Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft Works?

Microsoft Works?

Dave

How useful is this program at opening Word Document files? I
understand that Works Word Processor is capable of opening and saving
in .doc format. But what would happen if I tried to open a Word .doc
file which incorporates some of Words more advanced editing features
in to Works Word Processor? Would it open them but limited to it's own
editing features or not be able to open them at all?

Also would the be any problem the other way around? Say if I were to
save a file in Works Word Processor as a .doc file, would that then
have any compatibly issues with opening and editing it in Word?

Many thanks for any advice,

thanatoid

Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)
ups.com:

> How useful is this program at opening Word Document files?
> I understand that Works Word Processor is capable of
> opening and saving in .doc format. But what would happen if
> I tried to open a Word .doc file which incorporates some of
> Words more advanced editing features in to Works Word
> Processor? Would it open them but limited to it's own
> editing features or not be able to open them at all?
>
> Also would the be any problem the other way around? Say if
> I were to save a file in Works Word Processor as a .doc
> file, would that then have any compatibly issues with
> opening and editing it in Word?
>
> Many thanks for any advice,

Not compatible. Thank Microsoft.

http://www.xtort.net/office-and-prod...floppy-office/
Has many links, as well.

For advanced features, get a DTP program.

--
Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion.
Edward Abbey (1927 - 1989)

Dave wrote:

> How useful is this program at opening Word Document files? I
> understand that Works Word Processor is capable of opening and saving
> in .doc format. But what would happen if I tried to open a Word .doc
> file which incorporates some of Words more advanced editing features
> in to Works Word Processor? Would it open them but limited to it's own
> editing features or not be able to open them at all?
>
> Also would the be any problem the other way around? Say if I were to
> save a file in Works Word Processor as a .doc file, would that then
> have any compatibly issues with opening and editing it in Word?
>
> Many thanks for any advice,

Yes Open Office - all free with source code
http://www.openoffice.org

Its also compatible across different OSes.
Like most Linux has Open Office built in,
and Open Office supports the international ODF standard
for documents - so you should be able to write in
any ODF compliant wordprocessor and open it in any other.

http://www.livecdlist.com - boot up a livecd like ubuntu or knoppix
and see it working without having to install anything on your PC.

PeeCee

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How useful is this program at opening Word Document files? I
> understand that Works Word Processor is capable of opening and saving
> in .doc format. But what would happen if I tried to open a Word .doc
> file which incorporates some of Words more advanced editing features
> in to Works Word Processor? Would it open them but limited to it's own
> editing features or not be able to open them at all?
>
> Also would the be any problem the other way around? Say if I were to
> save a file in Works Word Processor as a .doc file, would that then
> have any compatibly issues with opening and editing it in Word?
>
> Many thanks for any advice,

Dave

Not a good idea to rely on Works being able to open any given 'Word' file.
The copy of Works I got on a laptop purchased last year seemed capable of
opening 2003 format .doc files, but since then Office 2007 and it's new
format have appeared.

As 7 suggests a better option is Open Office which will not only open Word
..doc files but is more likely to be able to open any new format developed.

And of course OO is free and updates will be free, whereas what ever version
of Works you buy will be stuck at that version untill you spend more money
for the latest version.

Best
Paul.

Plato

Dave wrote:

> How useful is this program at opening Word Document files? I

Use Word for best results.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

PeeCee wrote:
[Microsoft Works:]
> As 7 suggests a better option is Open Office which will not only open
> Word .doc files but is more likely to be able to open any new format
> developed.

Last month a client sent me a Works file. OpenOffice would not open it,
and did not recognize the .wps format.

(Isn't "Microsoft Works" similar to "Military Intelligence" ?)

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

PeeCee

news:303ij.128243$(E-Mail Removed)...
> PeeCee wrote:
> [Microsoft Works:]
>> As 7 suggests a better option is Open Office which will not only open
>> Word .doc files but is more likely to be able to open any new format
>> developed.

> Last month a client sent me a Works file. OpenOffice would not open it,
> and did not recognize the .wps format.
>
> (Isn't "Microsoft Works" similar to "Military Intelligence" ?)
>
> --
> -bts
> -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

BTS

Yep that would be likely, .wps is a royal pain in the rear to open without
Works.
Another example of why there should be an 'Open' document format
However what I was refering to in my comments was the likelyhood of OO
developing filters for 'new' document formats in the future.
i.e. all those proprietry 'open' formats that a certain monopoly keeps
proposing.

Paul.