Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > which out of these two cables/ports is best for my miniDV camcorder?

which out of these two cables/ports is best for my miniDV camcorder?

redflag

Bert Hyman wrote:
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (redflag) wrote in
> news:elPjj.55336$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Bits transferred in large quantities [packets, I believe
>> is the term] keep their "original" shape better the faster
>> they are moved en bloc.

> That's pretty silly. A packet full of bits is nothing but a bunch of
> individual bits, sent one after another.

Hey, don't complain, I feel the same way as you.

But please keep in mind that I made the distinction
between bits that were standing still and bits that
were in motion.

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that when bits of
data are transferred from one device to another they
are almost instantly set into motion.

The speed of that "motion" of bits taking place
has an effect of their ultimate quality in the
host device.

Otherwise what you say is absolutely true: Bits is bits.

redflag

Bert Hyman wrote:

>> But stationary bits are not the same as bits in motion.
>>

> Do bits move better across a Firewire interface than a USB interface?
>
> Perhaps Firewire cables are internally lubricated.

Yeah, they're lubricated, so to speak, by more conductive
material.

And then there's the fusion of space-age alloys and
fiber optics...

Bert Hyman

In news:bOQjj.55377$(E-Mail Removed) redflag
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The speed of that "motion" of bits taking place
> has an effect of their ultimate quality in the
> host device.

Since the bits in a Firewire interface "move" at the same or faster rate
as in a USB interface, by your standard, a USB connection should be the
same or even slightly better than Firewire.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

redflag

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:bOQjj.55377$(E-Mail Removed) redflag
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The speed of that "motion" of bits taking place
>> has an effect of their ultimate quality in the
>> host device.
>>

> Since the bits in a Firewire interface "move" at the same or faster rate
> as in a USB interface, by your standard, a USB connection should be the
> same or even slightly better than Firewire.

Quite the opposite. For technical reasons I barely
understand (I presume the conductive material in Firewire
is made of better stuff), firewire is faster
than USB.

dj_nme

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:bOQjj.55377$(E-Mail Removed) redflag
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>The speed of that "motion" of bits taking place
>>has an effect of their ultimate quality in the
>>host device.
>>

> Since the bits in a Firewire interface "move" at the same or faster rate
> as in a USB interface, by your standard, a USB connection should be the
> same or even slightly better than Firewire.

That would be USB 2, which is marginally faster than FireWire.

On a video camera, the USB port is usually used primarily for
downloading still images (usually stored on an SD card) just like an
ordinary stills camera, this doesn't have to worry about the portion of
tape with the data passing by the read heads (be it magnetic for DV cams
or optical for DVD cams) before transport protocol has had time to
tranfer it to the camera.
The problem is that most camcorders will only have a USB 1.1 (or USB 1,
which is even slower) port, which is considerably slower than FireWire.

John Navas

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:12:17 +1100, dj_nme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <478feeeb$0$30853$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Bert Hyman wrote:
>> In news:bOQjj.55377$(E-Mail Removed) redflag
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>The speed of that "motion" of bits taking place
>>>has an effect of their ultimate quality in the
>>>host device.

>> Since the bits in a Firewire interface "move" at the same or faster rate
>> as in a USB interface, by your standard, a USB connection should be the
>> same or even slightly better than Firewire.

>That would be USB 2, which is marginally faster than FireWire.
>
>On a video camera, the USB port is usually used primarily for
>downloading still images (usually stored on an SD card) just like an
>ordinary stills camera, this doesn't have to worry about the portion of
>tape with the data passing by the read heads (be it magnetic for DV cams
>or optical for DVD cams) before transport protocol has had time to
>tranfer it to the camera.
>The problem is that most camcorders will only have a USB 1.1 (or USB 1,
>which is even slower) port, which is considerably slower than FireWire.

For Firewire versus USB Hi-Speed, see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#USB_compared_with_FireWire>

These and other differences reflect the differing design goals of the
two buses: USB was designed for simplicity and low cost, while
FireWire was designed for high performance, particularly in
time-sensitive applications such as audio and video. Although similar
in theoretical maximum transfer rate, in real-world use, especially
for high-bandwidth use such as external hard-drives, FireWire 400
generally has a significantly higher throughput than USB 2.0
Hi-Speed.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Bert Hyman

(E-Mail Removed) (redflag) wrote in news:mRQjj.55380$_m.15135
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

> And then there's the fusion of space-age alloys and
> fiber optics...

Don't quit your day job.

--

Bert Hyman wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (redflag) wrote in news:mRQjj.55380$_m.15135
> @bignews4.bellsouth.net:
>
>> And then there's the fusion of space-age alloys and
>> fiber optics...

> Don't quit your day job.

LOL! Good advise!

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "vj" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Sony MiniDV handycam model DCR HC 18. I understand that using
> Firewire connection to transfer video to PC (and subsequently for
> burning DVD out of it) provides a better quality as compared to USB.

Not just that, but firewire is a standard in transferring digital video in
real time, from a camcorder to a computer.
> Now I am not sure which is the firewire port in my PC/Laptop. My
> Handycam has an output marked 'DV out' and with a symbol 'i' near it
> (second output from left out of four outputs present) that I
> understand is the output where firewire cable is to be connected
> (there is another output near it (first from left) with a USB sign on
> it).

This is the 4 in 1 firewire receptacle
..> Now, my problem is like this:

> I have two cables, which both fit in the 'DV out' port of the
> handycam. Out of these two, one cable is having identical connector at
> the other end, and my laptop and my Desktop both have a port which
> matches this. The second cable is having a slightly bigger connector
> at the other end (of the size of a USB connector but thinned out
> slightly from one side, sorry I don't know what it is called).

It's a 6 in 1 firewire receptacle.
>My
> Desktop has a receptacle for this as well, >whereas my Laptop doesn't.

Since you have both a desktop and a laptop, I strongly recommend you use the
former one, since it has more processing power, a faster spinning hard
drive, more powerful processor etc.and so will yield better results.
> I am not sure which cable out of these two gives a better quality
> video. Please suggest.
> Also, what is the 'LANC' output (fourth from left and last output
> provided on the handycam)?

It's sony's proprietary system, for connecting your camcorder to a remote
release or whatever.
> Thankyou

HTH,

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Dave Martindale

dj_nme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>On a video camera, the USB port is usually used primarily for
>downloading still images (usually stored on an SD card) just like an
>ordinary stills camera, this doesn't have to worry about the portion of
>tape with the data passing by the read heads (be it magnetic for DV cams
>or optical for DVD cams) before transport protocol has had time to
>tranfer it to the camera.
>The problem is that most camcorders will only have a USB 1.1 (or USB 1,
>which is even slower) port, which is considerably slower than FireWire.

Even when DV cameras *do* have a USB2 port which they use to transfer
still images at high speed to a computer, they generally just do not
have firmware support for transferring the DV video data over USB2 -
even though USB2 is plenty fast enough for the 25 Mbit/s DV data rate.

I happen to own a Canon Optura 60, which is one of the few DV cameras
that can transfer full video data over USB2. But it requires special
software on the computer end, and the software only works under some
versions of Windows, and it's not clear whether you can use the editing
program of your choice to capture the data even then. In comparision,
every DV camera provides a Firewire port that will do data transfer as
well as providing some amount of remote device control, and essentially
every editing program supports capture via Firewire. So that's the way
to go, even with a camera that theoretically supports USB2 as well.

My former computer was old enough that I had to buy a Firewire interface
card for it. But anything you buy today will probably have a Firewire
port or two on the motherboard.

Dave