Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XAMPP Help

XAMPP Help

KiwiBrian

I am attempting to set up a local server on one of my XP SP2 PCs to use for
local testing of PHP and simple MYSQL database sites.
Utilizing Dreamweaver CS3.
I have been trying to use David Powers splendid book "The Essential Guide to
Dreamweaver CS3 with CSS, AJAX, and PHP"
However he only describes setting it all up with individual component
installation, and the XAMPP installation seems to create a somewhat
different environment.
I am finding the XAMPP site documentation somewhat overwhelming.
I am asking if there is anyone who uses Skype or Live Messenger for voicing
who could give me a few pointers re their installation etc.
I am reasonably familiar with HTML and CSS and Dreamweaver, although I
usually prefer to use Textpad for creating static sites.
I have several similar PCs that I can use for experimenting and testing so I
think that all I need is a little guidance.
Anyone?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <fmm7eq$4pr$(E-Mail Removed)>, KiwiBrian did write:

> I am attempting to set up a local server on one of my XP SP2 PCs to use
> for local testing of PHP and simple MYSQL database sites.

Why?

KiwiBrian

news:fmn052$jd2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <fmm7eq$4pr$(E-Mail Removed)>, KiwiBrian did write:
>
>> I am attempting to set up a local server on one of my XP SP2 PCs to use
>> for local testing of PHP and simple MYSQL database sites.

> Why?

"for local testing of PHP and simple MYSQL database sites."

Do you recommend an alternative approach?

Mark Robinson

KiwiBrian wrote:
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:fmn052$jd2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <fmm7eq$4pr$(E-Mail Removed)>, KiwiBrian did write:
>>> I am attempting to set up a local server on one of my XP SP2 PCs to use
>>> for local testing of PHP and simple MYSQL database sites.

>> Why?

> "for local testing of PHP and simple MYSQL database sites."
>
> Do you recommend an alternative approach?

ogod, don't ask him that.

He'll go on for ages and probably forget to mention that you could do a LAMP
install as a menu item from an ubuntu server cd.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <fmn27j$kq1$(E-Mail Removed)>, KiwiBrian did write:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:fmn052$jd2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> In article <fmm7eq$4pr$(E-Mail Removed)>, KiwiBrian did write:
>>
>>> I am attempting to set up a local server on one of my XP SP2 PCs to use
>>> for local testing of PHP and simple MYSQL database sites.

>> Why?

> Do you recommend an alternative approach?

Do it on a Linux installation. At least you'll learn another useful job
skill that way.