Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problem applying profile

Reply
Thread Tools

Problem applying profile

 
 
Kindergarten Teacher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2008
With XP, SP 2 and Intel Proset Wireless, I sometimes get automatic connection
with my wireless access point. At other times, I get connected to a
neighbor's unencrypted network. If I disconnect from the neighbor's, and try
to connect to mine, I often get "Problem applying profile". At other time's
it connects OK. This started occurring only about one month ago. I
uninstalled the network card driver, and rebooted, but that didn't solve the
problem. I also tried letting Windows manage the wireless connection, but it
just sat there "Finding network address". Any ideas?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2008
Make sure that the option 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks'
is unchecked. Or this how to may help.

How to limit wireless connect to only one connection
http://www.wifimvp.com/

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"Kindergarten Teacher" <Kindergarten http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> With XP, SP 2 and Intel Proset Wireless, I sometimes get automatic
> connection
> with my wireless access point. At other times, I get connected to a
> neighbor's unencrypted network. If I disconnect from the neighbor's, and
> try
> to connect to mine, I often get "Problem applying profile". At other
> time's
> it connects OK. This started occurring only about one month ago. I
> uninstalled the network card driver, and rebooted, but that didn't solve
> the
> problem. I also tried letting Windows manage the wireless connection, but
> it
> just sat there "Finding network address". Any ideas?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2008
Hi
If Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) is set to maintain preferred
Network every Wireless connection that you connect too get entered into your
preferred list.
Look at least and remove all irrelevant entries. Do it periodically to make
sure that it is always clean.
http://www.ezlan.net/example/prefer.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Kindergarten Teacher" <Kindergarten (E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> With XP, SP 2 and Intel Proset Wireless, I sometimes get automatic
> connection
> with my wireless access point. At other times, I get connected to a
> neighbor's unencrypted network. If I disconnect from the neighbor's, and
> try
> to connect to mine, I often get "Problem applying profile". At other
> time's
> it connects OK. This started occurring only about one month ago. I
> uninstalled the network card driver, and rebooted, but that didn't solve
> the
> problem. I also tried letting Windows manage the wireless connection, but
> it
> just sat there "Finding network address". Any ideas?


 
Reply With Quote
 
shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-29-2008
On Jan 15, 7:44*am, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Make sure that the option 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks'
> is unchecked. Or this how to may help.
>
> How to limit wireless connect to only one connectionhttp://www.wifimvp.com/
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
> "Kindergarten Teacher" <Kindergarten (E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>
> > With XP, SP 2 and Intel Proset Wireless, I sometimes get automatic
> > connection
> > with my wireless access point. *At other times, I get connected to a
> > neighbor's unencrypted network. *If I disconnect from the neighbor's, and
> > try
> > to connect to mine, I often get "Problemapplyingprofile". *At other
> > time's
> > it connects OK. *This started occurring only about one month ago. *I
> > uninstalled the network card driver, and rebooted, but that didn't solve
> > the
> >problem. *I also tried letting Windows manage the wireless connection, but
> > it
> > just sat there "Finding network address". *Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


I have the same problem, however when i opened up properties on the
wireless network tab, it doesn't have the same window info as the
example. So i'm not sure how to exclude all connections but my own. I
have Windows XP.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lem
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-29-2008
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Jan 15, 7:44 am, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Make sure that the option 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks'
>> is unchecked. Or this how to may help.
>>
>> How to limit wireless connect to only one connectionhttp://www.wifimvp.com/
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>
>> "Kindergarten Teacher" <Kindergarten (E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>
>>
>>> With XP, SP 2 and Intel Proset Wireless, I sometimes get automatic
>>> connection
>>> with my wireless access point. At other times, I get connected to a
>>> neighbor's unencrypted network. If I disconnect from the neighbor's, and
>>> try
>>> to connect to mine, I often get "Problemapplyingprofile". At other
>>> time's
>>> it connects OK. This started occurring only about one month ago. I
>>> uninstalled the network card driver, and rebooted, but that didn't solve
>>> the
>>> problem. I also tried letting Windows manage the wireless connection, but
>>> it
>>> just sat there "Finding network address". Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

>> - Show quoted text -

>
> I have the same problem, however when i opened up properties on the
> wireless network tab, it doesn't have the same window info as the
> example. So i'm not sure how to exclude all connections but my own. I
> have Windows XP.


Try starting your own thread and explain what your "same problem" is and
what example you're referring to.

If your Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog doesn't look like
this, then you're probably using something other than Windows to
configure your wireless connection, and we can't help unless you tell us
what it is.
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml
--
Lem -- MS-MVP

To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<profile><properties> with no Profile class Steven ASP .Net 5 10-24-2008 07:23 PM
Visual Studio 2008 asp.net web administration>profile: "The profile wasn't created"? Andy B ASP .Net 0 05-03-2008 05:15 PM
Want to profile monitor for Fuji Frontier ICC profile? Lynn Digital Photography 9 09-08-2005 12:17 PM
Java Web Start app icons keep going in user profile not All Users profile Brad Java 1 07-19-2005 02:10 AM
Applying a mandatory profile to a user group JH Computer Support 4 08-16-2004 11:51 AM



Advertisments