > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
> > <head>
> > <title>My sister</title>

> > </head>

> > Now, what is it you want to actually say or show roughly? We
> > could have it up and running in a few days if you co-operate.
> >
> > --
> > dorayme

> Dorayme-
>
> I have copied the above and will post it to my site ASAP, however, I
> am waiting for my ticket to be resolved and my site to be migrated to
> a Linux server. Frankly I like the idea of open source, and the
> dependability of Linux. As soon as the site is available, which I am
> hoping will be tonight, I will post that with a link to the site. I
> really appreciate the fact that you all have responded so quickly.
>
> As to content. I have an informational essay and I have some content
> that my family has provided. I will edit all of that ... Aside from that, all I am looking for right now is a photo
> gallery and maybe a forum, but really I am primarily concerned with a
> professional and respectful website that does not look like it was put
> together by a third grader (which is what I have now). I also wanted
> people to be able to post pictures to the gallery for approval and to
> comment below the pictures.
>
> Anyway, I am working from a library computer because my motherboard is
> fried ...
>
> Thanks Again

O well, if you are having troubles with servers, with fried
motherboards, with as yet unedited essays, and wanting fancy
things like forums and user changeable content, please expect
long delays.

May I suggest that you could lower your aims to get going and
just dismiss for now about anything more complicated till you
have a nice something up and running?

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)
m>,
Andrew H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hey-
>
> I just uploaded the above:
>
> to my website which is located @ www.jessicahodsdon.com
>
> So that is done as of now, hope this helps.

What is the url to the website please? A url is in the form of
http:// etc and please see that it appears on your browser,
preferably a number of different browsers too.

--
dorayme

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-01-17, John Hosking wrote:
> And here's a contribution for you to put inside the <style> element,
> although at some point[1] you will probably want to move from embedded
> CSS like this to using an external stylesheet.
>
> html, body {
> font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif;
> font-size: 100%;
> background-color:#FFFFFF; color:#000000;
> padding:0px; margin:0px; }
>
> The most instructional thing you can do is tweak small things in your
> code (markup and CSS) and see the effect(s). So don't just accept the
> CSS above; add it to your page, view it in some browsers, then change it
> and see what happens.
>
> For example, a lot of folks don't care for serif fonts for long online
> texts. So try something like
>
> font:100% Arial, Helvetica, "Century Gothic", sans-serif;
>
> instead of the fonts I gave you at first.

Better still, don't specify a font family for the body text, and
let the user's default (and presumably preferred) font be used.

If I have my browser set so that the default font is Helvetica (or
something similar in size) and a page is served with, e.g., Times
New Roman, the text is smaller than is comfortable.

Author:

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2008-01-17, John Hosking wrote:
> > And here's a contribution for you to put inside the <style> element,
> > although at some point[1] you will probably want to move from embedded
> > CSS like this to using an external stylesheet.
> >
> > html, body {
> > font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif;
> > font-size: 100%;
> > background-color:#FFFFFF; color:#000000;
> > padding:0px; margin:0px; }
> >
> > The most instructional thing you can do is tweak small things in your
> > code (markup and CSS) and see the effect(s). So don't just accept the
> > CSS above; add it to your page, view it in some browsers, then change it
> > and see what happens.
> >
> > For example, a lot of folks don't care for serif fonts for long online
> > texts. So try something like
> >
> > font:100% Arial, Helvetica, "Century Gothic", sans-serif;
> >
> > instead of the fonts I gave you at first.

> Better still, don't specify a font family for the body text, and
> let the user's default (and presumably preferred) font be used.
>
> If I have my browser set so that the default font is Helvetica (or
> something similar in size) and a page is served with, e.g., Times
> New Roman, the text is smaller than is comfortable.

This guy is never going to get this site up if anyone suggests
the least thing that is not needed. See how many concerns are
crowding him already? I tend to agree with Chris on this because
it is less to worry about for now.

John's points are all fair enough though. Later we will hive off
the CSS to external. The title point is not a bad one to start
with though (see John's previous post). OP needs a nice short
better than "My sister".

But you have to admit, the site does not seem to have any obvious
visual faults right at this moment. <g>

--
dorayme