Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Where is the driver and how to connect?

Where is the driver and how to connect?

fasisi

Hello,

I am new to JDBC. Can you help me on how can I know that I have the
driver I need to connect to some kind of database... say MS Access or
SQL Server or Firebird or Paradox?
And how to connect to the database?
Is the 'Java Application Server' needed to connect to a database?
What is Derby?

Thank you,

Fasisi

Arne Vajhj

fasisi wrote:
> I am new to JDBC. Can you help me on how can I know that I have the
> driver I need to connect to some kind of database... say MS Access or
> SQL Server or Firebird or Paradox?

For MS Access or Paradox I believe you will have to use the ODBC
driver for those and the JDBC-ODBC bridge that comes with Java.

For SQLServer you can either use the JDBC driver from MS or the
FreeTDS JDBC driver.

> And how to connect to the database?

See docs for the driver.

> Is the 'Java Application Server' needed to connect to a database?

No.

> What is Derby?

Another database.

http://db.apache.org/derby/

Arne

Lew

Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> For MS Access or Paradox I believe you will have to use the ODBC
> driver for those and the JDBC-ODBC bridge that comes with Java.

Is there even an ODBC connector for Paradox? It's not an SQL-based database
system.

> For SQLServer you can either use the JDBC driver from MS or the
> FreeTDS JDBC driver.

>> And how to connect to the database?

> See docs for the driver.

Individual drivers come from a variety of sources. For example, Oracle, IBM
and PostgreSQL all provide JDBC drivers for their respective RDBMS products.

For massive amounts of information from Sun about JDBC and related tech, start
here:
<http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/database/index.jsp>

Really, it is a very good idea for matters Java to begin with a search
java.sun.com. It's simply amazing how much Sun and others have published on
line for free about all this.

IBM developerWorks is another excellent launching point for Java studies.
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java>

Usenet is not efficient for gaining comprehensive knowledge of a subject.
It's best used to fill specific gaps in understanding and to expand one's
awareness of various issues.

--
Lew

Arne Vajhøj

Lew wrote:
> fasisi wrote:
>>> I am new to JDBC. Can you help me on how can I know that I have the
>>> driver I need to connect to some kind of database... say MS Access or
>>> SQL Server or Firebird or Paradox?

> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> For MS Access or Paradox I believe you will have to use the ODBC
>> driver for those and the JDBC-ODBC bridge that comes with Java.

> Is there even an ODBC connector for Paradox? It's not an SQL-based
> database system.

Yes. Part of MDAC.

Excel is not SQL based, but you can get an ODBC driver for that anyway.

Arne

Lew

Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> Yes. Part of MDAC.
>
> Excel is not SQL based, but you can get an ODBC driver for that anyway.

I see. I guess I'm so used to using JDBC for full-scale queries involving
JOINs and GROUP BYs and the like that I just can't imagine how useful that
would be.

When I learned Paradox some years ago it was really difficult for me until I
figured out that it was much like an assembly language for sets, even to
having a sort-of accumulator for intermediate results. Then it became easy.

I never did come to share the religious fervor shared by many Paradox
enthusiasts. I much prefer SQL-based systems.

Anyhow I should have realized that there could be ODBC drivers for it, as for
Excel or even text files.

--
Lew

Martin Gregorie

Lew wrote:
> Is there even an ODBC connector for Paradox? It's not an SQL-based
> database system.

Just because a data source isn't SQL-based or relational doesn't mean
there isn't an ODBC driver for it.

You can write one for any data structure that can be treated like a 2D
array provided you're willing to do the work to map SQL statements onto
it. Various people have done this, so you can find ODBC drivers for
Excel, cvs and text files as well as various indexed file structures
(dBase, anybody?) and non-relational databases such as IDMS.

There is at least one Paradox ODBC driver. DataDirect
<http://www.datadirect.com> supply one. They look like a good resource
if you need ODBC drivers for a variety of data sources. I have no
connection with them: just had 'em bookmarked for quite a while.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Roedy Green

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:01:53 -0800 (PST), fasisi
who said :

>I am new to JDBC. Can you help me on how can I know that I have the
>driver I need to connect to some kind of database... say MS Access or
>SQL Server or Firebird or Paradox?

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdbc.html

Your driver must be on the classpath.
--