Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > SD memory card problem

SD memory card problem

Jdguay

Hi,
I have a 2gb SD card that I am trying to put pictures on for a digital
picture frame. I have 343 pictures on it right now, all jpegs. When I try
to place another file, jpeg or mp3 I get "error 0x80070052 The directory or
file cannot be created". I still have a ton of free space. Everything is
on the root directory because the frame won't read directories. What is
going on?

Thanks,
Jeff

Chet39

Guess: hope somebody else has a better answer.

Something about your computer has a 1Gb limit. Might be the BIOS. What OS
version are you running.
"Jdguay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a 2gb SD card that I am trying to put pictures on for a digital
> picture frame. I have 343 pictures on it right now, all jpegs. When I
> try to place another file, jpeg or mp3 I get "error 0x80070052 The
> directory or file cannot be created". I still have a ton of free space.
> Everything is on the root directory because the frame won't read
> directories. What is going on?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

flambe

From Microsoft:

"The root directory for a FAT drive has a fixed size and is stored in a
fixed location on the disk. All hard disk drives use 32 sectors of 512 bytes
each to store the root directory. This limits the root directory on a hard
disk drive to 16K: 32 sectors x 512 bytes per sector = 16,384 bytes, or 16K.

MS-DOS uses one directory entry for each file and folder, but Windows 95
uses additional directory entries to store long file names and folder names,
and the associated 8.3 aliases. This means that you can run out of directory
entries with fewer than 512 files or folders in the root directory."

A FAT16 root drive, e.g. your SD card, theoretically is allowed to contain
512 files. However in the real world, as you have experienced, the number
may be less.

If your device can read a FAT32 formatted card you may be able to cram more
onto the root directory.

Kyote

Not really sure this would work but you could try making a directory
for the pictures on the SD card then making shortcuts to each
directoried picture in the root. The picture frame may not be able to
read shortcuts though.

Alternatively you could see if your picture frame can display animated
gifs. If so then get yourself a program that lets you make gifs and
make a few with several of your pictures per gif. Each gif will
animate through the pictures you set inside and you can even make the
delays what you prefer, or add special effects, or even comments
..

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:21:10 GMT, "Jdguay"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a 2gb SD card that I am trying to put pictures on for a digital
>picture frame. I have 343 pictures on it right now, all jpegs. When I try
>to place another file, jpeg or mp3 I get "error 0x80070052 The directory or
>file cannot be created". I still have a ton of free space. Everything is
>on the root directory because the frame won't read directories. What is
>going on?
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff

sandy58

On Jan 15, 9:21 pm, Kyote <kyote_love_at_no_spam_hotmail_dot_com>
wrote:
> Not really sure this would work but you could try making a directory
> for the pictures on the SD card then making shortcuts to each
> directoried picture in the root. The picture frame may not be able to
> read shortcuts though.
>
> Alternatively you could see if your picture frame can display animated
> gifs. If so then get yourself a program that lets you make gifs and
> make a few with several of your pictures per gif. Each gif will
> animate through the pictures you set inside and you can even make the
> delays what you prefer, or add special effects, or even comments
> .
>
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:21:10 GMT, "Jdguay"
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I have a 2gb SD card that I am trying to put pictures on for a digital
> >picture frame. I have 343 pictures on it right now, all jpegs. When I try
> >to place another file, jpeg or mp3 I get "error 0x80070052 The directory or
> >file cannot be created". I still have a ton of free space. Everything is
> >on the root directory because the frame won't read directories. What is
> >going on?

> >Thanks,
> >Jeff

Kyote, WTF are you on about? Who mentioned gif? *If so then get
yourself a program that lets you make gifs and make a few with several
of your pictures per gif.* Just like that? You are adding to the OT's
problem, chum.
Your wandering.

TroyBoy

On Jan 14, 1:21 am, "Jdguay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a 2gb SD card that I am trying to put pictures on for a digital
> picture frame. I have 343 pictures on it right now, all jpegs. When I try
> to place another file, jpeg or mp3 I get "error 0x80070052 The directory or
> file cannot be created". I still have a ton of free space. Everything is
> on the root directory because the frame won't read directories. What is
> going on?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Mate Iv'e got the same problem, and yes I bought mine for $20 off ebay
from HJong Kong...from what I read....Ive been duded!

Baron

TroyBoy wrote:

> On Jan 14, 1:21 am, "Jdguay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have a 2gb SD card that I am trying to put pictures on for a
>> digital
>> picture frame. I have 343 pictures on it right now, all jpegs. When
>> I try to place another file, jpeg or mp3 I get "error 0x80070052 The

There is no space left in the file allocation table.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

curaco@mail15.com

I have 1GByte SD and it has already 365 pictures (FAT16)

Try some utility which read/write directly to sectors
for example http://xedit.smike.ru
and try to read some sector from the last Cylinder, if it is not
possible it problem of your SD drive or SD itself, otherwise it is
something else.
By the way with the same editor you may check type of FAT too.