Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Shareware C Compiler

Shareware C Compiler

Al Balmer

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:17:49 +0000 (UTC), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca
(Walter Roberson) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Malcolm McLean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would want
>>to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this at, a
>>supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

>Supermarket tills are increasingly graphic these days. And I suspect
>that not many manufacturers would be interested in implementing a
>new product line upon an operating system that is no longer supported.

DOS is still supported, and quite useful.
http://www.datalight.com/products/romdos/
http://www.drdos.com/products/drdos703.htm
http://www.jkmicro.com/products/products.html

and of course,
http://www.freedos.org/

>BTW, You might expect that something as simple as an ATM
>(Automatic Teller Machine) might use DOS, but it turns out that
>a lot of them have been implemented in Windows.

My bank switched from OS/2 to Windows-based ATMs not so long ago. The
new ones are infuriatingly slow.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

CBFalconer

jacob navia wrote:
> CJ wrote:

.... snip ...

>> In contrast to lcc-win, for example, which doesn't even compile
>> for Windows 98.

> This is YAL (yet another lie)

Jacob is accurate here, in my experience. While the compile works,
the system does not. The debugger aborts on 'illegal instruction'
when run on a '486 (which executes W98 perfectly well). As far as
I know Jacob has been unable to discover the cause of the failing
in the past 5 or 6 years or so, although he was advised of it
within about a month of the failure occuring.

Try the download section.

Richard Bos

"Malcolm McLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "jacob navia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.
> >

> A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would want
> to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this at, a
> supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

An A2 flatbed scanner we have here _does_ use MS-DOS. There is no need
for it to use anything else, as it does not need to provide a WIMP
environment.

Richard

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Malcolm McLean
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>"jacob navia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.
>>

>A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would
>want to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this
>at, a supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

There are several ROM-DOS implementations and DR or MS-DOS
implementations for embedded systems running the 386. This is not
uncommon.
/\/\/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

CBFalconer

Chris Hills wrote:
> Malcolm McLean <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> "jacob navia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>> As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.

>> A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West
>> would want to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am
>> typing this at, a supermarket till or a juke box could well
>> still use DOS.

> There are several ROM-DOS implementations and DR or MS-DOS
> implementations for embedded systems running the 386. This is
> not uncommon.

There is also FreeDos, complete with source, and maintained.

Try the download section.

Josh Sebastian

(E-Mail Removed)acy wrote:

> There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
>
> http://www.c-compiler.com/

I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other day. Like
many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
documentation, of course.

Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's taking
a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.

--
Josh

Philip Potter

Josh Sebastian wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed)acy wrote:
>
>> There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
>>
>> http://www.c-compiler.com/

> I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other day. Like
> many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
> could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
> documentation, of course.
>
> Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's taking
> a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
> requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.

I wonder if the professor knows somebody at c-compiler.com?

Chris Hills

In article <fmkin6$atp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Philip Potter <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes
>Josh Sebastian wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed)acy wrote:
>>
>>> There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
>>>
>>> http://www.c-compiler.com/

>> I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other
>>day. Like
>> many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
>> could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
>> documentation, of course.
>> Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's
>>taking
>> a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
>> requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.
>>

>I wonder if the professor knows somebody at c-compiler.com?

If it is any help I found a small C compiler (for DOS) which is in
source code form. I don't recommend using it as a C compiler for real
projects but it is interesting if you want to see how a compiler works.
Or rather how they were done 15 years ago. It's a LOT smaller than Gcc

/\/\/ (E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Francis Glassborow

Josh Sebastian wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed)acy wrote:
>
>> There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
>>
>> http://www.c-compiler.com/

> I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other day. Like
> many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
> could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
> documentation, of course.
>
> Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's taking
> a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
> requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.

I think I would wonder if the Professor was getting a cut of the $20
because I cannot imagine why anyone would otherwise recommend it in
light of the documentation deficiencies.

Richard Bos

Francis Glassborow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Josh Sebastian wrote:
> > I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other day. Like
> > many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
> > could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
> > documentation, of course.
> >
> > Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's taking
> > a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
> > requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.

> I think I would wonder if the Professor was getting a cut of the $20
> because I cannot imagine why anyone would otherwise recommend it in
> light of the documentation deficiencies.

I cannot help wondering if the two "Tadeusz Szocik"s are in any way
related, but that's probably my cynicism speaking.

Richard

Good shareware compiler for C? H. C Programming 87 01-26-2007 02:03 AM
Shareware NetFlow analyzer for Windows? WAState Cisco 1 02-16-2005 12:40 AM
syslog shareware ? J Bard Cisco 3 01-21-2004 02:18 PM
Re: syslog shareware ? alt Cisco 0 01-12-2004 09:11 PM
Re: syslog shareware ? Martin Bilgrav Cisco 0 01-12-2004 09:04 PM

Advertisments