Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > http to https switching

Reply
Thread Tools

http to https switching

 
 
LVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2008
Hello,

What are the ways to switch from http to https.

Is there a way internal to IIS 6.0 or x.xx? Some configuration?
Is there a way via DNS?

I have seen Scripts in VB and JavaScript

What are my choices when the website has multiple entry points.

We are running IIS 6.0 on Win2K3 using CRM

Thank you,

LVP



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
George Ter-Saakov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2008
A bit confused by your question.
https implies that browser had send server information encrypted.

So you can not do "internal" switching. You can always check
Request.IsSecureConnection and redirect to secured version with https if
you need to

George.


"LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> What are the ways to switch from http to https.
>
> Is there a way internal to IIS 6.0 or x.xx? Some configuration?
> Is there a way via DNS?
>
> I have seen Scripts in VB and JavaScript
>
> What are my choices when the website has multiple entry points.
>
> We are running IIS 6.0 on Win2K3 using CRM
>
> Thank you,
>
> LVP
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
LVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2008
George,

Sorry for the confusion.

when a user types: http:\\www.mysecurewebsite.com I want them to be
directed to https://www.mysecurewebsite.com
I have done this on two of my websites.
when a website has multiple entries and I have no control of the website
code at all I need to redirect the user to the https in the easiest way
possible

Is there a way internal to IIS 6.0 or x.xx? Some configuration?
Is there a way via DNS?

I have seen Scripts in VB and JavaScript

What are my choices when the website has multiple entry points.

We are running IIS 6.0 on Win2K3 using CRM

Any more questions please let me know

Thank You,

LVP


"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4Ws%(E-Mail Removed)...
>A bit confused by your question.
> https implies that browser had send server information encrypted.
>
> So you can not do "internal" switching. You can always check
> Request.IsSecureConnection and redirect to secured version with https if
> you need to
>
> George.
>
>
> "LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> What are the ways to switch from http to https.
>>
>> Is there a way internal to IIS 6.0 or x.xx? Some configuration?
>> Is there a way via DNS?
>>
>> I have seen Scripts in VB and JavaScript
>>
>> What are my choices when the website has multiple entry points.
>>
>> We are running IIS 6.0 on Win2K3 using CRM
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> LVP
>>
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Rae [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2008
"LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What are the ways to switch from http to https.


This is all you need:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/web-se...curity_v2.aspx


--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP
http://www.markrae.net

 
Reply With Quote
 
LVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2008
Thanks Mark,

I read the article and there are some issues noted in the discussion.
I wonder if there is a concrete solution with less configuration.

The big cheese/wig wants it done in less than 48 hours on production without
testing or leaving very little time for testing.
How to convince the monster not the monkey around I don't know.

Thanks

LVP


"Mark Rae [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> What are the ways to switch from http to https.

>
> This is all you need:
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/web-se...curity_v2.aspx
>
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net



 
Reply With Quote
 
Naraendirakumar R.R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
LVP:
If you are looking for a quick hack ... This is a decent one
http://blog.kyanmedia.com/archives/2...tps_in_iis_60/

An alternative, does your company use a network load balancer or firewall in
front of your web servers? If so, you might be able to solve it there.
Most NLB/firewalls have a built in feature to push http traffic to use
https.

Hope this helps.

-Naraen
http://naraen.spaces.live.com


"LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Mark,
>
> I read the article and there are some issues noted in the discussion.
> I wonder if there is a concrete solution with less configuration.
>
> The big cheese/wig wants it done in less than 48 hours on production
> without testing or leaving very little time for testing.
> How to convince the monster not the monkey around I don't know.
>
> Thanks
>
> LVP
>
>
> "Mark Rae [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> What are the ways to switch from http to https.

>>
>> This is all you need:
>> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/web-se...curity_v2.aspx
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mark Rae
>> ASP.NET MVP
>> http://www.markrae.net

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Rae [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
"LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I wonder if there is a concrete solution with less configuration.


I'm not sure how much less configuration you could want...

You simply add the DLL to your project and then make a few modifications to
web.config...

> The big cheese/wig wants it done in less than 48 hours


It should take no longer than five minutes...


--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP
http://www.markrae.net

 
Reply With Quote
 
LVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
thank you for you input,

You miss understood me.
I think it is irresponsible to change something in 5 minutes then deploy it
on production without any thorough testing.

I don't have full trust of the solution yet. it might be the perfect one.

Thanks again

LVP



"Mark Rae [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I wonder if there is a concrete solution with less configuration.

>
> I'm not sure how much less configuration you could want...
>
> You simply add the DLL to your project and then make a few modifications
> to web.config...
>
>> The big cheese/wig wants it done in less than 48 hours

>
> It should take no longer than five minutes...
>
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Rae [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2008
"LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mark Rae [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I wonder if there is a concrete solution with less configuration.

>>
>> I'm not sure how much less configuration you could want...
>>
>> You simply add the DLL to your project and then make a few modifications
>> to web.config...
>>
>>> The big cheese/wig wants it done in less than 48 hours

>>
>> It should take no longer than five minutes...


> You misunderstood me.


Likewise, I think...

> I think it is irresponsible to change something in 5 minutes then deploy
> it on production without any thorough testing.


So do I, and that's not in fact what I said...

When I mentioned five minutes, I was referring to the time required to do
the configuration, not the testing...


--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP
http://www.markrae.net

 
Reply With Quote
 
LVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2008
Naraendirakumar,

This works but

the Change the Message Type to URL does not work, I had to use <File>
Also getting security challenge dialog, which is site related.

When using URL I get File can not be displayed, so it tried to redirect but
fails to see the file.
Not sure why.

Any ways, File works for now
Might try different solutions.

Thanks,

LVP


"Naraendirakumar R.R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uNsE0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> LVP:
> If you are looking for a quick hack ... This is a decent one
> http://blog.kyanmedia.com/archives/2...tps_in_iis_60/
>
> An alternative, does your company use a network load balancer or firewall
> in front of your web servers? If so, you might be able to solve it there.
> Most NLB/firewalls have a built in feature to push http traffic to use
> https.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> -Naraen
> http://naraen.spaces.live.com
>
>
> "LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Mark,
>>
>> I read the article and there are some issues noted in the discussion.
>> I wonder if there is a concrete solution with less configuration.
>>
>> The big cheese/wig wants it done in less than 48 hours on production
>> without testing or leaving very little time for testing.
>> How to convince the monster not the monkey around I don't know.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> LVP
>>
>>
>> "Mark Rae [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "LVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>>> What are the ways to switch from http to https.
>>>
>>> This is all you need:
>>> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/web-se...curity_v2.aspx
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark Rae
>>> ASP.NET MVP
>>> http://www.markrae.net

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
switching between https and http Hemant ASP .Net 0 09-16-2009 02:07 PM
Switching from http to https and back Mark Rae ASP .Net 2 01-06-2006 06:39 PM
Switching between http and https CS ASP .Net Security 1 04-29-2005 04:51 AM
Switching between http and https popping up a login box Tony Wright ASP .Net Security 0 05-28-2004 12:24 AM
Re: Switching Between HTTP and HTTPS Jerry III ASP .Net 0 10-15-2003 07:33 AM



Advertisments