Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ISO books of official Python docs

ISO books of official Python docs

kj

Is it possible to buy the official Python docs in book form? If
so, I'd very much appreciate the name(s) and author(s) of the
book(s).

TIA!

kynnjo

Doug Morse

Several of the O'Reilly & Assoc. books -- such as Python in a Nutshell, The
Python Standard Library, etc -- are in large part reproductions of the
official docs and references. So, while not exactly what you asked for, the
ORA books might be a viable alternative if what you want isn't available.

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:55:10 +0000 (UTC), kj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it possible to buy the official Python docs in book form? If
> so, I'd very much appreciate the name(s) and author(s) of the
> book(s).
>
> TIA!
>
> kynnjo

Fredrik Lundh

Doug Morse wrote:

> Several of the O'Reilly & Assoc. books -- such as Python in a Nutshell, The
> Python Standard Library, etc -- are in large part reproductions of the
> official docs and references.

if you're using "reproduction" to mean "copy", I think you owe both me
and Alex a big apology.

</F>

Doug Morse

Hi Fredrik,

I'm terribly confused. You want me to apologize for recommending that someone
buy your books? To apologize for noting that they are a quality reference
sources for Python?

Doug

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:59:34 +0100, Fredrik Lundh <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Doug Morse wrote:
>
> > Several of the O'Reilly & Assoc. books -- such as Python in a Nutshell, The
> > Python Standard Library, etc -- are in large part reproductions of the
> > official docs and references.

> if you're using "reproduction" to mean "copy", I think you owe both me
> and Alex a big apology.
>
> </F>

Fredrik Lundh

Doug Morse wrote:

> I'm terribly confused. You want me to apologize for recommending that someone
> buy your books? To apologize for noting that they are a quality reference
> sources for Python?

for implying that the material in them is copied from the python.org
handbooks. at least that's what "reproduce" means in my dictionary.

</F>

Terry Reedy

"Doug Morse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi Fredrik,
|
| I'm terribly confused. You want me to apologize for recommending that
someone
| buy your books? To apologize for noting that they are a quality
reference
| sources for Python?

As a past and future technical writer, I can understand Fredrik's reaction.
Your recommendation seemed somewhat lukewarm to me ("So, while not exactly
what you asked for, the ORA books might be a viable alternative if what you
want isn't available" ) and looking back at the original, I do not see
'quality' anywhere. If someone thinks of the docs as low quality, as some
do, then labelling others' work as a reproduction would imply the same of
the reproduction.

There is a HUGH difference between a 'reproduction' and an intended-to-be
more literate and readable writing that covers the same material. (I have
not seen Fredrik's book, so I cannot comment on how well he succeeded.)

Terry Jan Reedy

| On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:59:34 +0100, Fredrik Lundh
<(E-Mail Removed)>
| wrote:
| > Doug Morse wrote:
| >
| > > Several of the O'Reilly & Assoc. books -- such as Python in a
Nutshell, The
| > > Python Standard Library, etc -- are in large part reproductions of
the
| > > official docs and references.
| >
| > if you're using "reproduction" to mean "copy", I think you owe both me
| > and Alex a big apology.

Mike

On Jan 9, 2:59 pm, Fredrik Lundh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Doug Morse wrote:
> > Several of the O'Reilly & Assoc. books -- such as Python in a Nutshell, The
> > Python Standard Library, etc -- are in large part reproductions of the
> > official docs and references.

> if you're using "reproduction" to mean "copy", I think you owe both me
> and Alex a big apology.
>
> </F>

I am a fan of your effbot blog and I've thought about buying your book
before. Can you tell me how much of it is still valid for Python 2.5
since the book was released in 2001 and written with 2.0 in mind? Are
you planning to update it at some point? It would be nice to have a
complete library reference with a good index at times.

Thank you,

Mike

Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
Since Pentax is the Official Digital of the Internet, Who is the Official Digital of this NG? Ed Smith Digital Photography 2 04-16-2004 09:25 PM

Advertisments