Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > which out of these two cables/ports is best for my miniDV camcorder?

which out of these two cables/ports is best for my miniDV camcorder?

vj

Hi all,

I have a Sony MiniDV handycam model DCR HC 18. I understand that using
Firewire connection to transfer video to PC (and subsequently for
burning DVD out of it) provides a better quality as compared to USB.
Now I am not sure which is the firewire port in my PC/Laptop. My
Handycam has an output marked 'DV out' and with a symbol 'i' near it
(second output from left out of four outputs present) that I
understand is the output where firewire cable is to be connected
(there is another output near it (first from left) with a USB sign on
it). Now, my problem is like this:

I have two cables, which both fit in the 'DV out' port of the
handycam. Out of these two, one cable is having identical connector at
the other end, and my laptop and my Desktop both have a port which
matches this. The second cable is having a slightly bigger connector
at the other end (of the size of a USB connector but thinned out
slightly from one side, sorry I don't know what it is called). My
Desktop has a receptacle for this as well, whereas my Laptop doesn't.

I am not sure which cable out of these two gives a better quality
video. Please suggest.
Also, what is the 'LANC' output (fourth from left and last output
provided on the handycam)?

Thankyou

dj_nme

vj wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Sony MiniDV handycam model DCR HC 18. I understand that using
> Firewire connection to transfer video to PC (and subsequently for
> burning DVD out of it) provides a better quality as compared to USB.
> Now I am not sure which is the firewire port in my PC/Laptop. My
> Handycam has an output marked 'DV out' and with a symbol 'i' near it
> (second output from left out of four outputs present) that I
> understand is the output where firewire cable is to be connected
> (there is another output near it (first from left) with a USB sign on
> it). Now, my problem is like this:
>
> I have two cables, which both fit in the 'DV out' port of the
> handycam. Out of these two, one cable is having identical connector at
> the other end, and my laptop and my Desktop both have a port which
> matches this. The second cable is having a slightly bigger connector
> at the other end (of the size of a USB connector but thinned out
> slightly from one side, sorry I don't know what it is called). My
> Desktop has a receptacle for this as well, whereas my Laptop doesn't.

These cables should both be firewire cables, one with a compact plug on
both ends and one with a compact plug on one end and full-sized plug on
the other.
This is a picture of a full-sized firewire plug:
<http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/360773/2/istockphoto_360773_firewire_plug.jpg>
and this is a compact firewire plug:
<http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/360795/2/istockphoto_360795_firewire_plug_small.jpg>

> I am not sure which cable out of these two gives a better quality
> video. Please suggest.

Which-ever cable can plug into both your camcorder and laptop at the
same time should be the correct one.
If you have your capture/editing software running and then plug in your
camcorder, it should be recognised and then be controllable via the
transport controls (play, stop, fastforward and rewind) inside the
program to cue up the video you wish to capture to your computer.

> Also, what is the 'LANC' output (fourth from left and last output
> provided on the handycam)?

From my own research into this, it appears that the LANC port is for
some sort of data/control signal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LANC seems to bear this out, but I've never
used any LANC accessories and so can't really say one way or the other.

Bert Hyman

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (vj) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a Sony MiniDV handycam model DCR HC 18. I understand that
> using Firewire connection to transfer video to PC (and subsequently
> for burning DVD out of it) provides a better quality as compared to
> USB.

Firewire might be faster than USB, but why would it provide better
quality video?

Bits is bits, after all.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | (E-Mail Removed)

tony cooper

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 07:00:20 -0800 (PST), vj <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a Sony MiniDV handycam model DCR HC 18. I understand that using
>Firewire connection to transfer video to PC (and subsequently for
>burning DVD out of it) provides a better quality as compared to USB.
>Now I am not sure which is the firewire port in my PC/Laptop.

You can't make a mistake. The Firewire cable has different plug
shapes than the USB cable. At both ends. Check
http://fwdepot.com/thestore/images/xl_db-35u2fw.jpg where the Firewire
port is at the left, and USB ports are on the right. You may have to
add a IEEE card to your laptop.

>I am not sure which cable out of these two gives a better quality
>video.

I'm trying to remember the circumstances, but my Sony HC-21 would
upload on USB doing something, but I had to add a IEEE card and
Firewire to effectively upload. Firewire is better, but Firewire
might also be required.

Please suggest.
>Also, what is the 'LANC' output (fourth from left and last output
>provided on the handycam)?

