Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > My data drive is write protected, how do I fix this

My data drive is write protected, how do I fix this

Random Betrayal

I am running 64 bit home premium and with this last tuesdays update I
suddenly have one of my hard drives telling me it is write protected and I am
locked from doing anything to it. I have searched to no avail for a fix.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Colin Barnhorst

Use System Restore to restore back to before the update. If you still have
the issue, uninstall the updates. If that works, you can reinstall the
updates one by one manually if you wish until you know which one is causing
this.

"Random Betrayal" <Random http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running 64 bit home premium and with this last tuesdays update I
> suddenly have one of my hard drives telling me it is write protected and I
> am
> locked from doing anything to it. I have searched to no avail for a fix.
>

> Any suggestions.
>
> Thanks

Carlos

If he succeeds getting his drive back to the non write-protected state, I
would also physically disconnect the data drive while restoring the updates
and plug it back after the updates are done.
Carlos

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Use System Restore to restore back to before the update. If you still have
> the issue, uninstall the updates. If that works, you can reinstall the
> updates one by one manually if you wish until you know which one is causing
> this.
>
> "Random Betrayal" <Random (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am running 64 bit home premium and with this last tuesdays update I
> > suddenly have one of my hard drives telling me it is write protected and I
> > am
> > locked from doing anything to it. I have searched to no avail for a fix.
> >

> > Any suggestions.
> >
> > Thanks

Random Betrayal

I did a system restore and it did not change anything.

Can I copy everything off the drive into another one then format the write
protected one and bring back all the data? Will this effect the write
protection?
"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Use System Restore to restore back to before the update. If you still have
> the issue, uninstall the updates. If that works, you can reinstall the
> updates one by one manually if you wish until you know which one is causing
> this.
>
> "Random Betrayal" <Random (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am running 64 bit home premium and with this last tuesdays update I
> > suddenly have one of my hard drives telling me it is write protected and I
> > am
> > locked from doing anything to it. I have searched to no avail for a fix.
> >

> > Any suggestions.
> >
> > Thanks

Colin Barnhorst

That might work. Delete and then recreate the partition, do a quick format,
and then copy back your files.

"Random Betrayal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...