Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Vista computer thinks home network is an unidentified network, butstill can see SSID

Vista computer thinks home network is an unidentified network, butstill can see SSID

jjg247

I recently moved my wireless router and cable modem away from my Vista
PC. It was always configured wirelessly, as I knew I would have to
move it at some point. I left the computer on when I unplugged the
router etc. and then set them up downstairs.

When I tried to access the network after everything had been set up
again, I noticed that Vista thought my home network was an
"Unidentified network" but still had my ssid in (___). Only problem
was that now my network is "local only". I am connected to the router
as local-only, and tried to adjust my router setting via the router
page at 192.168.1.1 It was returned as page not found. Is Vista
confused? If I was truly conncted to the router and even if internet
was not working I should be able to adjust the settings on the router,
right?

I can access the internet just fine with all of my other devices in
the house, such as Tivo, Ps3 and Windows mobile cellphone. All of
these are able to connect to the internet through my router.

There are other networks available around me, so I tried to connect to
one of those. Same thing, local only. I cannot confirm that internet
works on this other network. But I have narrowed it down to a problem
with my Vista computer.

Help! I am so very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

It seems to me the Vista doesn't talk to the DHCP. To confirm it, post back
with the result of ipconfig /all.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"jjg247" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently moved my wireless router and cable modem away from my Vista
> PC. It was always configured wirelessly, as I knew I would have to
> move it at some point. I left the computer on when I unplugged the
> router etc. and then set them up downstairs.
>
> When I tried to access the network after everything had been set up
> again, I noticed that Vista thought my home network was an
> "Unidentified network" but still had my ssid in (___). Only problem
> was that now my network is "local only". I am connected to the router
> as local-only, and tried to adjust my router setting via the router
> page at 192.168.1.1 It was returned as page not found. Is Vista
> confused? If I was truly conncted to the router and even if internet
> was not working I should be able to adjust the settings on the router,
> right?
>
> I can access the internet just fine with all of my other devices in
> the house, such as Tivo, Ps3 and Windows mobile cellphone. All of
> these are able to connect to the internet through my router.
>
> There are other networks available around me, so I tried to connect to
> one of those. Same thing, local only. I cannot confirm that internet
> works on this other network. But I have narrowed it down to a problem
> with my Vista computer.
>
> Help! I am so very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If you did not change any thing and just moved the hardware these should Not
happened.
If it does occurred it means that by creating a distance between your
Wireless Router and the computer your signal is Not strong enough to make a
connection.
The SSID is kept in the Wireless cache so you see it as a choice, but it can
not connect.
You have to find ways to compensate for the lose of signal.
Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"jjg247" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently moved my wireless router and cable modem away from my Vista
> PC. It was always configured wirelessly, as I knew I would have to
> move it at some point. I left the computer on when I unplugged the
> router etc. and then set them up downstairs.
>
> When I tried to access the network after everything had been set up
> again, I noticed that Vista thought my home network was an
> "Unidentified network" but still had my ssid in (___). Only problem
> was that now my network is "local only". I am connected to the router
> as local-only, and tried to adjust my router setting via the router
> page at 192.168.1.1 It was returned as page not found. Is Vista
> confused? If I was truly conncted to the router and even if internet
> was not working I should be able to adjust the settings on the router,
> right?
>
> I can access the internet just fine with all of my other devices in
> the house, such as Tivo, Ps3 and Windows mobile cellphone. All of
> these are able to connect to the internet through my router.
>
> There are other networks available around me, so I tried to connect to
> one of those. Same thing, local only. I cannot confirm that internet
> works on this other network. But I have narrowed it down to a problem
> with my Vista computer.
>
> Help! I am so very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jjg247

Above poster is correct. I installed Norton Antivirus on the same day
and I think this had more to do with it than actually moving the
equipment.

Results from IPConfig /all had some bizarre stuff in it

For my wireless LAN adapter. . .
DHCP enabled Yes
Autoconfiguration enabled Yes
Link local IPv6 address fe80::943a:e93e:64d:69e7%13 (preferred)
Autonconfiguration IPv4 address 169.254.217.231 (preferred)
Subnet mask 255.255.0.0
Default gateway BLANK
DHCP v6 IAID 318772433
DNS servers fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 and then duplicate entries except
switch 1%1 for 2%1 and 3%1

I tried to uninstall Symantec/Norton, but the same problem occured and
the ipconfig remained the same.

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> It seems to me the Vista doesn't talk to the DHCP. To confirm it, post back
> with the result of ipconfig /all.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "jjg247" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I recently moved my wireless router and cable modem away from my Vista
> > PC. It was always configured wirelessly, as I knew I would have to
> > move it at some point. I left the computer on when I unplugged the
> > router etc. and then set them up downstairs.

