Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Template engine

Template engine

cyber1boy

Hi,

I use Spring MVC framework and I need some opensource template engine for
view component.
Wich template engine do you use ?

I know for three tempalte engines: Velocity, Tapestry and FreeMaker.

Thanks.

cyber1boy

Daniel Pitts

On Jan 9, 4:02 am, "cyber1boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Spring MVC framework and I need some opensource template engine for
> view component.
> Wich template engine do you use ?
>
> I know for three tempalte engines: Velocity, Tapestry and FreeMaker.
>
> Thanks.
>
> cyber1boy

You could also deploy to an webapp container and use JSP.

cyber1boy

I know that, but I would like to hear your opinions about various template
engines.

Thanks,
cyber1boy

"Daniel Pitts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 9, 4:02 am, "cyber1boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use Spring MVC framework and I need some opensource template engine for
>> view component.
>> Wich template engine do you use ?
>>
>> I know for three tempalte engines: Velocity, Tapestry and FreeMaker.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> cyber1boy

> You could also deploy to an webapp container and use JSP.

Robert Klemme

On 10.01.2008 09:32, cyber1boy wrote:
> I know that, but I would like to hear your opinions about various template
> engines.

This article is a quite informative comparison between freemarker and
velocity

http://freemarker.blogspot.com/2007/...king-at-5.html

I can't judge the neutrality of the comparison but I found it still
worth the read. I'm sure your favourite search engine will turn up more.

Kind regards

robert

Roedy Green

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 13:02:45 +0100, "cyber1boy" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>I use Spring MVC framework and I need some opensource template engine for
>view component.
>Wich template engine do you use ?

The one I used most was Freemarker. It seems to have caught on. A
brilliant but impossibly egotistical guy I used to work with did much
of the design. I quit the job because I found him too stressful to
work with. Freemarker is somewhat more straightforward that usual.

For a whacking huge list of them see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/framework.html

What is with people that the always was to reinvent the wheel rather
than produce the first of breed of thousand of apps that go begging.
Similarly programmers love to create yet another SQL engine. Perhaps
it is just the lack of skill in designing programs rather than coding
to a spec or doing a minor theme and variations on some other program.
--
Roedy Green, Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary, http://mindprod.com

Robert Klemme

On 15.01.2008 12:08, Roedy Green wrote:
> What is with people that the always was to reinvent the wheel rather
> than produce the first of breed of thousand of apps that go begging.
> Similarly programmers love to create yet another SQL engine. Perhaps
> it is just the lack of skill in designing programs rather than coding
> to a spec or doing a minor theme and variations on some other program.

There might be some truth in your statement: it's significantly easier
to develop towards a spec than to come up with the next big thing(TM).
At least that's my impression.

Kind regards

robert