Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Question for IT Support/Managers - Providing Personal PC Support

Question for IT Support/Managers - Providing Personal PC Support

Big Dog

A question has been posed to me by several friends that are either IT
managers or IT support staff at their firms.

Often, they're asked by the rank and file to either answer questions or
provide direct support for personally owned PC's (i.e. not related to the
business).

How do you address/handle these requests for personal assistance?

John R

"Big Dog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A question has been posed to me by several friends that are either IT
> managers or IT support staff at their firms.
>
> Often, they're asked by the rank and file to either answer questions or
> provide direct support for personally owned PC's (i.e. not related to the
> business).
>
> How do you address/handle these requests for personal assistance?

The first thing out of my mouth normally is that my job is to support our
'corporate networked' systems. Having said that, I offer whatever
assistance I can without actually touching their machines. If they ask and
insist that they want to bring their machine to me at work, I remind them
that we carry no insurance on their personal machines while they are here,
and that I can only assist them after hours. Even then, I only agree to
simple things like assisting them with spyware/virus removal, or installing
purchased software (if it is something I am familiar with). I try not to
actually touch their machines, instead I ask them to set it up and stand
behind them while they 'drive'.

The problem I get more often is people ask me what they should buy. I tell
them my crystal ball broke last summer and I can't find anyone to fix it. I
remind them that we try to refresh our desktop hardware every three to five
years, and that they should plan on the same. As far as features, I tell
them 'more is normally better', but they should understand what they want to
do with it, and plan accordingly. For instance, if they want their spouse
to be able to do CAD, they better plan on a good video card and lots of RAM.
But, I will never make specific recommendations.

Your whole question really comes down to how nice of a guy you want to be
and how much responsibility you want to assume.

John R

Big Dog

John

Thanks for the great response - I've gotta remember the "crystal ball"
response. I'll pass the info along.

Side story - my sister in law asked what laptops to get. Told her to avoid
Dell and Sony (I've known too many people recently that have had problems
with Dell stuff crapping out, and Sony has their own issues). What does she
get? Sony... She wanted to upgrade it from Vista Home Premium to Business -
turns out that the drivers Sony provided are only for their version of Vista
Home Premium - won't work with Business.

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Big Dog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >A question has been posed to me by several friends that are either IT
> > managers or IT support staff at their firms.
> >
> > Often, they're asked by the rank and file to either answer questions or
> > provide direct support for personally owned PC's (i.e. not related to the
> > business).
> >
> > How do you address/handle these requests for personal assistance?

> The first thing out of my mouth normally is that my job is to support our
> 'corporate networked' systems. Having said that, I offer whatever
> assistance I can without actually touching their machines. If they ask and
> insist that they want to bring their machine to me at work, I remind them
> that we carry no insurance on their personal machines while they are here,
> and that I can only assist them after hours. Even then, I only agree to
> simple things like assisting them with spyware/virus removal, or installing
> purchased software (if it is something I am familiar with). I try not to
> actually touch their machines, instead I ask them to set it up and stand
> behind them while they 'drive'.
>
> The problem I get more often is people ask me what they should buy. I tell
> them my crystal ball broke last summer and I can't find anyone to fix it. I
> remind them that we try to refresh our desktop hardware every three to five
> years, and that they should plan on the same. As far as features, I tell
> them 'more is normally better', but they should understand what they want to
> do with it, and plan accordingly. For instance, if they want their spouse
> to be able to do CAD, they better plan on a good video card and lots of RAM.
> But, I will never make specific recommendations.
>
> Your whole question really comes down to how nice of a guy you want to be
> and how much responsibility you want to assume.
>
> John R

Damn man, how fast do you type?

Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -

John R

"Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Damn man, how fast do you type?

I used to be really fast. Now, I'm just half fast.

John R