Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Sony's Blu-ray breakthrough

Sony's Blu-ray breakthrough

Derek Janssen

Parkinglot wrote:

>>Warner Home Entertainment President Kevin Tsujihara says the studio took
>>no pay-offs to exclusively back Blu-ray.
>>
>>"This decision was one hundred percent around what makes the most sense
>>for the consumer, the retailer and the industry. This was not a bidding
>>war. This was all about what was best, strategically, for us."
>>
>>http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1327

> Oh it must be true then!
>
> Forget all those insiders spilling the beans on AVS/Home Theatre Forums and
> High Def Digest and a number of other places.

<"plfft!" drink-spray!!>
Oh, sorry--You're not on the Blu forums. You still think AVS and HDD
are neutral.
Please excuse everyone else thinking you were trying to make a punchline.

(When we want to know the loopiest, most desperately ego-salvaging
imaginary HD rumors of the week, we have two forums with which to
entertain ourselves...)

Derek Janssen

Telstar

"Big Daddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WKbhj.3718$(E-Mail Removed) t...

> "boodybandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "TheGame" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Me thinks it was more about the $500 million sony gave WB than the
>>> number of PS3s sold...

>> Link?

> I've heard now 500k, 750k, 800k, and 1.3 Billion(my personal favorite
>
> I've HEARD all these numbers, but I've yet to see any source other than
> some blog (and in most cases like the above, not even that).
>
> At least with the MS buyout rumor (and it could very well be that) the $
> was consistent (500k) and the reports were coming from credible sites, if
> not straight out of the months of spokesmen.

500k? 500,000 dollars. Stupid.

mark johnson

"The alMIGHTY N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 10, 7:31 pm, "mark johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "TheGame" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Me thinks it was more about the $500 million sony gave WB than the
>> number of PS3s sold...
>>
>> Nope, no pay off
>>
>> Warner Home Entertainment President Kevin Tsujihara says the studio took
>> no
>> pay-offs to exclusively back Blu-ray.
>>
>> "This decision was one hundred percent around what makes the most sense
>> for
>> the consumer, the retailer and the industry. This was not a bidding war.
>> This was all about what was best, strategically, for us."
>>
>> http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1327

> You believe everything that the head of a studio says? Let's say for a
> minute that the story is true and Warner Bros. did accept a $500
> million payout to drop HD DVD support. Do you really think the head of
> Warner Bros. would be so quick to admit that to the public after the
> backlash against Paramount for accepting "Shrek licensing money" that
> was only one-fifth of that amount?

lol, yeah ya right there. I think we will never get a true story on how well
a product is doing, while businesses are giving out back handers left, right
and centre.

Derek Janssen

mark johnson wrote:
> "The alMIGHTY N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Jan 10, 7:31 pm, "mark johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>"TheGame" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>Me thinks it was more about the $500 million sony gave WB than the
>>>number of PS3s sold...
>>>
>>>Nope, no pay off
>>>
>>>Warner Home Entertainment President Kevin Tsujihara says the studio took
>>>no
>>>pay-offs to exclusively back Blu-ray.
>>>
>>>"This decision was one hundred percent around what makes the most sense
>>>for
>>>the consumer, the retailer and the industry. This was not a bidding war.
>>>This was all about what was best, strategically, for us."
>>>
>>>http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1327

>>You believe everything that the head of a studio says? Let's say for a
>>minute that the story is true and Warner Bros. did accept a $500
>>million payout to drop HD DVD support. Do you really think the head of
>>Warner Bros. would be so quick to admit that to the public after the
>>backlash against Paramount for accepting "Shrek licensing money" that
>>was only one-fifth of that amount?

By the same token, would a company even WANT to accept that money after
the studio-crushing backlash that Paramount got?
(And which Warner held out on at the time, because they still had to
protect their investment in TotalHD, and had the benefit of sitting back
and watching the long and short-term effect on the studio that *did*
take the thirty-pieces?)

It may have been the Mistake that Ended the War.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Richard C.

"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
>> clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
>> format...."
>>
>> Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/Bluray
>>

> 3 million so far is not millions

=============================
On planet Earth it is.

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:30:32 -0800, "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
>>> clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
>>> format...."
>>>
>>> Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/Bluray
>>>

>> 3 million so far is not millions

>=============================
>On planet Earth it is.

Damn! You actually got something correct.

Winfield

Richard C. wrote:
> "Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
>>> clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
>>> format...."
>>>
>>> Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/Bluray
>>>

>> 3 million so far is not millions

> =============================
> On planet Earth it is.

On his private beach, Richard C. has *millions* of sand particles.

Actually, he has only 3 million. The real estate broker is being sued
(along with Richard) for misrepresenting this beachfront. Serves 'em
right! =)

3 million is NOT "millions" in one sense of the vernacular.

- W

Corbomite Carrie

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:06:29 -0700, Winfield <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Richard C. wrote:
>> "Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> 3 million so far is not millions

>> =============================
>> On planet Earth it is.

>On his private beach, Richard C. has *millions* of sand particles.
>
>Actually, he has only 3 million. The real estate broker is being sued
>(along with Richard) for misrepresenting this beachfront. Serves 'em
>right! =)
>
>3 million is NOT "millions" in one sense of the vernacular.
>
> - W

Idiot. A million is a million. Two million is a couple million.
Three million is a few million. More than three million is several
million. ALL whole million amounts over 1 million qualifies as
"millions".

Winfield

Corbomite Carrie wrote:

> Idiot. A million is a million. Two million is a couple million.
> Three million is a few million. More than three million is several
> million. ALL whole million amounts over 1 million qualifies as
> "millions".

Check this out, numb nuts. Sony has sold hundreds of thousands of
PS3's, or Sony has sold several million PS3s.

Sony has not sold "millions" of PS3's.

That's what works for me for an honest appraisal of Sony's success.

winf

Paul Murray

On 2008-01-21, Winfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Corbomite Carrie wrote:
>> Idiot. A million is a million. Two million is a couple million.
>> Three million is a few million. More than three million is several
>> million. ALL whole million amounts over 1 million qualifies as
>> "millions".

> Check this out, numb nuts. Sony has sold hundreds of thousands of
> PS3's, or Sony has sold several million PS3s.
>
> Sony has not sold "millions" of PS3's.
>
> That's what works for me for an honest appraisal of Sony's success.

I'm not sure what language you are speaking, but it isn't English.
If they have sold more than 2 million, they have sold millions.
Millions is the plural of million.