Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > suggestion about chat s/w based protocol tcp or udp?

suggestion about chat s/w based protocol tcp or udp?

islamelnaggar

hello java guys
beginners and experts
i'm writing java application for chat
will i use udp or tcp?

or udp for voice based chat
and tcp for texted based

i'm waiting to discuss which better etc...

Regards

Christian

islamelnaggar schrieb:
> hello java guys
> beginners and experts
> i'm writing java application for chat
> will i use udp or tcp?
>
> or udp for voice based chat
> and tcp for texted based
>
> i'm waiting to discuss which better etc...
>

> Regards

For text based chat the answer is clearly tcp.
For voice chat it depends of your encoding... if for example you are
encoding with mpeg-1 layer3 then you might better use tcp as every
packet must arrive. Though If you have an encoding that allows loss of
some information just resulting in some lower quality for some time ..
then it might be better to use UDP ...
Though in general I would recommend you TCP as it works better in the
presens of NAT .. with UDP both clients need their ports forwarded ...
with tcp only one...

islamelnaggar

On Jan 13, 2:34*pm, Christian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> islamelnaggarschrieb:
>
> > hello java guys
> > beginners and experts
> > i'm writing java application for chat
> > will i use udp or tcp?

> > or udp for voice based chat
> > and tcp for texted based

> > i'm waiting to discuss which better etc...

> > Regards

> For text based chat the answer is clearly tcp.
> For voice chat it depends of your encoding... if for example you are
> encoding with mpeg-1 layer3 then you might better use tcp as every
> packet must arrive. Though If you have an encoding that allows loss of
> some information just resulting in some lower quality for some time ..
> then it might be better to use UDP ...
> Though in general I would recommend you TCP as it works better in the
> presens of NAT .. with UDP both clients need their ports forwarded ...
> with tcp only one...

thanksfor u reply
any anthor suggestion??

regards

Lew

islamelnaggarschrieb:
>>> hello java guys

It's "Java", not "java", and not all readers of this group are "guys".

islamelnaggar wrote:
> thanksfor u reply

"u"? What's that?

> any anthor suggestion??

Assuming you are asking for "another" suggestion, what was wrong with the
answer given?

--
Lew

islamelnaggar

On Jan 14, 2:17*am, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's "Java", not "java", and not all readers of this group are "guys".

> Christian wrote:
> >> For text based chat the answer is clearly tcp.
> >> For voice chat it depends of your encoding... if for example you are
> >> encoding with mpeg-1 layer3 then you might better use tcp as every
> >> packet must arrive. Though If you have an encoding that allows loss of
> >> some information just resulting in some lower quality for some time ..
> >> then it might be better to use UDP ...
> >> Though in general I would recommend you TCP as it works better in the
> >> presens of NAT .. with UDP both clients need their ports forwarded ...
> >> with tcp only one...islamelnaggarwrote:

> > thanksfor u reply

> "u"? *What's that?
>
> > any anthor suggestion??

> Assuming you are asking for "another" suggestion, what was wrong with the
> answer given?
>
> --
> Lew- Hide quoted text -

thanks for your reply sir

but we are in technical group not in an official work-place or
whatever so both
java and Java are some "all ways are the same" then guys i mean all
developers both women and men
so sorry don't discuss outside main thread issue

it's not a question it's a techniqual discussion do we need to see all
developers not gurs reply
and experience here

thanks