Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Firefox Fixed Width TD problem

Firefox Fixed Width TD problem

Fransis il Mulo

I have a table with 60 columns. Each column must have a 30px width.
IE show the table right. Firefox tries to show the entire table in the
window so it reduces cell width up to text width.

I've already tried width CSS style="table-layout:fixed" and <col> tags
or with CSS style="white-space:nowrap;width:30px". Firefox behavior
hasn't change.

Any Idea?

Fransis

dorayme

In article <478475a0$0$37203$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fransis il Mulo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a table with 60 columns. Each column must have a 30px width.
> IE show the table right. Firefox tries to show the entire table in the
> window so it reduces cell width up to text width.

Show us the whole page and your best shot. But really, what have
you got in the cells, or is that too personal a question? I do
hope it is something that cannot be bigger than 30px wide. That
rules out text because text can always be enlarged. if it is
pictures, then you likely don't need a table.

This something you want, I have lost count but there are about 60
cells and it looks ok in Safari and FF:

<url: http://netweaver.com.au/alt/fransis.html />

--
dorayme

Fransis il Mulo

dorayme ha scritto:
> In article <478475a0$0$37203$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Fransis il Mulo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a table with 60 columns. Each column must have a 30px width.
>> IE show the table right. Firefox tries to show the entire table in the
>> window so it reduces cell width up to text width.
>>

> Show us the whole page and your best shot. But really, what have
> you got in the cells, or is that too personal a question? I do
> hope it is something that cannot be bigger than 30px wide. That
> rules out text because text can always be enlarged. if it is
> pictures, then you likely don't need a table.
>
> This something you want, I have lost count but there are about 60
> cells and it looks ok in Safari and FF:
>
> <url: http://netweaver.com.au/alt/fransis.html />

Thanks a lot. I solved the problem using a row with cells containing a
white image (30x1).

Thanks

dorayme

In article <4784958b$0$36447$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fransis il Mulo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme ha scritto:
> > In article <478475a0$0$37203$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Fransis il Mulo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> I have a table with 60 columns. Each column must have a 30px width.
> >> IE show the table right. Firefox tries to show the entire table in the
> >> window so it reduces cell width up to text width.
> >>

> > Show us the whole page and your best shot. But really, what have
> > you got in the cells, or is that too personal a question? I do
> > hope it is something that cannot be bigger than 30px wide. That
> > rules out text because text can always be enlarged. if it is
> > pictures, then you likely don't need a table.
> >
> > This something you want, I have lost count but there are about 60
> > cells and it looks ok in Safari and FF:
> >
> > <url: http://netweaver.com.au/alt/fransis.html />
> >

> Thanks a lot. I solved the problem using a row with cells containing a
> white image (30x1).

I am still in the dark as to what your problem really was? I was
just saying that you *can* make such a table with images. You are
spacing columns in one row (you can use a transparent gif btw and
merely 1px by 1px but specify it as 30px wide in the CSS - see
the source in the url above) and going on to do other things in
the rows below. But what are you going to put in the rows below
that will not break the 30px width?

If you use such images to create a maximum width for each col and
it is generous, you can acieve your aim successfully perhaps, but
the same might not apply if you are trying for an absolute with
your technique.

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:36:11 GMT
Fransis il Mulo scribed:

> dorayme ha no scrotum:
>> In article <478475a0$0$37203$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Fransis il Mulo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a table with 60 columns. Each column must have a 30px width.
>>> IE show the table right. Firefox tries to show the entire table in the
>>> window so it reduces cell width up to text width.
>>>

>> Show us the whole page and your best shot. But really, what have
>> you got in the cells, or is that too personal a question? I do
>> hope it is something that cannot be bigger than 30px wide. That
>> rules out text because text can always be enlarged. if it is
>> pictures, then you likely don't need a table.
>>
>> This something you want, I have lost count but there are about 60
>> cells and it looks ok in Safari and FF:
>>
>> <url: http://netweaver.com.au/alt/fransis.html />
>>

> Thanks a lot. I solved the problem using a row with cells containing a
> white image (30x1).

You can also "solve the problem" by putting a div widthed at 30px in each
cell (one row).

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.

Bergamot

Fransis il Mulo wrote:
> I have a table with 60 columns. Each column must have a 30px width.

Ya gotta wonder why, though. You may very well be fixing the wrong problem.

--
Berg