Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Media > Can anyone help with lyrics to an old song?

Can anyone help with lyrics to an old song?

Peggy Peggy is offline
Junior Member

My Dad sang this song when he was in Grade 1 in late 1920s. It goes, "Jimmy dear you'll have to tend the baby, Take your little sister for a walk", and then something about "around the block". Would anyone know the lyrics to this song? We would like to sing it to him on his 85th birthday later this year.
Thanks.

kris20 kris20 is offline
Junior Member

A suggestion only.
Do you know where your father was in 1st grade?
If so, contact the school if it still exist.
Most schools have a newsletter.
Ask if the query can be placed in it.

cyraxx cyraxx is offline
Junior Member

it is call blind love by frank 888

jaynabq jaynabq is offline
Junior Member

My Grammy used to sing this song to her kids, but sadly, my mother didn't sing it to me, so I never learned it. I have a single verse, dictated by my grandmother, and the chorus, dictated by my mom, but the song is not complete. My mom says it had a verse about playing baseball in it, but I will have to get back to you on those verses. If I can catch my mom or aunts singing it on a digital recorder I'll post it so you can hear the tune, too.

Here are the lyrics I have:

Dear Folks, behold a little boy who’s feeling very sad.
The way that I am picked upon would make a preacher mad.
I carry water, coal, and wood, and errands run all day,
But when I want to go and play I hear my mother say,

CHORUS:
Jimmy Dear, you’ll have to tend the baby,
Take your little sister for a walk.
You can rock her in the little cradle, maybe,
Or push her in the go-cart round the block.
Never pout or frown when mother calls you,
Little boys should cheerfully obey.
Ain’t it tough to be a boy!
Never get a bit of joy,
But have to tend the baby every day!

Hope this warms your heart!
~Jayna

brksjff brksjff is offline
Junior Member

My grandma used to sing this song to me when my sister was a baby (and replace "Jimmy" with my name). I never knew where she learned it, but she was in grade school in the 1920s, consistent with what someone wrote above. She grew up in Columbus, Nebraska.

Does anyone have a recording of the song? I can't remember how the entire melody went.