Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Barricade router slow

Barricade router slow

Rod Dahl

I have an SMC Barricade 7004AWBR router (w/latest firmware) that's run
perfectly up until now. My laptop connects wirelessly at 3Mbps
down...that's not the problem. My desktop computer is hardwired to the
router and now connects to the internet at less than 26Kbps....doing a ping
also reveals dropped packets from time to time. It's pitifully slow/ can't
even access the System setup page for the router.

When I unplug the desktop from the router and plug it directly into the
cable modem, I get 5Mbps down and 500Kbps up. That leads me to believe
that the network cable and adapter are fine. I've tried different ports
on the router and different cables but no joy. Wired, the laptop behaves
the same....slooooow!

Any ideas on how I can fix the wired connection from this router or is it
toast? I've heard about doing a 'hard reset' but haven't gotten a firm
answer on how that is done. There's no reset button on the back, just a
hole where one pokes a paper clip.

TIA, Rod

John

"Rod Dahl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an SMC Barricade 7004AWBR router (w/latest firmware) that's run
>perfectly up until now. My laptop connects wirelessly at 3Mbps
>down...that's not the problem. My desktop computer is hardwired to the
>router and now connects to the internet at less than 26Kbps....doing a ping
>also reveals dropped packets from time to time. It's pitifully slow/
>can't even access the System setup page for the router.
>
> When I unplug the desktop from the router and plug it directly into the
> cable modem, I get 5Mbps down and 500Kbps up. That leads me to believe
> that the network cable and adapter are fine. I've tried different
> ports on the router and different cables but no joy. Wired, the laptop
> behaves the same....slooooow!
>
> Any ideas on how I can fix the wired connection from this router or is it
> toast? I've heard about doing a 'hard reset' but haven't gotten a firm
> answer on how that is done. There's no reset button on the back, just a
> hole where one pokes a paper clip.
>
> TIA, Rod

It's been a long time since I used a Barricade router
but I found that when access to the builtin setup
page didn't work, cycling the power would fix it.
It happened every month or so. My theory was
that it had a memory leak and when it used up all
of the available memory the web page stopped
working.

The manual is on SMC's website.

Here is the factory reset procedure.

RESET To reset system settings to factory defaults,
please follow the steps:

1. Power off the device,

2. Press the reset button and hold,

3. Power on the device,

4. Keep the button pressed about 5 seconds,

5. Release the button,

6. Watch the M1 and M2 LEDs, they will flash

8 times and then M1 flashes once per second.

Rod Dahl

Thanks for the good info. I'll try the hard reset. Will that reset the
firmware version to the original as well?

Rod

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The 7002AWBR is an old 802.11b Wireless, beside Speed I think that the
Wireless is only WEP, which deems it unsafe too.
It is time for a new Wireless Router.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Rod Dahl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an SMC Barricade 7004AWBR router (w/latest firmware) that's run
>perfectly up until now. My laptop connects wirelessly at 3Mbps
>down...that's not the problem. My desktop computer is hardwired to the
>router and now connects to the internet at less than 26Kbps....doing a ping
>also reveals dropped packets from time to time. It's pitifully slow/
>can't even access the System setup page for the router.
>
> When I unplug the desktop from the router and plug it directly into the
> cable modem, I get 5Mbps down and 500Kbps up. That leads me to believe
> that the network cable and adapter are fine. I've tried different
> ports on the router and different cables but no joy. Wired, the laptop
> behaves the same....slooooow!
>
> Any ideas on how I can fix the wired connection from this router or is it
> toast? I've heard about doing a 'hard reset' but haven't gotten a firm
> answer on how that is done. There's no reset button on the back, just a
> hole where one pokes a paper clip.
>
> TIA, Rod

John

"Rod Dahl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ew$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the good info. I'll try the hard reset. Will that reset
> the firmware version to the original as well?
>
> Rod

No, the original firmware was overwritten when
it was updated to a newer version.

Rod Dahl

I know you're right about getting a new router, but this Barricade has been
so reliable over the last 3 years. I don't need anything fancy....what
would you replace it with? Linksys, D-Link, NetGear? I see people
complaining about just about every brand and, until now, I've never had one
problem with my Barricade.

Rod

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
As O said Not only that it is two or three level behind its time, it is also
Not Safe.
People are complaining about every thing. The easier life become the more
the Neurowares (Units that are based on Neurological hardware/software, aka
humans) complain.
In any case this is a very good inexpensive Router.
If you need extra power het this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=zyxel%2b550
Jack (MVP-Networking).
Disclaimer - I have no connection with any Brand that manufactures Network
Devices (or any other computer hardware), nor any connection to a specific
hardware vendors. My comments are as a frame of reference based on hardware
that I buy with my own money.
=====================

"Rod Dahl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know you're right about getting a new router, but this Barricade has been
>so reliable over the last 3 years. I don't need anything fancy....what
>would you replace it with? Linksys, D-Link, NetGear? I see people
>complaining about just about every brand and, until now, I've never had one
>problem with my Barricade.
>
> Rod

Rod Dahl

Okay Jack, I get the picture! Time for a new one! Thanks for the links.

Rod

Phillip Windell

All of the "home user" level devices (less than $150.00) have their flaws
and weaknesses,...some just more than others. The middle-ground devices
between the retail "home user" and full commercial devices cost around
$350.00 to $600.00. The full commercial ones can be anything from $1500.00
to $10,000.00.

So, it is the old "get what you pay for" thing.

As far as the complaining, people will complain about anything. The easier
things become, the more easier they expect things to be,...the general
public are rarely realistic in their expectations, and are never satisfied.

Personally, I've had a little better performace out of D-Link, but at the
same time the device has less abilities than a comparable Linksys,...the
D-Link could not be configured with any Static Routes so it could only be
used on a single subnet LAN. On the other hand the Linksys had big problems
with FTP transfer speeds that were not solved by firmware upgrades or MTU
alterations. I haven't messed with Netgear, so no comment there.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

"Rod Dahl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know you're right about getting a new router, but this Barricade has been
>so reliable over the last 3 years. I don't need anything fancy....what
>would you replace it with? Linksys, D-Link, NetGear? I see people
>complaining about just about every brand and, until now, I've never had one
>problem with my Barricade.
>
> Rod

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
There is No real D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, etc. Valid comparison. Each Brand
has Good models, and Bad models.
You can compare the outside of the visual design and the color of the
plastic since they are Brand Marketing specific.
The real working of the devices depends on the core chipset.
Devices that are based on Chipset X across Brands would be more similar than
Devices based on chipset X to device based on chipset Y within the same
brand.
I intentionally linked to specific models and Not just sending the OP to buy
Zyxel.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...