Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP 64bit on Dell Inspiron 530

XP 64bit on Dell Inspiron 530

Yousaf

Hi all

Just bought a new Dell Inspiron 530 which came with a 32 bit Vista
Basic. I want to remove this and clean install Win XP 64 as my main
home desktop. Due to fact I work from home, it is imperative that Win
XP 64 works like a production system.

So far, I have read negative reviews about XP 64 bit. Mostly people
mention driver issues. I just wanted to know if that is still the
case. Is there anyone out there who has a similar system and has been
using XP 64 bit? If so please reply to this post and let me know how
you got on.

There are a couple of proprietary GIS programs that I want to run on
this desktop. People running these programs on their 64bit XP systems
have not encountered any problems.

Thanks
Yousaf

ps. My system specs are as following:

1 Inspiron 530 E2140 Pentium Dual Core Processor 1.60GHz 800Mhz FSB,
1MB cache 210-18097
1 Memory Dual Channel 1024MB (2x512) 667MHz DDR2 370-12929
1 No Floppy / MCR 385-10498
1 Hard Drive 320GB Serial ATA non Raid (7200 Rpm) 400-13488
1 DVD+/-RW (ReadWrite) 16X 429-12619
1 Video Card 128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 490-10738
1 Audio Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability 510-10195

Charlie Russel - MVP

You don't specify the particulars of exactly what's on your Dell, but just
doing a generic search of Dell Inspiron Desktop 530 drivers for XP x64
yields 22 hits.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...False&~ck=anav

So off the top of my head, I'd say you should be fine. Now you need to
actually ensure that you've got drivers for the specific hardware in your
particular Dell - we can't do that for you, since we don't know your exact
build. USE the Dell support site. Plug in your service tag, and go from
there. Also make sure that any existing peripherals you use have drivers.

Many of us here have run XP x64 "in production" for over 3 years. I can't
say it was without pain, but it certainly was more than doable. The only
reason I'm no longer running XP x64 is that I've moved on to Vista 64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Yousaf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> Just bought a new Dell Inspiron 530 which came with a 32 bit Vista
> Basic. I want to remove this and clean install Win XP 64 as my main
> home desktop. Due to fact I work from home, it is imperative that Win
> XP 64 works like a production system.
>
> So far, I have read negative reviews about XP 64 bit. Mostly people
> mention driver issues. I just wanted to know if that is still the
> case. Is there anyone out there who has a similar system and has been
> using XP 64 bit? If so please reply to this post and let me know how
> you got on.
>
> There are a couple of proprietary GIS programs that I want to run on
> this desktop. People running these programs on their 64bit XP systems
> have not encountered any problems.
>
> Thanks
> Yousaf
>
> ps. My system specs are as following:
>

> 1 Inspiron 530 E2140 Pentium Dual Core Processor 1.60GHz 800Mhz FSB,
> 1MB cache 210-18097
> 1 Memory Dual Channel 1024MB (2x512) 667MHz DDR2 370-12929
> 1 No Floppy / MCR 385-10498
> 1 Hard Drive 320GB Serial ATA non Raid (7200 Rpm) 400-13488
> 1 DVD+/-RW (ReadWrite) 16X 429-12619
> 1 Video Card 128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 490-10738
> 1 Audio Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability 510-10195

Yousaf

> Many of us here have run XP x64 "in production" for over 3 years. I can't
> say it was without pain, but it certainly was more than doable. The only
> reason I'm no longer running XP x64 is that I've moved on to Vista 64.

Is Vista less troublesome? I'll be asking Dell about the drivers for
both XP 64 and Vista.

Thanks for replying.
Yousaf

Theo

If you would go to the Dell web site you would discover that
currently Dell does not support either Windows XP x64 nor
Vist x64. You will NOT find any x64 drivers listed on their
Support web site at:
http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid=

Or, you can start at:
http://support.dell.com/support/down...=us&l=en&s=gen

and select the Inspiron 530 desktop computer.

