Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Cheap WIFI/SIP Handset?

Reply
Thread Tools

Cheap WIFI/SIP Handset?

 
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008


>>
>> Firstly..
>> Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
>> Second, Buy an ATA.

>
> They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT phones
> when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone through numerous
> base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not possible to connect a
> Siemen's handset through their existing BT Diverse base station because it
> needs to plug into an ethernet port on the router?
>
> If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
> Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
> have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
> detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
> expensive replacing them all.
>
> Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great on
> my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
> suppose.
> --
> Walker Moore
> (-_-),,|,


So they already have a DECT base with 5 handsets registered to it?
Just leave that as it is, and put an ATA between the DECT base line-
cord and the router. The ATA *is* the phone to Ethernet converter
(as it were)

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Walker Moore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
Graham. wrote:
>>> Firstly..
>>> Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
>>> Second, Buy an ATA.

>> They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT phones
>> when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone through numerous
>> base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not possible to connect a
>> Siemen's handset through their existing BT Diverse base station because it
>> needs to plug into an ethernet port on the router?
>>
>> If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
>> Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
>> have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
>> detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
>> expensive replacing them all.
>>
>> Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great on
>> my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
>> suppose.
>> --
>> Walker Moore
>> (-_-),,|,

>
> So they already have a DECT base with 5 handsets registered to it?
> Just leave that as it is, and put an ATA between the DECT base line-
> cord and the router. The ATA *is* the phone to Ethernet converter
> (as it were)


Right. Thanks for clarifying that. I clearly got confused somewhere
between those two posts I accidentally responded to as though they came
from the same person. =D

When you use an ATA, how do you switch between the regular line and
VOIP? Is it straightforward?
--
Walker Moore
(-_-),,|,
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
TheFug
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
Walker Moore schreef:
> mr deo wrote:
>> "Walker Moore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
>>>
>>> Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
>>> I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
>>> calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
>>> anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
>>> hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
>>> relying on a PC.
>>> --
>>> Walker Moore
>>> (-_-),,|,

>>
>> Firstly..
>> Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
>> Second, Buy an ATA.

>
> They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT
> phones when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone through
> numerous base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not possible to
> connect a Siemen's handset through their existing BT Diverse base
> station because it needs to plug into an ethernet port on the router?
>
> If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
> Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
> have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
> detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
> expensive replacing them all.
>
> Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great
> on my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
> suppose.


@ OP:
The advantage of a ATA, is, that you manage the dialrules from there,
and you can make it so nobody will notice it, and you don't have to give
"instructions"..

--

The Fug.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
Walker Moore explained :

>
> When you use an ATA, how do you switch between the regular line and VOIP? Is
> it straightforward?


Yes.

I have mine (SPA3102) set up to automatically select the regular line
for freephone calls and other 08 numbers.

It is also possible to possible to set it up such that a given prefix,
say *, selects the appropriate line.

The cheaper ATAs have a switch on the top to dial using the regular
line.


 
Reply With Quote
 
TheFug
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
Walker Moore schreef:
> Graham. wrote:
>>>> Firstly..
>>>> Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
>>>> Second, Buy an ATA.
>>> They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT
>>> phones when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone
>>> through numerous base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not
>>> possible to connect a Siemen's handset through their existing BT
>>> Diverse base station because it needs to plug into an ethernet port
>>> on the router?
>>>
>>> If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
>>> Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base?
>>> They have five handsets (all very much required due to large house,
>>> and a detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could
>>> be expensive replacing them all.
>>>
>>> Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just
>>> great on my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running
>>> SymbianOS I suppose.
>>> --
>>> Walker Moore
>>> (-_-),,|,

>>
>> So they already have a DECT base with 5 handsets registered to it?
>> Just leave that as it is, and put an ATA between the DECT base line-
>> cord and the router. The ATA *is* the phone to Ethernet converter
>> (as it were)

>
> Right. Thanks for clarifying that. I clearly got confused somewhere
> between those two posts I accidentally responded to as though they came
> from the same person. =D
>
> When you use an ATA, how do you switch between the regular line and
> VOIP? Is it straightforward?

You can set this in the dialplan, you let tru this dialplan, detect,
which number is dialed, and according to this it will use which provider
you have set for this, or which line... you can use also a service like
www.mysipswitch.com then you only need to buy a simple (SPA3102) to
manage all your VoIP providers, and you can also connect your landline
to it.

--

The Fug.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Walker Moore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
>
>Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
>I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
>calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
>anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
>hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
>relying on a PC.


Like others have suggested, I'd stay away from Wi-Fi phones and go down
the DECT route ... However ... If you want a relatively cheap Wi-Fi
phone, then have a look at:

http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=36

I have one of these I bought a while back to play with.. It works ...
Most of the time ... It didn't pass the "Wife Test" though. It
occasionally loses registration for no good reason and needs rebooting.
Sometimes it takes a few times to register and work. Audio quality is
reasonable, but not stellar. (for a phone)

And you've then got the crappyness of Wi-Fi to put up with, which really
wasn't designed for the full-duplexy nature of VoIP calls. (Wi-Fi is
half duplex)

Good luck...

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
Walker Moore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Walker Moore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
>>
>> Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
>> I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
>> calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
>> anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
>> hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
>> relying on a PC.

