Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XML graphics

XML graphics

Reds

What are the ways to represent XML graphics?
Is SVG the most practical way?
Is there a way that doesn't need a conversion process, as SVG does?
What about just jpg, gif, bmp?

I have the original graphics in PowerPoint. What are the ways to go from
this format to XML?

usenet@tech-know-ware.com

On 11 Jan, 19:07, Reds <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What are the ways to represent XML graphics?
> Is SVG the most practical way? *
> Is there a way that doesn't need a conversion process, as SVG does?
> What about just jpg, gif, bmp?
>
> I have the original graphics in PowerPoint. What are the ways to go from
> this format to XML?

Please see partially relevant answer at:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...800ca60a1c2525

In general it wouldn't be possible or sensible to convert a bmp, jpg
or gif into a vector format.

Some of PowerPoint will be vector based though so it might be possible
to do a particla conversion with the right tool.

HTH,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic
Visit http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/ for XML C++ data binding

Joseph Kesselman

(Replying only to comp.text.xml; the tw.* group is not reachable via my
news servers.)

Reds wrote:
> What are the ways to represent XML graphics?
> Is SVG the most practical way?

Depends on what you're going to be doing.

SVG is certainly a suitable language for expressing a graphical model in
XML.

> What about just jpg, gif, bmp?

As far as XML is concerned, those are all just binary data. You can't
embed arbitrary binary in an XML document, but there's no reason you
couldn't reference it as a separate URI (the same solution HTML and
XHTML used). If you really need to put binary data inside the XML
document, you'll want to convert it in a form XML will accept -- the
usual solution is base-64 encoding.

> I have the original graphics in PowerPoint. What are the ways to go from
> this format to XML?

I know nothing about Powerpoint's internal representation. Try asking
Microsoft, or finding a tool which already does what you need. I *think*
the Open Office suite can import Powerpoint files into their
representation (which I think is XML based), but I haven't tried doing it.