Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to restore a video in VFO format to a DVD?

How to restore a video in VFO format to a DVD?

Knowledge

I deleted a file from a DVD that is in the format of "VR_movie.vro" I
have not written anything over the deleted video file.

It shows up in the file manager, but not with a round record looking
gold disc, but rather with a "document" type icon and it says it is
498MB

So it is apparently still on the DVD.

What software will recover it?

Felice anno Nuovo!

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Knowledge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I deleted a file from a DVD that is in the format of "VR_movie.vro" I
>have not written anything over the deleted video file.
>
>It shows up in the file manager, but not with a round record looking
>gold disc, but rather with a "document" type icon and it says it is
>498MB
>
>So it is apparently still on the DVD.
>
>What software will recover it?

Isobuster
http://www.isobuster.com/

Not sure how much you can do with the free version.
--

Comet Between Fireworks and Lightning
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070205.html

VanguardLH

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Isobuster
> http://www.isobuster.com/
>
> Not sure how much you can do with the free version.

"IsoBuster registration key to unlock Pro functionality"

Too bad they don't actually delineate in their features list which one
are NOT in the free version. They show a *full* feature list but no
comparison list betwee free and full versions.

VanguardLH

"Knowledge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I deleted a file from a DVD that is in the format of "VR_movie.vro" I
> have not written anything over the deleted video file.
>
> It shows up in the file manager, but not with a round record looking
> gold disc, but rather with a "document" type icon and it says it is
> 498MB
>
> So it is apparently still on the DVD.
>
> What software will recover it?
>
> Felice anno Nuovo!

Capacities of recordable media do not change when you delete files.
Deleting a file simply has its entry removed from the last copy of the
TOC (table of contents). Not until you format the disc with the file
actually get purged from the disc. That's why you can repeatedly
write, say, a 10KB file over and over to a CD-R or DVD-R and
eventually consume all the space on the disc because of all the old
copies still on the disc that simply no longer have a pointer to them
in the latest TOC. Obviously you could never "delete" a file (remove
it from the latest TOC) unless the disc was [re]recordable.

Google does work.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Brecover+%2Bdeleted+%2Bfile+%2B"DVD-R"
(add "+free" or "+freeware" if you only want freebie solutions)

I thought .vro was used for DVD-RAM. Is that what you recorded to?

VanguardLH

"VanguardLH" wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
>>
>> Isobuster
>> http://www.isobuster.com/
>>
>> Not sure how much you can do with the free version.

> "IsoBuster registration key to unlock Pro functionality"
>
> Too bad they don't actually delineate in their features list which
> one are NOT in the free version. They show a *full* feature list
> but no comparison list betwee free and full versions.

I have found one difference between the free and full versions:

"The difference is that for files in the UDF file system (e.g. CDs
written with Roxio Direct CD or Ahead InCD, or ... ) extraction won't
work until you are registered.

Extracting from IFO might be another restriction for the free version.

cybergonzo@gmail.com

> > Too bad they don't actually delineate in their features list which
> > one are NOT in the free version. *They show a *full* feature list
> > but no comparison list betwee free and full versions.

FYI
http://www.isobuster.com/license-models.php

Knowledge

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 06:18:54 -0600, "VanguardLH"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Knowledge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I deleted a file from a DVD that is in the format of "VR_movie.vro" I
>> have not written anything over the deleted video file.
>>
>> It shows up in the file manager, but not with a round record looking
>> gold disc, but rather with a "document" type icon and it says it is
>> 498MB
>>
>> So it is apparently still on the DVD.
>>
>> What software will recover it?
>>
>> Felice anno Nuovo!
>>

>Capacities of recordable media do not change when you delete files.
>Deleting a file simply has its entry removed from the last copy of the
>TOC (table of contents). Not until you format the disc with the file
>actually get purged from the disc. That's why you can repeatedly
>write, say, a 10KB file over and over to a CD-R or DVD-R and
>eventually consume all the space on the disc because of all the old
>copies still on the disc that simply no longer have a pointer to them
>in the latest TOC. Obviously you could never "delete" a file (remove
>it from the latest TOC) unless the disc was [re]recordable.
>
>Google does work.
>http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Brecover+%2Bdeleted+%2Bfile+%2B"DVD-R"
>(add "+free" or "+freeware" if you only want freebie solutions)
>
>I thought .vro was used for DVD-RAM. Is that what you recorded to?

The video files is about seven hours of video from the surveillance
camera looking out my living room window.

It goes from the Canon VCc-50Ir into the Sony DVD HD VCR Tape
recorder.

The other two files on it end in .bup and .ifo

I need to recover the .VRO one. So I can look at something that
happened last Friday night, or early Saturday morning.

So far ISOBuster won't recover it. Perhaps I'm not taking the correct
steps. I did order the registered version of 2.3 Pro also.

Spater

chuckcar

Knowledge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 06:18:54 -0600, "VanguardLH"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Knowledge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I deleted a file from a DVD that is in the format of "VR_movie.vro" I
>>> have not written anything over the deleted video file.
>>>
>>> It shows up in the file manager, but not with a round record looking
>>> gold disc, but rather with a "document" type icon and it says it is
>>> 498MB
>>>
>>> So it is apparently still on the DVD.
>>>
>>> What software will recover it?

> The other two files on it end in .bup and .ifo
>
> I need to recover the .VRO one. So I can look at something that
> happened last Friday night, or early Saturday morning.
>
> So far ISOBuster won't recover it. Perhaps I'm not taking the correct
> steps. I did order the registered version of 2.3 Pro also.
>
> Spater

Try playing the .ifo file with a DVD player program. You might also try
just opening the .vro file manually with Media Player. That is start
Media Player and then browse to that file. No Guarantees, but it might
work - the extension might be different than it's "supposed" to be.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )