Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Use Flash or Not?

Use Flash or Not?

Whiskers

On 2008-01-17, VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Whiskers" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> OP's question: "... which Windows add-ons are dangerous ... Flash ..."
>
> My statement: "Flash is another ActiveX control.".
>
> Your statement: "Odd that Flash should work so well with Linux then,
> as ActiveX exists only on Windows systems."

You seem to have missed the first part of my response to your comment,
which is a simple question - "Is it?".

> This despite the context of the OP's question which placed the
> question of the use of Flash solely under Windows.

My question was in response to your mention of ActiveX. Learn to read!

> Your statement
> implies that Flash couldn't possibly use ActiveX on Windows because
> ActiveX is not available in Linux.

Nothing of the sort. Look again.

> My response was pretty much "So
> what?" (and then a lot of explanation in case you really had no clue
> what was ActiveX and where it came from and also to disprove your
> claim).

You flipped. You have flipped again. Calm down.

>> Flash works on Linux; Linux has nothing like Windows ActiveX;
>> therefore,
>> Flash does not require ActiveX. If the Windows version of Flash
>> /does/
>> require ActiveX then Windows users should be putting pressure on
>> Adobe to
>> provide them with a version of Flash for Windows that is no less
>> secure
>> than the versions of Flash available for other OSs.

> So why would you imply that Flash doesn't use ActiveX on Windows
> simply because ActiveX isn't available on Linux?

I didn't. You've gone haring off after a wild goose that exists only in
your fevered imagination. Now get into that mare's nest and take a rest,
OK?

>> ECMAscript is just another name for 'javascript'; nothing to do with
>> ActiveX (or Java).

> The point was that Flash is just another scripting language,

No it is not. It is a programming language and 'environment' - which
includes it's own scripting language, but is a lot more than that.
<http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/?ogn=EN_US-gntray_prod_flash_home>.

[...]

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

VanguardLH

"Whiskers" wrote ...
> You seem to have missed the first part of my response to your
> comment,
> which is a simple question - "Is it?".

How does "Is it?" alter your second sentence? It only adds emphasis
that you disbelieved that Flash uses ActiveX on WINDOWS because of
some unrelated fact about Linux.

"Flash is another ActiveX control."
"Is it? Odd that Flash should work so well with Linux then, as
ActiveX
exists only on Windows systems (and is a security nightmare if
permitted
to function)."

So what was the intended meaning of your reply? That:

- Flash does not use ActiveX on WINDOWS because ActiveX is not
available on LINUX?

Or that,

- Flash must use ActiveX on Windows because of unrelated information
that ActiveX is not available on Linux?

Please clarify by answering:

- Does Flash use ActiveX on *W-I-N-D-O-W-S*?
- What does Linux have to do with how Flash runs on *W-I-N-D-O-W-S*?

Whiskers

On 2008-01-17, VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Whiskers" wrote ...
>> You seem to have missed the first part of my response to your
>> comment,
>> which is a simple question - "Is it?".

> How does "Is it?" alter your second sentence? It only adds emphasis
> that you disbelieved that Flash uses ActiveX on WINDOWS because of
> some unrelated fact about Linux.
>
> "Flash is another ActiveX control."
> "Is it? Odd that Flash should work so well with Linux then, as
> ActiveX
> exists only on Windows systems (and is a security nightmare if
> permitted
> to function)."
>
> So what was the intended meaning of your reply? That:
>
> - Flash does not use ActiveX on WINDOWS because ActiveX is not
> available on LINUX?
>
> Or that,
>
> - Flash must use ActiveX on Windows because of unrelated information
> that ActiveX is not available on Linux?
>
> Please clarify by answering:
>
> - Does Flash use ActiveX on *W-I-N-D-O-W-S*?
> - What does Linux have to do with how Flash runs on *W-I-N-D-O-W-S*?

Sheesh. Either you're the buffoon who invented ActiveX, or you're just a
buffoon with a serious reading comprehension deficiency.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

VanguardLH

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2008-01-17, VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Whiskers" wrote ...
>>> You seem to have missed the first part of my response to your
>>> comment,
>>> which is a simple question - "Is it?".

>> How does "Is it?" alter your second sentence? It only adds
>> emphasis
>> that you disbelieved that Flash uses ActiveX on WINDOWS because of
>> some unrelated fact about Linux.
>>
>> "Flash is another ActiveX control."
>> "Is it? Odd that Flash should work so well with Linux then, as
>> ActiveX
>> exists only on Windows systems (and is a security nightmare if
>> permitted
>> to function)."
>>
>> So what was the intended meaning of your reply? That:
>>
>> - Flash does not use ActiveX on WINDOWS because ActiveX is not
>> available on LINUX?
>>
>> Or that,
>>
>> - Flash must use ActiveX on Windows because of unrelated
>> information
>> that ActiveX is not available on Linux?
>>
>> Please clarify by answering:
>>
>> - Does Flash use ActiveX on *W-I-N-D-O-W-S*?
>> - What does Linux have to do with how Flash runs on
>> *W-I-N-D-O-W-S*?

> Sheesh. Either you're the buffoon who invented ActiveX, or you're
> just a
> buffoon with a serious reading comprehension deficiency.

Okay, we'll leave it as that you don't want to say what you really
meant by your first reply.

Can I make a Flash Object a live link using html instead of flash? johnsonholding@yahoo.com HTML 8 02-09-2012 05:33 AM
Another flash question - jpegs in flash movie acting oddly. Jim Higson HTML 1 09-21-2004 10:38 PM
flash problem, session id not consistent when using flash with query stirng parameters Bernie ASP .Net 0 09-05-2004 05:28 AM
Is Flash Flash? Targa Cisco 1 11-25-2003 03:34 PM
Why not a Flash -> flash device? Shaw Goh \(NetPlus Micro Computers\) Digital Photography 0 07-16-2003 09:57 AM

Advertisments