Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP folder sharing hell......

XP folder sharing hell......

JimTheAverage

I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.

PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
this server to find out if you have access permissions."

PC2 can access folders on PC1.

PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.

PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.

I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.

I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
no avail.

Anybody have any ideas?

why?

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:04:30 -0800 (PST), JimTheAverage wrote:

x-post trimmed to 24hshd from,

24hoursupport.helpdesk, microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

It's not really a setup_deployment issue nor is it problem with the XP
Help and Support center, you know the 1 Start/ Help and Support.

List of XP groups
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...07002&expand=1
several choices.

..basics
..network_web
..general

Search the XP groups first, it's a common issue you have.

>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.

So far , good.

>PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
>I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
>permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
>this server to find out if you have access permissions."

Each PC has the same user account / password(can be different) on each?

Administrator can see all the shares ok or not?

>PC2 can access folders on PC1.
>
>PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
>
>PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
>
>I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and

Wrong.

If none of these are internet connected, so no ADSL, PPP ,PPoE clients
or anything else, you need

File/Print sharing....

>protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning

Wrong.

Only need TCP/IP, ignoring older protocols starting with N

>off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.

Wrong.

Don't run 2 firewalls, if these are on different PCs then you
specifically allow F&P sharing only on the trusted LAN or even safer
on;y from specific PCs to each other.

>I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
>no avail.

Searching old post in 24HSHD for the lists of home networking and more
specific xp file sharing links.

http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics

for xp file sharing , nothing difficult in that choice of words

http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...p+file+sharing

Only Jan 2nd last links posted

Sharing folders with Windows XP?
Both computers have file and printer sharing enabled. Remember to allow
file
sharing on your firewall (whatever you use) setup. You didn't say if it
XP Pro ...
View products that this article applies to. ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874 -
Similar pages Windows XP Simple File Sharing If you're sharing an ...
Jan 2 by why? - 3 messages - 3 authors

There are several other Ms articles, and many home networking sites with
step by step guides (and pictures).

>Anybody have any ideas?

Why not try it with only 2 PCs, get two working first.

Me

Jeepers Creepers

"JimTheAverage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
>
> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
>
> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
>
> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
>
> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
>
> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
>
> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
> no avail.
>
> Anybody have any ideas?

Last time I had similar problems, it was due to services being disabled /
not running. Go start > run > services.msc and check for disabled items. I
believe it was 'network DDE' that I started and things started working...

Worth a try.

-Jeepers

JS

Check to see if the 'Server' service is running.

JS

"JimTheAverage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
>
> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
>
> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
>
> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
>
> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
>
> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
>
> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
> no avail.
>
> Anybody have any ideas?

Cirga

It can be a bit fickle doing sharing between XP Pro PC's.

Two things you need to check:

1) Does each PC have its own computer name? -- going into
properties and checking computer name on My computer

2) Does each PC have a different user logging in? Or do you have
the same login name for each PC? Remember that when connecting to
another PC.. it will usually see the user as computername1\username.
So if you have the same username on all three PC's you could be having
trouble merely because of that. Try creating three seperate username
logins.. and see if that gives you different results.

John Holmes

Jeepers Creepers "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! You ****ing useless sheep****er.

--
Your mother was an alien lunch room attendant who gave blow-jobs to
passers-by under the influence of alcohol.

John Holmes

JS "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
>>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
>>
>> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
>> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
>> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
>> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
>>
>> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
>>
>> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
>>
>> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
>>
>> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
>> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
>> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
>>
>> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
>> no avail.
>>
>> Anybody have any ideas?

<top-poasting corrected>

> Check to see if the 'Server' service is running.
>
> JS

Yet another clueless fool responds. why? already came up with the correct
answer.

--
Your mother was a touchy spammer who ran up huge phone bills in
graveyards.

jim

"Jeepers Creepers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bVsjj.81956$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "JimTheAverage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
>>
>> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
>> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
>> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
>> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
>>
>> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
>>
>> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
>>
>> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
>>
>> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
>> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
>> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
>>
>> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
>> no avail.
>>
>> Anybody have any ideas?

> Last time I had similar problems, it was due to services being disabled /
> not running. Go start > run > services.msc and check for disabled items. I
> believe it was 'network DDE' that I started and things started working...
>
> Worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it ...but no luck.

jim

jim

"Cirga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It can be a bit fickle doing sharing between XP Pro PC's.
>
> Two things you need to check:
>
> 1) Does each PC have its own computer name? -- going into
> properties and checking computer name on My computer

Yes - different PC names.

> 2) Does each PC have a different user logging in? Or do you have
> the same login name for each PC? Remember that when connecting to
> another PC.. it will usually see the user as computername1\username.
> So if you have the same username on all three PC's you could be having
> trouble merely because of that. Try creating three seperate username
> logins.. and see if that gives you different results.

Yes. All 3 are using different user login names.

Now I am getting a message that says...."\\pcname\foldername is not
accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out of you have access
permission. -- Not enough server storage is available to process this
command.

Looking up that last part took me to posts that say to increase the
IRPStackSize in the registry - but it is already at 50 (the maximum setting
for XP - or so I have read).

I even removed simple file sharing on the stingy PC and re-shared the folder
with everyone having all permission - still no luck.

The odd thing is that the stingy PC has shared its printers without a hitch.

jim

jim

"John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nl...
> JS "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>

>> "JimTheAverage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
>>>I have 3 XP Pro PCs. No server. All in same workgroup.
>>>
>>> PC1 can see all shared folders on PC2 but cannot access any of them.
>>> I always get "PC1\foldername is not accessible. You might not have
>>> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
>>> this server to find out if you have access permissions."
>>>
>>> PC2 can access folders on PC1.
>>>
>>> PC3 has the same problems with PC2 as PC1.
>>>
>>> PC2 can access some of the shared folders on PC1.
>>>
>>> I have tried installing ALL of the available clients, services and
>>> protocols for the ethernet adapter on all PCs. I have tried turning
>>> off the Windows (and Eset) firewalls.
>>>
>>> I have tried just about everything I know to share folders on PC2 to
>>> no avail.
>>>
>>> Anybody have any ideas?

> <top-poasting corrected>
>

>> Check to see if the 'Server' service is running.
>>
>> JS

> Yet another clueless fool responds. why? already came up with the correct
> answer.

Shows how much you know....none of the answers thus far have solved the
problem.

jim