A jack to accommodate a wired remote for control of the camera's
functions. Here's what would plug into it:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=1711078
A gadget most of us would never need.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 17, 9:00 am, vj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Sony MiniDV handycam model DCR HC 18. I understand that using
> Firewire connection to transfer video to PC (and subsequently for
> burning DVD out of it) provides a better quality as compared to USB.
> Now I am not sure which is the firewire port in my PC/Laptop. My
> Handycam has an output marked 'DV out' and with a symbol 'i' near it
> (second output from left out of four outputs present) that I
> understand is the output where firewire cable is to be connected
> (there is another output near it (first from left) with a USB sign on
> it). Now, my problem is like this:
>
> I have two cables, which both fit in the 'DV out' port of the
> handycam. Out of these two, one cable is having identical connector at
> the other end, and my laptop and my Desktop both have a port which
> matches this. The second cable is having a slightly bigger connector
> at the other end (of the size of a USB connector but thinned out
> slightly from one side, sorry I don't know what it is called). My
> Desktop has a receptacle for this as well, whereas my Laptop doesn't.
>
> I am not sure which cable out of these two gives a better quality
> video. Please suggest.
> Also, what is the 'LANC' output (fourth from left and last output
> provided on the handycam)?
>
> Thankyou

while some cameras DO have a USB output, your editing software may not
accept it. Almost all editing software can make use of Firewire
inputs.

The LANC connector is a two-way link that provides control. You can
start, stop, maybe even zoom lens, and read the time/footage value if
you want to control camera with a computer.

tony cooper

On 17 Jan 2008 15:29:54 GMT, Bert Hyman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (vj) wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a Sony MiniDV handycam model DCR HC 18. I understand that
>> using Firewire connection to transfer video to PC (and subsequently
>> for burning DVD out of it) provides a better quality as compared to
>> USB.

>Firewire might be faster than USB, but why would it provide better
>quality video?
>
>Bits is bits, after all.

Transfers with USB from a Sony will sometimes be jerky and unstable.
Why, I don't know, but I've seen it.

Some editing programs require Firewire tranfer for Capture. I haven't
used it for awhile, but I believe Pinnacle Studio requires Firewire.
One of the programs I tried did.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

redflag

Firewire. Hands down. It's the small vertical rectangle with
the small indentation in the middle. It should be labeled
"DV/IEEE 1394".

I think that whoever designed that plug made an engineering
error or, at best, an engineering "oversight" which means,in
the pig's English, they ****ed up.

vj wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Sony MiniDV handycam model DCR HC 18. I understand that using
> Firewire connection to transfer video to PC (and subsequently for
> burning DVD out of it) provides a better quality as compared to USB.
> Now I am not sure which is the firewire port in my PC/Laptop. My
> Handycam has an output marked 'DV out' and with a symbol 'i' near it
> (second output from left out of four outputs present) that I
> understand is the output where firewire cable is to be connected
> (there is another output near it (first from left) with a USB sign on
> it). Now, my problem is like this:
>
> I have two cables, which both fit in the 'DV out' port of the
> handycam. Out of these two, one cable is having identical connector at
> the other end, and my laptop and my Desktop both have a port which
> matches this. The second cable is having a slightly bigger connector
> at the other end (of the size of a USB connector but thinned out
> slightly from one side, sorry I don't know what it is called). My
> Desktop has a receptacle for this as well, whereas my Laptop doesn't.
>
> I am not sure which cable out of these two gives a better quality
> video. Please suggest.
> Also, what is the 'LANC' output (fourth from left and last output
> provided on the handycam)?
>
> Thankyou

redflag

Bert Hyman wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (vj) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a Sony MiniDV handycam model DCR HC 18. I understand that
>> using Firewire connection to transfer video to PC (and subsequently
>> for burning DVD out of it) provides a better quality as compared to
>> USB.

> Firewire might be faster than USB, but why would it provide better
> quality video?
>
> Bits is bits, after all.

But stationary bits are not the same as bits in motion.

Bits transferred in large quantities [packets, I believe
is the term] keep their "original" shape better the faster
they are moved en bloc.

Digital images captured in color pose the greatest
technological challenge to program and hardware
designers.

Bert Hyman

(E-Mail Removed) (redflag) wrote in
news:elPjj.55336$(E-Mail Removed):

> Bits transferred in large quantities [packets, I believe
> is the term] keep their "original" shape better the faster
> they are moved en bloc.

That's pretty silly. A packet full of bits is nothing but a bunch of
individual bits, sent one after another.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | (E-Mail Removed)

Bert Hyman

(E-Mail Removed) (redflag) wrote in
news:elPjj.55336$(E-Mail Removed):

> Bert Hyman wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) (vj) wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> m:
>>
>>> I have a Sony MiniDV handycam model DCR HC 18. I understand that
>>> using Firewire connection to transfer video to PC (and
>>> subsequently for burning DVD out of it) provides a better quality
>>> as compared to USB.

>> Firewire might be faster than USB, but why would it provide better
>> quality video?
>>
>> Bits is bits, after all.
>>

> But stationary bits are not the same as bits in motion.

Do bits move better across a Firewire interface than a USB interface?

Perhaps Firewire cables are internally lubricated.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | (E-Mail Removed)