Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > High Dynamic Range Images

High Dynamic Range Images

Ockham's Razor

Has anyone here any experience with exposure blending of multiple RAW
images to obtain a single image with "high dynamic range"?

I would be trying to do this with RAW images from a Nikon D50 on a 1.8
Ghz 17 inch iMac running 10.3.9 using Photoshop Elements 4 and
Photomatix 3 as the HDR software (works with 32 bit images).

The images are fantastic but I am wondering if my camera and computer
can handle this.

TIA

--
With or without religion, you would have good people doing
good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

Steven Weinberg

me@mine.net

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:22:43 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's Razor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anyone here any experience with exposure blending of multiple RAW
>images to obtain a single image with "high dynamic range"?
>
>I would be trying to do this with RAW images from a Nikon D50 on a 1.8
>Ghz 17 inch iMac running 10.3.9 using Photoshop Elements 4 and
>Photomatix 3 as the HDR software (works with 32 bit images).
>
>The images are fantastic but I am wondering if my camera

snip
>can handle this.

??? What in the world does your camera have to do with this?

Ockham's Razor

wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:22:43 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's Razor
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone here any experience with exposure blending of multiple RAW
> >images to obtain a single image with "high dynamic range"?
> >
> >I would be trying to do this with RAW images from a Nikon D50 on a 1.8
> >Ghz 17 inch iMac running 10.3.9 using Photoshop Elements 4 and
> >Photomatix 3 as the HDR software (works with 32 bit images).
> >
> >The images are fantastic but I am wondering if my camera

> snip
> >can handle this.

> ??? What in the world does your camera have to do with this?

You snipped where I also ask about my computer.

??? Why did you do that?

I included the camera to find any information about it producing 32 bit
RAW images.

--
With or without religion, you would have good people doing
good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good
people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

dullpain

There is a learning curve but the technique is not hard to learn. Results
are often less than what you might want.
Some images are better off being processed with overlapping layers and
selective use of masks rather than the HDR technique per se.
Your machine is a bit underpowered for processing large 32bit files but it
is doable. If you have the usual Mac with only 1gb RAM you should double
that RAM. The real world of the Mac OS, and Windows too, is that inadequate
RAM when processing large files can lead to system freezes if the OS is
desperate for RAM and accidentally tries to store different items in the
same space.
The usual Mac also has a woefully small hard drive so you should also obtain
an accessory USB/Firewire hard drive if you do not already have one. 32 bit
hdr files are large and eat up storage space.
Not to belabor the point but you have a Mac: underpowered, overpriced and
you have to deal with it. Your dollar will go much farther for software and
hardware if your next computer is a real computer.

me@mine.net

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:33:31 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's Razor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You snipped where I also ask about my computer.

DL the demo and run it, you'll get your answer.

>??? Why did you do that?

See above,.

>I included the camera to find any information about it producing 32 bit
>RAW images.

See page 131 of the "fine manual" for the D50, near the bottom under the
compression heading. What does that tell you?