Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Should Outside Cats Use A Collar

Reply
Thread Tools

Should Outside Cats Use A Collar

 
 
88059355
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2008
Most cat owners find themselves in a quandary over whether or not to
use a cat collar on their outdoor cats. The debate still reigns over
the pros and cons of outfitting an outside cat with a collar, but many
veterinarians and cat experts agree that collars are the best way to
go. However, before you decide, take a look at these pros and cons:

Pros:

? Cat collars can hold identification and registration tags. This is
critical in case your outdoor cat becomes lost or is picked up by a
concerned individual. Also, collars can hold bells or other noise
generating items to scare away potential prey.

? Many cat collars are equipped with reflective material. Whether the
collar is made completely out of reflective material or only contains
a small strip, this will help your cat to become more visible in the
dark. Cats, especially those of dark color, can become invisible at
night, which is a potentially dangerous situation.

Cons:

? Cat collars can easily snag and cause your cat to become hung or
stuck on branches, fences, or anything else in the great outdoors.
Some cats have actually been strangled when their collar has gotten
caught and cut off the animal's air supply.

? Your cat may not be comfortable wearing a collar or the collar may
be too heavy for the animal.

Given these pros and cons, consider choosing a collar that will
maximize the positives and minimize the negatives. For example, there
are many collars on the market that are specially designed to break
away or unclasp when the cat is hung. These collars are considered
strangle-proof and release when approximately seven pounds of pressure
is applied. This way, the cat can break him--or her--self free from any
snare.

Furthermore, there are many different types of collars on the market.
Bring your feline friend with you to the local pet-friendly pet store
and try on several different types of collars until you find one that
best fits. Avoid choosing a harness for outdoor cats unless you plan
on walking the cat on a leash. If this is the case, only allow your
cat to wear a harness while supervised, as most are not snare-proof.

On a whole, collars are encouraged on cats that spend their time
outside and inside. In addition to providing visibility to your
animal, the collar will hold valuable identification information that
will protect your cat and assist you in finding your pet.
http://cncarrental.cn/html/business/20061001/40280.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Barry OGrady
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2008
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 00:14:18 -0800 (PST), 88059355 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Most cat owners find themselves in a quandary over whether or not to
>use a cat collar on their outdoor cats. The debate still reigns over
>the pros and cons of outfitting an outside cat with a collar, but many
>veterinarians and cat experts agree that collars are the best way to
>go. However, before you decide, take a look at these pros and cons:


Are we talking fibre, coax, UTP, or wireless?



>
>Pros:
>
>? Cat collars can hold identification and registration tags. This is
>critical in case your outdoor cat becomes lost or is picked up by a
>concerned individual. Also, collars can hold bells or other noise
>generating items to scare away potential prey.
>
>? Many cat collars are equipped with reflective material. Whether the
>collar is made completely out of reflective material or only contains
>a small strip, this will help your cat to become more visible in the
>dark. Cats, especially those of dark color, can become invisible at
>night, which is a potentially dangerous situation.
>
>Cons:
>
>? Cat collars can easily snag and cause your cat to become hung or
>stuck on branches, fences, or anything else in the great outdoors.
>Some cats have actually been strangled when their collar has gotten
>caught and cut off the animal's air supply.
>
>? Your cat may not be comfortable wearing a collar or the collar may
>be too heavy for the animal.
>
>Given these pros and cons, consider choosing a collar that will
>maximize the positives and minimize the negatives. For example, there
>are many collars on the market that are specially designed to break
>away or unclasp when the cat is hung. These collars are considered
>strangle-proof and release when approximately seven pounds of pressure
>is applied. This way, the cat can break him--or her--self free from any
>snare.
>
>Furthermore, there are many different types of collars on the market.
>Bring your feline friend with you to the local pet-friendly pet store
>and try on several different types of collars until you find one that
>best fits. Avoid choosing a harness for outdoor cats unless you plan
>on walking the cat on a leash. If this is the case, only allow your
>cat to wear a harness while supervised, as most are not snare-proof.
>
>On a whole, collars are encouraged on cats that spend their time
>outside and inside. In addition to providing visibility to your
>animal, the collar will hold valuable identification information that
>will protect your cat and assist you in finding your pet.
>http://cncarrental.cn/html/business/20061001/40280.html


Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
fugettaboutit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2008
Barry OGrady wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 00:14:18 -0800 (PST), 88059355 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Most cat owners find themselves in a quandary over whether or not to
>> use a cat collar on their outdoor cats. The debate still reigns over
>> the pros and cons of outfitting an outside cat with a collar, but many
>> veterinarians and cat experts agree that collars are the best way to
>> go. However, before you decide, take a look at these pros and cons:

>
> Are we talking fibre, coax, UTP, or wireless?


---> Perhaps wireless, vis-a-vis "Invisible Fence"?

>
>
>
>> Pros:
>>
>> ? Cat collars can hold identification and registration tags. This is
>> critical in case your outdoor cat becomes lost or is picked up by a
>> concerned individual. Also, collars can hold bells or other noise
>> generating items to scare away potential prey.


---> Definitely sounds like wireless to me...

>>
>> ? Many cat collars are equipped with reflective material. Whether the
>> collar is made completely out of reflective material or only contains
>> a small strip, this will help your cat to become more visible in the
>> dark. Cats, especially those of dark color, can become invisible at
>> night, which is a potentially dangerous situation.
>>


---> The reflective material will help MIMO-enabled devices take
advantage of the additional RF-multipath

>> Cons:
>>
>> ? Cat collars can easily snag and cause your cat to become hung or
>> stuck on branches, fences, or anything else in the great outdoors.
>> Some cats have actually been strangled when their collar has gotten
>> caught and cut off the animal's air supply.
>>


---> N/A for an 802.1n implementation

>> ? Your cat may not be comfortable wearing a collar or the collar may
>> be too heavy for the animal.
>>


---> Yeah, the MIMO antenna array might be troublesome, too...

>> Given these pros and cons, consider choosing a collar that will
>> maximize the positives and minimize the negatives. For example, there
>> are many collars on the market that are specially designed to break
>> away or unclasp when the cat is hung. These collars are considered
>> strangle-proof and release when approximately seven pounds of pressure
>> is applied. This way, the cat can break him--or her--self free from any
>> snare.
>>


---> In addition, kitty needs appropriate measures to be taken so that
he/she doesn't get their eyes poked out by said MIMO array...

>> Furthermore, there are many different types of collars on the market.
>> Bring your feline friend with you to the local pet-friendly pet store
>> and try on several different types of collars until you find one that
>> best fits. Avoid choosing a harness for outdoor cats unless you plan
>> on walking the cat on a leash. If this is the case, only allow your
>> cat to wear a harness while supervised, as most are not snare-proof.
>>


---> If MIMO proves troublesome, look into prox-cards...

>> On a whole, collars are encouraged on cats that spend their time
>> outside and inside. In addition to providing visibility to your
>> animal, the collar will hold valuable identification information that
>> will protect your cat and assist you in finding your pet.
>> http://cncarrental.cn/html/business/20061001/40280.html

>


---> If proper 802.1X NAC standards are implemented, kitty will be safe
in that only allowed catting-around (roaming) will be allowed...

> Barry
> =====
> Home page
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help with pix inside->outside + dmz->outside + inside->outside->dmz Jack Cisco 0 09-19-2007 01:57 AM
Blue-Collar TV Available on DVD? (Pete Cresswell) DVD Video 1 03-24-2005 04:48 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: BLUE COLLAR COMEDY TOUR RIDES AGAIN and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 12-15-2004 10:10 AM
Stuck Tripod Collar Frank Weston Digital Photography 1 12-31-2003 02:42 AM
Tripod collar for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM? This Old Man Digital Photography 10 10-20-2003 08:25 PM



Advertisments