Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > best region-free multi-system DVD player for less than $100

best region-free multi-system DVD player for less than $100

Mamadu.Bwana@gmail.com

Dear friends,

I recently moved to the USA form Europe and I might move to Canada or
back to Europe in the future. I am looking for your advice concerning
the purchase of a DVD player which would allow me to play any DVD in
any country on any TV. However, I do not really understand the
technical issues (such as the difference between region-free vs multi-
system for example).

I found a website which offers *region free* players:

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...talog86_0.html

and *multi-system* players:

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...talog87_0.html

Which is better?

Also, on Amazon, I found this player:

http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-DVP596...0251979&sr=8-1

Which gets good reviews, is not expensive and offers "1080i
Upsampling" though I have no idea what that really does.

My TV is a rather modest POLAROID FLM-1911 (http://www.amazon.com/
Polaroid-FLM-1911-19-HD-ready-LCD/dp/B000FOE052). Lastly, I should
probably add that I never watch TV programs, only rented or purchased
DVDs, but that I have pleny of videos on my computer in *.avi and
*.mp4 formats.

I also watch a lot of DVD purchased in Russia.

Could you please point me towards the right DVD player for such needs?

Many thanks in advance,

Mamadu

Bikini Whacks

In article <f411e541-34fd-4fb1-9526-1d960eee6941
@c23g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Dear friends,
>
> I recently moved to the USA form Europe and I might move to Canada or
> back to Europe in the future. I am looking for your advice concerning
> the purchase of a DVD player which would allow me to play any DVD in
> any country on any TV. However, I do not really understand the
> technical issues (such as the difference between region-free vs multi-
> system for example).
>
> I found a website which offers *region free* players:
>
> http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...talog86_0.html
>
> and *multi-system* players:
>
> http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...talog87_0.html
>
> Which is better?
>
> Also, on Amazon, I found this player:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-DVP596...0251979&sr=8-1
>
> Which gets good reviews, is not expensive and offers "1080i
> Upsampling" though I have no idea what that really does.
>
> My TV is a rather modest POLAROID FLM-1911 (http://www.amazon.com/
> Polaroid-FLM-1911-19-HD-ready-LCD/dp/B000FOE052). Lastly, I should
> probably add that I never watch TV programs, only rented or purchased
> DVDs, but that I have pleny of videos on my computer in *.avi and
> *.mp4 formats.
>
> I also watch a lot of DVD purchased in Russia.
>
> Could you please point me towards the right DVD player for such needs?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Mamadu

LOL!!

All you other spamming twats, this is how it should be done.

P.V.

<(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestissä:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear friends,
>
> I recently moved to the USA form Europe and I might move to Canada or
> back to Europe in the future. I am looking for your advice concerning
> the purchase of a DVD player which would allow me to play any DVD in
> any country on any TV. However, I do not really understand the
> technical issues (such as the difference between region-free vs multi-
> system for example).
>
> I found a website which offers *region free* players:
>
> http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...talog86_0.html
>
> and *multi-system* players:
>
> http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...talog87_0.html
>
> Which is better?
>
> Also, on Amazon, I found this player:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-DVP596...0251979&sr=8-1
>
> Which gets good reviews, is not expensive and offers "1080i
> Upsampling" though I have no idea what that really does.
>
> My TV is a rather modest POLAROID FLM-1911 (http://www.amazon.com/
> Polaroid-FLM-1911-19-HD-ready-LCD/dp/B000FOE052). Lastly, I should
> probably add that I never watch TV programs, only rented or purchased
> DVDs, but that I have pleny of videos on my computer in *.avi and
> *.mp4 formats.
>
> I also watch a lot of DVD purchased in Russia.
>
> Could you please point me towards the right DVD player for such needs?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Mamadu

I'm not sure about multi-system, but I would guess it means that the
player can convert PAL material for NTSC tv and vice versa. The players
behind your multi-system link also seem to accept different voltages, so
you could use such even if you'll need to move again. Most modern TV's
seem to accept both NTSC and PAL video without problems, but if you're
not sure about your TV, it would be a good idea to choose a player that
can do the conversion.

Region-free simply means that the player is set to play DVD's of any
region (USA and Canada 1, Europe 2, Russia 4). I would recommend such
player unless there were some problematic DVD's with Regional Coding
Enhancement (RCE), at least in region 1. They first check if the player
would play discs of any other region by pretending to be a disc of all
other regions one by one. If the player starts playing the disc before
the disc finally checks for intended region, the disc will only show a
message that it is only intended for region so-and-so.

As far as I know this feature is used only in some region 1 discs, while
all(?) discs of other regions would play fine in a region-free player.
Unless someone has other info, I would recommend having two DVD players:
one for region 1 only, and one region free for all other regions.

1080i Upsampling means that the player can rescale the original material
on DVD into TV's resolution, which nowadays is usually much higher that
resolution on DVD. If the player doesn't perform this conversion, the TV
can do it also just fine. Having the player to do the upsampling is
preferrable only if you know that the player you're using does better
job upsampling than your TV. Besides, upsampling-capable players usually
only output in resolutions 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (well, also in SDTV
resolutions 720x480 or 720x576), and I believe your TV's resolution
isn't any of those, so the TV would have to rescale the video anyway.
That's why I doubt if this feature would be worth of paying extra for
such player.