> > When I tried to access the network after everything had been set up
> > again, I noticed that Vista thought my home network was an
> > "Unidentified network" but still had my ssid in (___). Only problem
> > was that now my network is "local only". I am connected to the router
> > as local-only, and tried to adjust my router setting via the router
> > page at 192.168.1.1 It was returned as page not found. Is Vista
> > confused? If I was truly conncted to the router and even if internet
> > was not working I should be able to adjust the settings on the router,
> > right?
> >
> > I can access the internet just fine with all of my other devices in
> > the house, such as Tivo, Ps3 and Windows mobile cellphone. All of
> > these are able to connect to the internet through my router.
> >
> > There are other networks available around me, so I tried to connect to
> > one of those. Same thing, local only. I cannot confirm that internet
> > works on this other network. But I have narrowed it down to a problem
> > with my Vista computer.
> >
> > Help! I am so very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Yes, "Autonconfiguration IPv4 address 169.254.217.231 (preferred)" is the
problem ". This post may help. Please post back with the result.

Vista sharing issue because of 169.254.x.x IP
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2985

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"jjg247" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Above poster is correct. I installed Norton Antivirus on the same day
> and I think this had more to do with it than actually moving the
> equipment.
>
> Results from IPConfig /all had some bizarre stuff in it
>
> For my wireless LAN adapter. . .
> DHCP enabled Yes
> Autoconfiguration enabled Yes
> Link local IPv6 address fe80::943a:e93e:64d:69e7%13 (preferred)
> Autonconfiguration IPv4 address 169.254.217.231 (preferred)
> Subnet mask 255.255.0.0
> Default gateway BLANK
> DHCP v6 IAID 318772433
> DNS servers fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 and then duplicate entries except
> switch 1%1 for 2%1 and 3%1
>
> I tried to uninstall Symantec/Norton, but the same problem occured and
> the ipconfig remained the same.
>
> Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> It seems to me the Vista doesn't talk to the DHCP. To confirm it, post
>> back
>> with the result of ipconfig /all.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "jjg247" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I recently moved my wireless router and cable modem away from my Vista
>> > PC. It was always configured wirelessly, as I knew I would have to
>> > move it at some point. I left the computer on when I unplugged the
>> > router etc. and then set them up downstairs.

>> > When I tried to access the network after everything had been set up
>> > again, I noticed that Vista thought my home network was an
>> > "Unidentified network" but still had my ssid in (___). Only problem
>> > was that now my network is "local only". I am connected to the router
>> > as local-only, and tried to adjust my router setting via the router
>> > page at 192.168.1.1 It was returned as page not found. Is Vista
>> > confused? If I was truly conncted to the router and even if internet
>> > was not working I should be able to adjust the settings on the router,
>> > right?
>> >
>> > I can access the internet just fine with all of my other devices in
>> > the house, such as Tivo, Ps3 and Windows mobile cellphone. All of
>> > these are able to connect to the internet through my router.
>> >
>> > There are other networks available around me, so I tried to connect to
>> > one of those. Same thing, local only. I cannot confirm that internet
>> > works on this other network. But I have narrowed it down to a problem
>> > with my Vista computer.
>> >
>> > Help! I am so very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jjg247

Sorry for the confusion. The post you linked to also had another link
inside of it. Would it be possible for you to explain which part of
the link you wanted me to do? Or if you want me to do all of it, maybe
list which step I should take first?

Thanks for all of your help.

On Jan 16, 8:10*pm, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yes, "Autonconfiguration IPv4 address 169.254.217.231 (preferred)" *is the
> problem ". This post may help. Please post back with the result.
>
> Vista sharing issue because of 169.254.x.x IPhttp://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=2985
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
> "jjg247" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Above poster is correct. I installed Norton Antivirus on the same day
> > and I think this had more to do with it than actually moving the
> > equipment.

> > Results from IPConfig /all had some bizarre stuff in it

> > For my wireless LAN adapter. . .
> > DHCP enabled Yes
> > Autoconfiguration enabled Yes
> > Link local IPv6 address fe80::943a:e93e:64d:69e7%13 (preferred)
> > Autonconfiguration IPv4 address 169.254.217.231 (preferred)
> > Subnet mask 255.255.0.0
> > Default gateway BLANK
> > DHCP v6 IAID 318772433
> > DNS servers fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 and then duplicate entries except
> > switch 1%1 for 2%1 and 3%1

> > I tried to uninstall Symantec/Norton, but the same problem occured and
> > the ipconfig remained the same.

> > Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> >> It seems to me the Vista doesn't talk to the DHCP. To confirm it, post
> >> back
> >> with the result of ipconfig /all.

> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >>http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >>http://www.HowToNetworking.com

> >> "jjg247" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

jjg247

Ok I tried to disable both IPv4 and IPv6 separately and together and
neither made my connection work.

I don't think it would be a firmware issue because this exact setup
worked before. How can change the autoconfigure IPv4 setting? I looked
at another device connected to the router and figured out my correct
DNS and subnet settings, where do I go to input those? I can't figure
it out in Vista.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

1. You should not disable IPv4.
2. How can change the autoconfigure IPv4 setting: Your ISP should provide
the DNS IP address. if you don't have one, you may try 4.2.2.1.
3. The firmware may works before or other OS, but after any Microsoft
update, you may need to upgrade the firmware too.