Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIPCheap incoming dial tone.

VOIPCheap incoming dial tone.

Graham.

>> Check out this document
>> <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf>
>>

> Yes I have studied this document. But I'm uncertain what this tone is
> called (as you can see form the subject line ;o). Presumably "Ringing
> tone"?. I can't find any match in the 3102 settings.

Well, the last time I commented on this vis. what calling party hears when
the called party phone is ringing, Jock Mackirdy disagreed and the
redoubtable Brian {Hamilton Kelly}called me an ill-educated ****wit.
The answer is Ring back as on the first page.
(Most people just call it ringing tone)
*Not to be confused with BT Ring Back* (see the second page)
BT Ring Back is the ringing cadence of 3 short rings followed by
a long pause used to indicate an engaged line is now free after
pressing 5 during the engaged tone.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Graham. wrote:
>>> Check out this document
>>> <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf>
>>>

>> Yes I have studied this document. But I'm uncertain what this tone is
>> called (as you can see form the subject line ;o). Presumably "Ringing
>> tone"?. I can't find any match in the 3102 settings.

> Well, the last time I commented on this vis. what calling party hears
> when the called party phone is ringing, Jock Mackirdy disagreed and
> the redoubtable Brian {Hamilton Kelly}called me an ill-educated
> ****wit. The answer is Ring back as on the first page.
> (Most people just call it ringing tone)
> *Not to be confused with BT Ring Back* (see the second page)
> BT Ring Back is the ringing cadence of 3 short rings followed by
> a long pause used to indicate an engaged line is now free after
> pressing 5 during the engaged tone.

On my PAP2 I have the correct UK Ring Back tone, however this has no affect
on what people calling my number hears, what I've read it is meant to affect
is what I hear when I call another VoIP user and my device has to then
generate the ring-back tone.

--
Worried about debt?
http://www.cccs.co.uk

Graham.

> On my PAP2 I have the correct UK Ring Back tone, however this has no
> affect on what people calling my number hears, what I've read it is meant
> to affect is what I hear when I call another VoIP user and my device has
> to then generate the ring-back tone.

This is my experience too, and it's the same with the softphone.
However, when I had the account registered on my Asterisk
box it would ring once with a 'continental' tone then change
to a UK one. I confess I didn't really investigate why this
was happening, anyone else seen that?

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Linus Surguy

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On my PAP2 I have the correct UK Ring Back tone, however this has no
>> affect on what people calling my number hears, what I've read it is meant
>> to affect is what I hear when I call another VoIP user and my device has
>> to then generate the ring-back tone.

>This is my experience too, and it's the same with the softphone.
>However, when I had the account registered on my Asterisk
>box it would ring once with a 'continental' tone then change
>to a UK one. I confess I didn't really investigate why this
>was happening, anyone else seen that?

Probably because in your /etc/asterisk/indications.conf the defaultzone was not
set to uk.

If you had Ring() in your extensions.conf and/or a device sent back a 180
ringing message first, then Asterisk would generate dialtone. When Asterisk
passed it to the phone, that might then have generated a 183 Session Progress
with the correct tone encoded in the media path. Or any other variations on the
same theme.

Linus

Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!

Nick

Jono wrote:
> Nick formulated the question :
>> Yes I have being playing with gateways. I can get VoipCheap working as
>> a gateway but can't get the Caller Id spoofing working when in this
>> mode.

> Courtesy of Mike Sun:
>
> Instead of entering just e.g. sip.voipcheap.com enter
> [phone-number]@sip.voipcheap.com where [phone-number] is one of your
> registered numbers with the provider. Thus one is effectively entering
> both "User ID" and "Auth ID" in the Gateway setup.
>
> (presumably you leave the [] brackets off)
>
> You may also have to play around with the number - try 01xxxxxxxxx
> format and 00441xxxxxxxxx etc.

Cool, worked first time for 00442xxxxxxxx.

Thanks to you and Mike.

reliable

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:46:17 +0000, Nick wrote:

>Jono wrote:
>> Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :

>>> I would be happy to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is
>>> Vonage reliable?

>> Damned expensive.
>>

>If it is reliable, 7.99 a month would be ok for unlimited calls, call
>divert, voicemail to email etc...

I believe the "damned expensive" is either a gross overstatement or
based on lack of understanding of what's on offer. I have used it for
a couple of years and find it extremely reliable and by far the best
VoIP service I have used. 7.99 / month for me is a bargain when it
allows me to call 13 counties - unlimited calls to landlines. I can
only assume that Jono either:
- hasn't used it
- has no need to call the countries which are bundled
- isn't aware of (or has no need of) the many features included in the
standard package.

I've used several other VoIP services and prefer Vonage for a
hassle-free excellent service.

Jono

reliable expressed precisely :
> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:46:17 +0000, Nick wrote:
>
>> Jono wrote:

>>> Damned expensive.
>>>

>> If it is reliable, 7.99 a month would be ok for unlimited calls, call
>> divert, voicemail to email etc...

> I believe the "damned expensive" is either a gross overstatement or
> based on lack of understanding of what's on offer. I have used it for
> a couple of years and find it extremely reliable and by far the best
> VoIP service I have used. 7.99 / month for me is a bargain when it
> allows me to call 13 counties - unlimited calls to landlines. I can
> only assume that Jono either:
> - hasn't used it

True.

> - has no need to call the countries which are bundled

Probably true.

> - isn't aware of (or has no need of) the many features included in the
> standard package.

Not true.

Also, you could have made another assumption - than 8 quid a month is
much more than I pay in calls & rental charges to a not insignificant
number of other providers, combinations of which (currently) provide me
with more flexibility, for a lower cost than Vonage's package would
provide.

I do take your point though, and admit to being a little flippant when
I said it

> I've used several other VoIP services and prefer Vonage for a
> hassle-free excellent service.

That does have a value, of course.