>
> Like others have suggested, I'd stay away from Wi-Fi phones and go down
> the DECT route ... However ... If you want a relatively cheap Wi-Fi
> phone, then have a look at:
>
> http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=36
>
> I have one of these I bought a while back to play with.. It works ...
> Most of the time ... It didn't pass the "Wife Test" though. It
> occasionally loses registration for no good reason and needs rebooting.
> Sometimes it takes a few times to register and work. Audio quality is
> reasonable, but not stellar. (for a phone)
>
> And you've then got the crappyness of Wi-Fi to put up with, which really
> wasn't designed for the full-duplexy nature of VoIP calls. (Wi-Fi is
> half duplex)


They got the same router as me. Netgear DG834N. They're Draft-N
wireless, which is about six times faster than traditional Wireless G,
and 1.5 - 3 times faster than a wired ethernet connection. They also
utilise MIMO (simultaneous tx and rx) so effectively comparable to
full-duplex. It's the first wireless ADSL2+ router I've personally had
that's suitable for gaming because latency is as low as a wired
connection (10ms-12ms through my ISP bethere.co.uk).

Maybe that's why I have such good results with my Nokia N95 with regards
VOIP telephony. Maybe it would be a different story if I had a Wireless
G router.

Thanks again for the response. Having read all the expert responses
here, it looks like an ATA is going to be the better solution. Time to
find a good one....
--
Walker Moore
(-_-),,|,
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
Walker Moore presented the following explanation :

>
> Thanks again for the response. Having read all the expert responses here, it
> looks like an ATA is going to be the better solution. Time to find a good
> one....


Depending on how sophisticated you want, look at AVM's Fritz!box or
Linksys' SPA3102. Both of which can integrate the PSTN line. Many like
the Grandstream.

The other suggestion you may have overlooked is the Siemens C460IP


 
Reply With Quote
 
Herman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
"Walker Moore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Walker Moore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
>>>
>>> Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
>>> I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
>>> calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
>>> anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
>>> hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
>>> relying on a PC.

>>
>> Like others have suggested, I'd stay away from Wi-Fi phones and go down
>> the DECT route ... However ... If you want a relatively cheap Wi-Fi
>> phone, then have a look at:
>>
>> http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=36
>>
>> I have one of these I bought a while back to play with.. It works ...
>> Most of the time ... It didn't pass the "Wife Test" though. It
>> occasionally loses registration for no good reason and needs rebooting.
>> Sometimes it takes a few times to register and work. Audio quality is
>> reasonable, but not stellar. (for a phone)
>>
>> And you've then got the crappyness of Wi-Fi to put up with, which really
>> wasn't designed for the full-duplexy nature of VoIP calls. (Wi-Fi is
>> half duplex)

>
> They got the same router as me. Netgear DG834N. They're Draft-N
> wireless, which is about six times faster than traditional Wireless G, and
> 1.5 - 3 times faster than a wired ethernet connection. They also utilise
> MIMO (simultaneous tx and rx) so effectively comparable to full-duplex.
> It's the first wireless ADSL2+ router I've personally had that's suitable
> for gaming because latency is as low as a wired connection (10ms-12ms
> through my ISP bethere.co.uk).
>
> Maybe that's why I have such good results with my Nokia N95 with regards
> VOIP telephony. Maybe it would be a different story if I had a Wireless G
> router.
>
> Thanks again for the response. Having read all the expert responses here,
> it looks like an ATA is going to be the better solution. Time to find a
> good one....
> --
> Walker Moore
> (-_-),,|,


I can also recommend the FritzBox. I find it to be low maintenance once you
have got the set up right. I think it is a lot easier to set up than an SPA
3102 as well.
I particularly like the fact that it tries tr re-register if registration
fails for whatever reason. With my Linksys ATA, I often had to re-boot when
it lost registration.

Just my opinion though.


 
Reply With Quote
 
alexd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:40:32 +0000, Walker Moore wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:


>> And you've then got the crappyness of Wi-Fi to put up with, which
>> really wasn't designed for the full-duplexy nature of VoIP calls.
>> (Wi-Fi is half duplex)

>
> They got the same router as me. Netgear DG834N. They're Draft-N
> wireless, which is about six times faster than traditional Wireless G,
> and 1.5 - 3 times faster than a wired ethernet connection. They also
> utilise MIMO (simultaneous tx and rx) so effectively comparable to
> full-duplex. It's the first wireless ADSL2+ router I've personally had
> that's suitable for gaming because latency is as low as a wired
> connection (10ms-12ms through my ISP bethere.co.uk).
>
> Maybe that's why I have such good results with my Nokia N95 with regards
> VOIP telephony. Maybe it would be a different story if I had a Wireless
> G router.


Is the N95 pre-N? Or does the pre-N router make the Nokia perform better
than G?

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
20:09:46 up 4 days, 10:34, 2 users, load average: 1.46, 1.52, 1.52
2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheap lights, cheap setup.. systmster Digital Photography 8 03-14-2006 07:38 PM
Cheap gear for my mods RObErT_RaTh Case Modding 21 09-23-2005 03:47 AM
Amazon sells exam vouchers cheap Helper Microsoft Certification 2 07-11-2004 08:41 PM
Cheap CPU, RAM. PIV2.8E only US$200!!! Sales Microsoft Certification 0 03-07-2004 03:35 AM
Re: LEARNKEY MCSE 2K CD SET 4 Sale (CHEAP!!!!) xyz2869 Microsoft Certification 0 12-08-2003 05:00 PM



Advertisments