Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Single-pixel vertical line on Inspiron 6K laptop display...

Single-pixel vertical line on Inspiron 6K laptop display...

Cheryl

Two days ago out of the clear blue, the display on my Inspiron 6000 laptop
revealed a vertical line, appearing just left of the screen center. On
first appearance, the line was blue. On each consecutive re-boot, the line
has been rotating through a simple 8-color palette; blue, yellow, green,
red, magenta; even white. It remains in the same position on screen
placement, is only 1 pixel wide (widescreen laptop display), and
occasionally is even intermittent in its appearance. "Refresh" will
occasionally change the display state enough to make it disappear, but it
always comes back.

Evan Platt

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:52:38 -0000, Cheryl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Two days ago out of the clear blue, the display on my Inspiron 6000 laptop
>revealed a vertical line, appearing just left of the screen center. On
>first appearance, the line was blue. On each consecutive re-boot, the line
>has been rotating through a simple 8-color palette; blue, yellow, green,
>red, magenta; even white. It remains in the same position on screen
>placement, is only 1 pixel wide (widescreen laptop display), and
>occasionally is even intermittent in its appearance. "Refresh" will
>occasionally change the display state enough to make it disappear, but it
>always comes back.

Does this bar come on as soon as you boot - even if you boot into the
BIOS?

Does it appear if you plug in an external monitor?

Cheryl

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Does this bar come on as soon as you boot - even if you boot into the
> BIOS?
>
> Does it appear if you plug in an external monitor?

Answers: Yes, the line appears immediately upon boot and also appears in
command line (run cmd) app window. It does not, however, appear on the
external flat-panel monitor I plugged in just last night onto which I
extended this Windows desktop.

ignacio.balerio@gmail.com

On Jan 16, 12:07 am, Cheryl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Evan Platt <e...@*******************************> wrote innews(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > Does this bar come on as soon as you boot - even if you boot into the
> > BIOS?

> > Does it appear if you plug in an external monitor?

> Answers: Yes, the line appears immediately upon boot and also appears in
> command line (run cmd) app window. It does not, however, appear on the
> external flat-panel monitor I plugged in just last night onto which I
> extended this Windows desktop.

Hi, ive the same problem on a Hp nx 9040, i guess that you should
change the lcd screen... if you get anny other solution, please let me
know..

JANA

The vertical line is from either the LCD screen, or the video driver area on
the mother board. It sounds definitely like a hardware fault. I have seen
defective LCD displays make these lines. The fix is to replace the LCD
display when they are defective.

--

JANA
_____

"Cheryl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
Two days ago out of the clear blue, the display on my Inspiron 6000 laptop
revealed a vertical line, appearing just left of the screen center. On
first appearance, the line was blue. On each consecutive re-boot, the line
has been rotating through a simple 8-color palette; blue, yellow, green,
red, magenta; even white. It remains in the same position on screen
placement, is only 1 pixel wide (widescreen laptop display), and
occasionally is even intermittent in its appearance. "Refresh" will
occasionally change the display state enough to make it disappear, but it
always comes back.

Cirga

On Jan 15, 11:42*pm, "JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The vertical line is from either the LCD screen, or the video driver area on
> the mother board. It sounds definitely like a hardware fault. I have seen
> defective LCD displays make these lines. *The fix is to replace the LCD
> display when they are defective.

Common issue with LCD screens. Sounds like someone placed something
"too" heavy on top of your laptop lid while it was closed.. or dropped
something onto your laptop. Either way.. I have seen this many times
on the 40 inch LCD's we have throughout the property here. Thanks to
people bumping the screens with ladders etc. One or two pixels show
bars down the entire screen.. and nothing we can do but replace
them. Hopefully your inspiron is not too old.. and Dell will
replace it for you for free. Cant hurt to call.