P.V.

JNugent

P.V. wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti

>>I recently moved to the USA form Europe and I might move to Canada or
>>back to Europe in the future. I am looking for your advice concerning
>>the purchase of a DVD player which would allow me to play any DVD in
>>any country on any TV. [ ... ]

> I'm not sure about multi-system, but I would guess it means that the
> player can convert PAL material for NTSC tv and vice versa.

Is that what happens?

I thought (without giving it too much consideration) that a DVD player
simply converts the mpeg material on the disc into whatever sort of
broadcast-type signal the TV set needs to "see", whether that be NTSC,
Secam, PAL or whatever?

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
JNugent <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>P.V. wrote:
>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti

>>>I recently moved to the USA form Europe and I might move to Canada or
>>>back to Europe in the future. I am looking for your advice concerning
>>>the purchase of a DVD player which would allow me to play any DVD in
>>>any country on any TV. [ ... ]

>> I'm not sure about multi-system, but I would guess it means that the
>> player can convert PAL material for NTSC tv and vice versa.

>Is that what happens?
>
>I thought (without giving it too much consideration) that a DVD player
>simply converts the mpeg material on the disc into whatever sort of
>broadcast-type signal the TV set needs to "see", whether that be NTSC,
>Secam, PAL or whatever?

The MPEG bitstream contains flags indicating the TV system that the video
is formatted for. In a non-converting player, this must match the system
of the player or else it returns an error (like "cannot play this type of
disc"). A player capable of dual TV systems may reformat the output for
more appropriate display on the other system.

Mamadu.Bwana@gmail.com

@Bikini Whacks: Jeez, and I thought I was the most suspicious person
out there. But then, maybe "bikini whacking" is not the most healthy
thing for mental balance

@P.V.: so the way to go is a multi-system & region free player? Now,
at the risk of setting off Bikini Whacks paranoia about me trying to
sell something, I would need some help *purchasing* a player (I don't
really care from which vendor). Is there one player out there which
you would particularly reccommend (again, for less than $100)?

@JNugent & @ Mike S: can the DVD players not directly get to the MPEG
file itself like, I believe, computers do?

JNugent

Mike S. wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> JNugent <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>P.V. wrote:
>>

>>><(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti

>>>I'm not sure about multi-system, but I would guess it means that the
>>>player can convert PAL material for NTSC tv and vice versa.

>>Is that what happens?
>>
>>I thought (without giving it too much consideration) that a DVD player
>>simply converts the mpeg material on the disc into whatever sort of
>>broadcast-type signal the TV set needs to "see", whether that be NTSC,
>>Secam, PAL or whatever?

> The MPEG bitstream contains flags indicating the TV system that the video
> is formatted for. In a non-converting player, this must match the system
> of the player or else it returns an error (like "cannot play this type of
> disc"). A player capable of dual TV systems may reformat the output for
> more appropriate display on the other system.

So fpr which system is the video formmatted on a region 0 DVD?

JNugent

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> @Bikini Whacks: Jeez, and I thought I was the most suspicious person
> out there. But then, maybe "bikini whacking" is not the most healthy
> thing for mental balance
>
> @P.V.: so the way to go is a multi-system & region free player? Now,
> at the risk of setting off Bikini Whacks paranoia about me trying to
> sell something, I would need some help *purchasing* a player (I don't
> really care from which vendor). Is there one player out there which
> you would particularly reccommend (again, for less than $100)?
>
> @JNugent & @ Mike S: can the DVD players not directly get to the MPEG
> file itself like, I believe, computers do?

I think they must be able to, otherwise "Region 0" DVDs would not work.

Don Del Grande

JNugent wrote:

>Mike S. wrote:
>
>> JNugent wrote:

>>>Is that what happens?
>>>
>>>I thought (without giving it too much consideration) that a DVD player
>>>simply converts the mpeg material on the disc into whatever sort of
>>>broadcast-type signal the TV set needs to "see", whether that be NTSC,
>>>Secam, PAL or whatever?

>> The MPEG bitstream contains flags indicating the TV system that the video
>> is formatted for. In a non-converting player, this must match the system
>> of the player or else it returns an error (like "cannot play this type of
>> disc"). A player capable of dual TV systems may reformat the output for
>> more appropriate display on the other system.

>So fpr which system is the video formmatted on a region 0 DVD?

Isn't that like saying which system is the video formatted on a region
4 DVD?
It can be either (if it's meant for Australia, PAL; if it's meant for
Mexico or Jamaica, NTSC - more accurately, 25 frames/sec vs 29.97).

The same with Region 0. (The only Region 0 DVD I own is a Secret
Policemen's Balls box set, which is PAL.)

As for the original post, one problem you may have with a "universal"
DVD player is the different voltage systems used in Europe and the
USA.

-- Don

Hatunen

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:51:57 -0800, Don Del Grande
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As for the original post, one problem you may have with a "universal"
>DVD player is the different voltage systems used in Europe and the
>USA.

That's not much of a problem. There's quite a bit of equipment
out there, including my wife's curling iron, that works on any
voltage from 110vac to 240vac, and on either 50 Hz or 60 Hz. just
a matter of getting a plug adaptor. If the nameplate says
110v-240v, that's all that's required.

--
************* DAVE HATUNEN ((E-Mail Removed)) *************