Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > (p5n32-sli SE) coax DD output doesnt work in Vista x64 (software D

(p5n32-sli SE) coax DD output doesnt work in Vista x64 (software D

markm75

I've struggled with this for a while.. and now i think ive narrowed down the
problem...

With the Asus P5N32-sli se onboard Realtek audio.. it will not output dolby
digital via the SPDIF via software players like PowerDVD, Windows Media
Player etc on x64 Vista...

On this same x64 Vista.. I can goto control panel.. audio.. playback
devices.. the digital audio one.. properties and send Dolby test signals fine
and clear to the receiver.

But on the same x64 Vista, if i attempt to use PowerDVD (set to output over
spdif).. it will freeze up.. I also tried WinDVD, it wouldnt freeze, but no
audio was heard.. With Media Player it didnt output any sound Via spdif...

I'm at a loss on x64.. as i tried x86 briefly.. the sound coming from
PowerDVD did output Dolby Digital...

Anyone happen to have this board.. and has found a way to get Dolby over
spdif under x64 vista?

I'm guessing its a limitation of the software under x64, not the hardware or
the realtek drivers?

Thanks in advance..

Colin Barnhorst

Some of the features of the Realtek driver for Vista x64 may not be enabled
yet. That is the case with a number of drivers. I have a box with a P5N32
SLI SE Deluxe. I had many issues. Be sure your BIOS is at 0704. I do not
use dolby, however.

"markm75" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've struggled with this for a while.. and now i think ive narrowed down
> the
> problem...
>
> With the Asus P5N32-sli se onboard Realtek audio.. it will not output
> dolby
> digital via the SPDIF via software players like PowerDVD, Windows Media
> Player etc on x64 Vista...
>
> On this same x64 Vista.. I can goto control panel.. audio.. playback
> devices.. the digital audio one.. properties and send Dolby test signals
> fine
> and clear to the receiver.
>
> But on the same x64 Vista, if i attempt to use PowerDVD (set to output
> over
> spdif).. it will freeze up.. I also tried WinDVD, it wouldnt freeze, but
> no
> audio was heard.. With Media Player it didnt output any sound Via spdif...
>
> I'm at a loss on x64.. as i tried x86 briefly.. the sound coming from
> PowerDVD did output Dolby Digital...
>
> Anyone happen to have this board.. and has found a way to get Dolby over
> spdif under x64 vista?
>
> I'm guessing its a limitation of the software under x64, not the hardware
> or
> the realtek drivers?
>

> Thanks in advance..

markm75

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Some of the features of the Realtek driver for Vista x64 may not be enabled
> yet. That is the case with a number of drivers. I have a box with a P5N32
> SLI SE Deluxe. I had many issues. Be sure your BIOS is at 0704. I do not
> use dolby, however.

Yeah thats the latest bios i have.

Actually.. when you goto playback devices.. the digital one.. properties..
and do a test on dolby digital.. it works fine there.. just not through ANY
software DVD player that i've tried (tried 3 so far)..

Carlos

Hi,
I'm not a Realtek audio user but I guess you should also set your speaker
output to SPDIF in Realtek's control panel (that icon on systray) so that
both driver and OS are on the same page (or output).
Carlos

"markm75" wrote:

> I've struggled with this for a while.. and now i think ive narrowed down the
> problem...
>
> With the Asus P5N32-sli se onboard Realtek audio.. it will not output dolby
> digital via the SPDIF via software players like PowerDVD, Windows Media
> Player etc on x64 Vista...
>
> On this same x64 Vista.. I can goto control panel.. audio.. playback
> devices.. the digital audio one.. properties and send Dolby test signals fine
> and clear to the receiver.
>
> But on the same x64 Vista, if i attempt to use PowerDVD (set to output over
> spdif).. it will freeze up.. I also tried WinDVD, it wouldnt freeze, but no
> audio was heard.. With Media Player it didnt output any sound Via spdif...
>
> I'm at a loss on x64.. as i tried x86 briefly.. the sound coming from
> PowerDVD did output Dolby Digital...
>
> Anyone happen to have this board.. and has found a way to get Dolby over
> spdif under x64 vista?
>
> I'm guessing its a limitation of the software under x64, not the hardware or
> the realtek drivers?
>

> Thanks in advance..

markm75

"Carlos" wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm not a Realtek audio user but I guess you should also set your speaker
> output to SPDIF in Realtek's control panel (that icon on systray) so that
> both driver and OS are on the same page (or output).
> Carlos

Actually.. my realtek control panel doesnt have a spdif output option per
say.. it has a speaker config.. but only choices are 2, 4, 6, 8 speakers, no
spdif option.

This is the case in both x64 and x86 vista.

Carlos

So you say that you can get SPDIF Dolby output in Vista x86 but not in Vista
x64 in this same PC?
Is Vista x86 Realtek Control Panel different from the x64 version?
Do the release notes of the x64 Realtek drivers say anything about SPDIF
support?
Are you using the latest drivers?
AC97 (not high-def) drivers can be downloaded from here:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...tDown=false#AC
and they are version 6251

High-Definition drivers can be downloaded from here:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...own=false#High Definition Audio Codecs
and they are R1.68

Which one you choose will depend on the particular Realtek chipset you have
embedded in your motherboard.

I guess your best option might be to check (if they exist) Realtek forums.
The closest thing I found are FAQ's here:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/faqs/faqsF...Level=2&Conn=1

I am a CreativeLabs user and have found solutions to actual problems in
their Vista forums.

