Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Framing in darkness

Framing in darkness

steamer

--I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
Anyone seen such a beastie?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : All the candidates
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : are JERKS!!

John Navas

On 11 Jan 2008 22:34:32 GMT, steamer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<4787eef8$0$36363$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
>soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
>infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
>Anyone seen such a beastie?

Not AFAIK, but some cameras have boosted EVF that can work in near
darkness.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Pat

On Jan 11, 5:34*pm, steamer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * * * * --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
> soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
> infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
> Anyone seen such a beastie?
>
> --
> * * * * "Steamboat Ed" Haas * * * * : *All the candidates * * * * * *
> * * * * Hacking the Trailing Edge! *: *are JERKS!!
> * * * * * * * * * * * * *www.nmpproducts.com
> * * * * * * * * * *---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

I haven't seen one but you have a few options.

It is fairly common to remove the IR filter from a dSLR and use it to
shoot IR. So there's not reason you could do that and frame by taking
pics or you could do it to a P&S with a "live screen".

You could also get an old-fashioned framing guide that goes on your
hot-shoe to approximate the framing without having to look through the
camera as all.

Finally, you could rig a night vision scope to a camera and just use
night-vision.

David J. Littleboy

"steamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
> soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see"
> (in
> infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total
> darkness.
> Anyone seen such a beastie?

The Sony F707 and F717 used to do that. The F828 also. (They included their
own IR light source, so it worked fairly well.) I don't know if there are
any more recent cameras that have it, though.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Matt Ion

steamer wrote:
> --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
> soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
> infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
> Anyone seen such a beastie?

How about carrying a flashlight?

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 11, 4:34 pm, steamer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
> soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
> infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
> Anyone seen such a beastie?
>
> --
> "Steamboat Ed" Haas : All the candidates
> Hacking the Trailing Edge! : are JERKS!!
> www.nmpproducts.com
> ---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

If you are shooting in total darkness it is unlikely you will get
anything. The sensors only see NEAR infrared- out to just over one
micron. Unless you have a special near IR illuminator you will not
see much if there is not SOME source of light.

Do not expect to see THERMAL IR, that is, the radiation given off by
the heat of an object. That begins at about four to five microns,
which is invisible to silicon sensors.

steamer

--Building an IR illuminator is trivial, but will the camera see it
without tinkering in its guts to remove the filter? That's my concern: if I
open up a new camera I'll probably destroy it, heh. Looking, I guess, for a
camera that's set up with an IR filter that's switchable, on/off. Anything
like that on the market?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : All the candidates
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : are JERKS!!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Pat

On Jan 11, 5:34*pm, steamer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * * * * --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
> soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
> infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
> Anyone seen such a beastie?
>
> --
> * * * * "Steamboat Ed" Haas * * * * : *All the candidates * * * * * *
> * * * * Hacking the Trailing Edge! *: *are JERKS!!
> * * * * * * * * * * * * *www.nmpproducts.com
> * * * * * * * * * *---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

There are few things in photography that someone else hasn't already
done. What are you trying to do. There might be alternative
solutions out there.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Ο "steamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> έγραψε στο μήνυμα
news:4788f7fe$0$36385$(E-Mail Removed)...
> --Building an IR illuminator is trivial, but will the camera see it
> without tinkering in its guts to remove the filter? That's my concern: if

> open up a new camera I'll probably destroy it, heh. Looking, I guess, for

> camera that's set up with an IR filter that's switchable, on/off. Anything
> like that on the market?

Yes-but only camcorders.All sony camcorders have a night vision mode, that
allows them to shoot in total darkness.They have a switch that removes the
IR filter, and turns on some special IR leds.

HTH,

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

steamer

Pat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There are few things in photography that someone else hasn't already
>done. What are you trying to do. There might be alternative
>solutions out there.

--The problem is *finding* what I'm trying to snap so that it's well
centered when I push the button. The other goal is to get decent "light"
when light is poor so that I can video things like fire spinning, vehicles
with poorly illuminated effects (EL wire) at Burning Man.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : The impeachment process
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : exists for a reason...

D70 Darkness! Help! PJC Digital Photography 10 06-16-2004 12:04 AM
DS3 M13 framing vs. M23 framing Joe McGuckin Cisco 1 10-30-2003 06:54 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? Shrapnel DVD Video 2 06-26-2003 06:24 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? Kevin DVD Video 2 06-25-2003 01:12 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? JWB DVD Video 0 06-23-2003 03:51 PM

Advertisments