Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > file associations

Reply
Thread Tools

file associations

 
 
rocklorian@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2008
Win XP Pro SP2
How do I find out what programs IE will open a file with?
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=GERRY|RAFFERTY&sql=11:jif qxqr5ldje~T3
lets you listen to parts of songs. WMP should come up but it doesn't.
This usually means the .asx files is being opened with another program
but how do I find out what program .asx files are associated with?
Under Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\File types the .asx file
is associated with Windows Media Player so it looks ok.

I recently 'upgraded' my MusicMatchJukeBox to Yahoo Jukebox (which
sucks) and I made sure that asx files are not on that file list.

Any ideas?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
meerkat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2008

"(E-Mail Removed)" <Rocklorian> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win XP Pro SP2
> How do I find out what programs IE will open a file with?
> http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=GERRY|RAFFERTY&sql=11:jif qxqr5ldje~T3
> lets you listen to parts of songs. WMP should come up but it doesn't.
> This usually means the .asx files is being opened with another program
> but how do I find out what program .asx files are associated with?
> Under Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\File types the .asx file
> is associated with Windows Media Player so it looks ok.
>
> I recently 'upgraded' my MusicMatchJukeBox to Yahoo Jukebox (which
> sucks) and I made sure that asx files are not on that file list.
>

Bookmark this site
http://filext.com/

Type in the file extension, and it will tell you what you
want to know.

bw..


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rocklorian@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2008
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:31:30 GMT, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"(E-Mail Removed)" <Rocklorian> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Win XP Pro SP2
>> How do I find out what programs IE will open a file with?
>> http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=GERRY|RAFFERTY&sql=11:jif qxqr5ldje~T3
>> lets you listen to parts of songs. WMP should come up but it doesn't.
>> This usually means the .asx files is being opened with another program
>> but how do I find out what program .asx files are associated with?
>> Under Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\File types the .asx file
>> is associated with Windows Media Player so it looks ok.
>>
>> I recently 'upgraded' my MusicMatchJukeBox to Yahoo Jukebox (which
>> sucks) and I made sure that asx files are not on that file list.
>>

>Bookmark this site
>http://filext.com/
>
>Type in the file extension, and it will tell you what you
>want to know.
>
>bw..


What I need to know is what program on my computer is trying to play
..asx files and not what programs will play .asx files. In MMJB it
tells you what files MMJB is the default player for and .asx isn't
one.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2008
"(E-Mail Removed)" <Rocklorian> wrote:

>Win XP Pro SP2
>How do I find out what programs IE will open a file with?
>http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=GERRY|RAFFERTY&sql=11:jif qxqr5ldje~T3
>lets you listen to parts of songs. WMP should come up but it doesn't.
>This usually means the .asx files is being opened with another program
>but how do I find out what program .asx files are associated with?
>Under Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\File types the .asx file
>is associated with Windows Media Player so it looks ok.
>
>I recently 'upgraded' my MusicMatchJukeBox to Yahoo Jukebox (which
>sucks) and I made sure that asx files are not on that file list.
>
>Any ideas?



Start | Run <type in>
cmd /k assoc .asx
<enter>

Is one way. VLC is my .asx player, so .asx=VLC.asx


Start | Run <type in>
%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%windir%\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
<enter>
Click on assoc for more info.

--

http://www.steelcitysfinest.com/Isuzu.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
rocklorian@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2008
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:11:55 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> "(E-Mail Removed)" <Rocklorian> wrote:
>
>>Win XP Pro SP2
>>How do I find out what programs IE will open a file with?
>>http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=GERRY|RAFFERTY&sql=11:jif qxqr5ldje~T3
>>lets you listen to parts of songs. WMP should come up but it doesn't.
>>This usually means the .asx files is being opened with another program
>>but how do I find out what program .asx files are associated with?
>>Under Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\File types the .asx file
>>is associated with Windows Media Player so it looks ok.
>>
>>I recently 'upgraded' my MusicMatchJukeBox to Yahoo Jukebox (which
>>sucks) and I made sure that asx files are not on that file list.
>>
>>Any ideas?

>
>
>Start | Run <type in>
>cmd /k assoc .asx
><enter>


I get .asx=ASKFile
I don't understand that.

>Is one way. VLC is my .asx player, so .asx=VLC.asx
>
>
>Start | Run <type in>
>%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%windir%\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
><enter>
>Click on assoc for more info.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2008
"(E-Mail Removed)" <Rocklorian> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:11:55 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> "(E-Mail Removed)" <Rocklorian> wrote:
>>
>>>Win XP Pro SP2
>>>How do I find out what programs IE will open a file with?
>>>http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=GERRY|RAFFERTY&sql=11:jif qxqr5ldje~T3
>>>lets you listen to parts of songs. WMP should come up but it doesn't.
>>>This usually means the .asx files is being opened with another program
>>>but how do I find out what program .asx files are associated with?
>>>Under Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\File types the .asx file
>>>is associated with Windows Media Player so it looks ok.
>>>
>>>I recently 'upgraded' my MusicMatchJukeBox to Yahoo Jukebox (which
>>>sucks) and I made sure that asx files are not on that file list.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?

>>
>>
>>Start | Run <type in>
>>cmd /k assoc .asx
>><enter>


>I get .asx=ASKFile
>I don't understand that.


I would think if you tried an .asx file it would ask what program to
use - just a guess.

You want WMP to be your default .asx player, then:

Start | Run <type in>
cmd /k assoc .asx=
<enter>
(will clear the association)

then:
assoc .asx="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Windows Media
Player\wmplayer.exe"
(will set the association to wmp)
--

Born to be alive
http://youtube.com/watch?v=a-aI1Ch39ZU
 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2008
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> Win XP Pro SP2
> How do I find out what programs IE will open a file with?


http://www.dotwhat.net/
http://www.filext.com/











--
http://www.bootdisk.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
rocklorian@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2008
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:14:15 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> "(E-Mail Removed)" <Rocklorian> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:11:55 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> "(E-Mail Removed)" <Rocklorian> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Win XP Pro SP2
>>>>How do I find out what programs IE will open a file with?
>>>>http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=GERRY|RAFFERTY&sql=11:jif qxqr5ldje~T3
>>>>lets you listen to parts of songs. WMP should come up but it doesn't.
>>>>This usually means the .asx files is being opened with another program
>>>>but how do I find out what program .asx files are associated with?
>>>>Under Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\File types the .asx file
>>>>is associated with Windows Media Player so it looks ok.
>>>>
>>>>I recently 'upgraded' my MusicMatchJukeBox to Yahoo Jukebox (which
>>>>sucks) and I made sure that asx files are not on that file list.
>>>>
>>>>Any ideas?
>>>
>>>
>>>Start | Run <type in>
>>>cmd /k assoc .asx
>>><enter>

>
>>I get .asx=ASKFile
>>I don't understand that.

>
>I would think if you tried an .asx file it would ask what program to
>use - just a guess.
>
>You want WMP to be your default .asx player, then:
>
>Start | Run <type in>
>cmd /k assoc .asx=
><enter>
>(will clear the association)
>
>then:
>assoc .asx="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Windows Media
>Player\wmplayer.exe"
>(will set the association to wmp)


The problem is I don't have any .asx files. I'm trying to play the
clips on allmusic.com
(ex:http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...iftxqq5ldhe~T3)
and click on the speaker icon.

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2008
"(E-Mail Removed)" <Rocklorian> wrote:

>The problem is I don't have any .asx files. I'm trying to play the
>clips on allmusic.com
>(ex: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...iftxqq5ldhe~T3 )
>and click on the speaker icon.


Should of mentioned that... the website is broke; cause my Browser
(Opera) works just fine.

I don't hear any songs, and there's no audio/video files in my cache,
well two .asf files but they are only 1K in size.

I tried the streaming audio thing with VLC nada.




--

Dolphin plays with bubble rings
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/104145..._bubble_rings/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2008
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>(ex: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...iftxqq5ldhe~T3 )
>>and click on the speaker icon.


>Should of mentioned that... the website is broke; cause my Browser
>(Opera) works just fine.


I always post too fast, FF want's AMG.DLL

Seems to be an Allmusicguide file
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat...:Allmusicguide
(follow the links)

The website must be trying to install this file, but we're blocking it
(as should be done).

Might try to download AMG.DLL and place it in your system32 directory.
--

Dolphin plays with bubble rings
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/104145..._bubble_rings/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cant add file associations in Firefox 1.0 for winXP!?!??! wtf??? Idolator#556 Firefox 2 02-05-2005 11:37 PM
HELP: Mozilla stealing graphics file associations Emily Firefox 2 02-01-2004 04:07 PM
Firebird file associations? alabaster Firefox 4 10-12-2003 10:40 PM
Firebird File Associations... Slim Win Firefox 1 09-16-2003 11:16 PM
File Associations Smiley Computer Support 1 07-23-2003 11:50 PM



Advertisments