Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > two nic cards

two nic cards

chance

i have two nic cards on my motherboard and would like to configure them so
one uploads and one downloads.
the motherboard is a Asus A8N-SLIR so the nic cards are not identical one is
a marvel yukon and the other is a Nvidia nforce
is it possible and if so how
thank you

Charlie Russel - MVP

no, not really. The only way to do it that I can think of is to have
separate WANs and a dual-WAN router. Then the router can be configured based
on which IP address it's coming from/to.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"chance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i have two nic cards on my motherboard and would like to configure them so
> one uploads and one downloads.
> the motherboard is a Asus A8N-SLIR so the nic cards are not identical one
> is
> a marvel yukon and the other is a Nvidia nforce
> is it possible and if so how
> thank you

chance

Not a problem hardware is easy to find but how do I configure XP to send from
one and recieve from the other.
Right now I use them to funnel all internet traffic through this machine to
and from my local network but have built a Linux machine to take over that
task
It would be a waste to just let one set there doing nothing useful

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> no, not really. The only way to do it that I can think of is to have
> separate WANs and a dual-WAN router. Then the router can be configured based
> on which IP address it's coming from/to.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "chance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >i have two nic cards on my motherboard and would like to configure them so
> > one uploads and one downloads.
> > the motherboard is a Asus A8N-SLIR so the nic cards are not identical one
> > is
> > a marvel yukon and the other is a Nvidia nforce
> > is it possible and if so how
> > thank you

Charlie Russel - MVP

You don't set XP to do anything.

You set the router to forward ports to one NIC incoming, and set your other
NIC as the higher priority and the one with a default gateway. It's not
perfect, there might be some overlap, but the router is also doing load
balancing, so you don't really care so long as the load gets balanced.