Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > check my lotto programs

check my lotto programs

Andreas Leitgeb

Tim Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You are given a choice to pick one of the following 33 games to play:
> for n=0..32: A random number generator generates a number in [0,1]. If it is
> in [0,1/(2^n)), you win 2^n dollars.
> All 33 of these games have the same expected result for you: $1. Which
> would you play? You only get one try.

I would play the one, whose win would enable me to do more than waste it
for fun on a single day ...

PS: I do play lottery (almost) regularly, but with minimum bets. That costs
me abit less than 90Eur per year - a cost which I can bear to lose - for the
gain of a little dose of hope twice a week. If there was a lottery
system (that's still anonymous) with smaller prices, (half bet and half win,
or same bet, half win at double likelyhood), I'd prefer that.

Lew

Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
> Tim Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> You are given a choice to pick one of the following 33 games to play:
>> for n=0..32: A random number generator generates a number in [0,1]. If it is
>> in [0,1/(2^n)), you win 2^n dollars.
>> All 33 of these games have the same expected result for you: $1. Which
>> would you play? You only get one try.

> I would play the one, whose win would enable me to do more than waste it
> for fun on a single day ...
>
> PS: I do play lottery (almost) regularly, but with minimum bets. That costs
> me abit less than 90Eur per year - a cost which I can bear to lose - for the
> gain of a little dose of hope twice a week. If there was a lottery
> system (that's still anonymous) with smaller prices, (half bet and half win,
> or same bet, half win at double likelyhood), I'd prefer that.

I would go for the maximum prize. My reasoning is that my odds of winning are
only negligibly larger than if I don't play, regardless of the scenario. So
if I win at all, I prefer to win in a way that obviates the need to play again.

I agree that the "little dose of hope" is the actual payoff.

The odds of getting hit by a car are greater than those of winning the
lottery, but people still cross the street to buy a ticket.

--
Lew
I am honored that Argi saw fit to enshrine my name in the subject of this

Andreas Leitgeb

Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The odds of getting hit by a car are greater than those of winning the
> lottery, but people still cross the street to buy a ticket.

In my case, I do not need to cross any extra road to buy a lottery
ticket, that I wouldn't still have to cross to get to work.
So, it's actually "work", which puts my life at risk

Anyway, the statistics about road-accidents includes also those,
who do not take care when crossing on red ..., so it's a different
bias.

Btw., was the original spam-vertised program of this thread at least
written in Java?

Roger Lindsjö

Andreas Leitgeb wrote:

> Btw., was the original spam-vertised program of this thread at least
> written in Java?

The file is an exe. the file command gives:
file JOKE2NET.EXE
JOKE2NET.EXE: MS-DOS executable, MZ for MS-DOS

Running strings on it does not hint at any java, so I doubt it.

//Roger Lindsjö

Lew

Roger Lindsjö wrote:
> Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
>
>> Btw., was the original spam-vertised program of this thread at least
>> written in Java?

> The file is an exe. the file command gives:
> file JOKE2NET.EXE
> JOKE2NET.EXE: MS-DOS executable, MZ for MS-DOS
>
> Running strings on it does not hint at any java, so I doubt it.

What does a virus scanner say about it?

With a name like that, with it advertised on the 'net, I wonder if it's
intended as a "Joke 2 Net" denizens, i.e., malware.

--
Lew