Best of luck.
Carlos

"markm75" wrote:

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm not a Realtek audio user but I guess you should also set your speaker
> > output to SPDIF in Realtek's control panel (that icon on systray) so that
> > both driver and OS are on the same page (or output).
> > Carlos
> >

> Actually.. my realtek control panel doesnt have a spdif output option per
> say.. it has a speaker config.. but only choices are 2, 4, 6, 8 speakers, no
> spdif option.
>
> This is the case in both x64 and x86 vista.

Colin Barnhorst

I don't think the final feature set is enabled yet.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So you say that you can get SPDIF Dolby output in Vista x86 but not in
> Vista
> x64 in this same PC?
> Is Vista x86 Realtek Control Panel different from the x64 version?
> Do the release notes of the x64 Realtek drivers say anything about SPDIF
> support?
> Are you using the latest drivers?
> AC97 (not high-def) drivers can be downloaded from here:
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...tDown=false#AC
> and they are version 6251
>
> High-Definition drivers can be downloaded from here:
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...own=false#High
> Definition Audio Codecs
> and they are R1.68
>
> Which one you choose will depend on the particular Realtek chipset you
> have
> embedded in your motherboard.
>
> I guess your best option might be to check (if they exist) Realtek forums.
> The closest thing I found are FAQ's here:
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/faqs/faqsF...Level=2&Conn=1
>
> I am a CreativeLabs user and have found solutions to actual problems in
> their Vista forums.
>
> Best of luck.
> Carlos
>
> "markm75" wrote:
>

>> "Carlos" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm not a Realtek audio user but I guess you should also set your
>> > speaker
>> > output to SPDIF in Realtek's control panel (that icon on systray) so
>> > that
>> > both driver and OS are on the same page (or output).
>> > Carlos
>> >

>> Actually.. my realtek control panel doesnt have a spdif output option per
>> say.. it has a speaker config.. but only choices are 2, 4, 6, 8 speakers,
>> no
>> spdif option.
>>
>> This is the case in both x64 and x86 vista.

Carlos

My guess is the same.
Even CreativeLabs (aka Soundblaster) has no final full-featured drivers
after one year of Vista RTM existence.
They still have no permanent solution for the bass-redirection feature on
some cards.
There were may profound changes in the Vista audio subsystem and it seems
that the audio chipset manufacturers have not been able to catch up, though I
don't excuse them.
Carlos

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> I don't think the final feature set is enabled yet.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > So you say that you can get SPDIF Dolby output in Vista x86 but not in
> > Vista
> > x64 in this same PC?
> > Is Vista x86 Realtek Control Panel different from the x64 version?
> > Do the release notes of the x64 Realtek drivers say anything about SPDIF
> > support?
> > Are you using the latest drivers?
> > AC97 (not high-def) drivers can be downloaded from here:
> > http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...tDown=false#AC
> > and they are version 6251
> >
> > High-Definition drivers can be downloaded from here:
> > http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...own=false#High
> > Definition Audio Codecs
> > and they are R1.68
> >
> > Which one you choose will depend on the particular Realtek chipset you
> > have
> > embedded in your motherboard.
> >
> > I guess your best option might be to check (if they exist) Realtek forums.
> > The closest thing I found are FAQ's here:
> > http://www.realtek.com.tw/faqs/faqsF...Level=2&Conn=1
> >
> > I am a CreativeLabs user and have found solutions to actual problems in
> > their Vista forums.
> >
> > Best of luck.
> > Carlos

> >> Actually.. my realtek control panel doesnt have a spdif output option per
> >> say.. it has a speaker config.. but only choices are 2, 4, 6, 8 speakers,
> >> no
> >> spdif option.
> >>
> >> This is the case in both x64 and x86 vista.

Colin Barnhorst

nVidia's 169.25 has comments in the Help file that mention that some of the
nVidia Center options are not enabled in x64 but are "coming real soon now."

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My guess is the same.
> Even CreativeLabs (aka Soundblaster) has no final full-featured drivers
> after one year of Vista RTM existence.
> They still have no permanent solution for the bass-redirection feature on
> some cards.
> There were may profound changes in the Vista audio subsystem and it seems
> that the audio chipset manufacturers have not been able to catch up,
> though I
> don't excuse them.
> Carlos
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> I don't think the final feature set is enabled yet.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > So you say that you can get SPDIF Dolby output in Vista x86 but not in
>> > Vista
>> > x64 in this same PC?
>> > Is Vista x86 Realtek Control Panel different from the x64 version?
>> > Do the release notes of the x64 Realtek drivers say anything about
>> > SPDIF
>> > support?
>> > Are you using the latest drivers?
>> > AC97 (not high-def) drivers can be downloaded from here:
>> > http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...tDown=false#AC
>> > and they are version 6251
>> >
>> > High-Definition drivers can be downloaded from here:
>> > http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...own=false#High
>> > Definition Audio Codecs
>> > and they are R1.68
>> >
>> > Which one you choose will depend on the particular Realtek chipset you
>> > have
>> > embedded in your motherboard.
>> >
>> > I guess your best option might be to check (if they exist) Realtek
>> > forums.
>> > The closest thing I found are FAQ's here:
>> > http://www.realtek.com.tw/faqs/faqsF...Level=2&Conn=1
>> >
>> > I am a CreativeLabs user and have found solutions to actual problems in
>> > their Vista forums.
>> >
>> > Best of luck.
>> > Carlos

Carlos

"Real soon" in NVidia's timescale might be sometime around... let me see...
2011?

Carlos