Yousaf wrote:
>> Many of us here have run XP x64 "in production" for over 3 years. I can't
>> say it was without pain, but it certainly was more than doable. The only
>> reason I'm no longer running XP x64 is that I've moved on to Vista 64.

> Is Vista less troublesome? I'll be asking Dell about the drivers for
> both XP 64 and Vista.
>
> Thanks for replying.
> Yousaf

Colin Barnhorst

As far as XP Pro x64 goes, it is not a consumer edition anyway.

"Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you would go to the Dell web site you would discover that currently
> Dell does not support either Windows XP x64 nor Vist x64. You will NOT
> find any x64 drivers listed on their Support web site at:
> http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid=
>
> Or, you can start at:
> http://support.dell.com/support/down...=us&l=en&s=gen
>
> and select the Inspiron 530 desktop computer.
>

> Yousaf wrote:
>>> Many of us here have run XP x64 "in production" for over 3 years. I
>>> can't
>>> say it was without pain, but it certainly was more than doable. The only
>>> reason I'm no longer running XP x64 is that I've moved on to Vista 64.

>> Is Vista less troublesome? I'll be asking Dell about the drivers for
>> both XP 64 and Vista.
>>
>> Thanks for replying.
>> Yousaf

Charlie Russel - MVP

Interesting, since I found several drivers under XP x64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you would go to the Dell web site you would discover that currently
> Dell does not support either Windows XP x64 nor Vist x64. You will NOT
> find any x64 drivers listed on their Support web site at:
> http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid=
>
> Or, you can start at:
> http://support.dell.com/support/down...=us&l=en&s=gen
>
> and select the Inspiron 530 desktop computer.
>

> Yousaf wrote:
>>> Many of us here have run XP x64 "in production" for over 3 years. I
>>> can't
>>> say it was without pain, but it certainly was more than doable. The only
>>> reason I'm no longer running XP x64 is that I've moved on to Vista 64.

>> Is Vista less troublesome? I'll be asking Dell about the drivers for
>> both XP 64 and Vista.
>>
>> Thanks for replying.
>> Yousaf

Charlie Russel - MVP

Vista is different. You'll have a learning curve, certainly. But is it less
troublesome? Many would say so, I think, though I doubt that the opinions
would be universal. It's certainly true that the hardware requirements for
Vista are much higher than for XP. But once you meet those requirements, I
think it's a good choice. Certainly on the drivers for 64bit, I expect it to
be better supported than XP x64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Yousaf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Many of us here have run XP x64 "in production" for over 3 years. I can't
>> say it was without pain, but it certainly was more than doable. The only
>> reason I'm no longer running XP x64 is that I've moved on to Vista 64.

> Is Vista less troublesome? I'll be asking Dell about the drivers for
> both XP 64 and Vista.
>
> Thanks for replying.
> Yousaf

Theo

I agree with you. However, Dell does offer XP x64 on some
of their computers. The important point though is they do
not offer any x64 drivers/support for either x64 on the
Inspiron 530.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> As far as XP Pro x64 goes, it is not a consumer edition anyway.
>
> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you would go to the Dell web site you would discover that currently
>> Dell does not support either Windows XP x64 nor Vist x64. You will
>> NOT find any x64 drivers listed on their Support web site at:
>> http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid=
>>

>> Or, you can start at:
>> http://support.dell.com/support/down...=us&l=en&s=gen
>>
>> and select the Inspiron 530 desktop computer.

>>> Is Vista less troublesome? I'll be asking Dell about the drivers for
>>> both XP 64 and Vista.
>>>
>>> Thanks for replying.
>>> Yousaf

Theo

Not sure what to think. I don't get any for x64 when I look
it up.

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Interesting, since I found several drivers under XP x64.

Charlie Russel - MVP

see my original link. Some are just BIOS, but there's a conexant driver, and
a creative one, that I noticed.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64