Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > voip - - confused u will be !

voip - - confused u will be !

Homeworker

Jeex theres another one into themix , voipfone have an
impressive website thats for sure !

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:52:34 GMT, "Homeworker" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>thanks i will sign upwith sipgate and start the
>>learning process
>>voip.co.uk seem to have a less friendly website , theres nowhere to sign
>>up thats obvious an residential plans seem to be suspended

> Seems voip.co.uk no longer want to know about residential customers
> I emailed them a week ago and they haven't had the decency to reply,
> I have now signed up with voipfone and up to now received good
> service.

Homeworker

mmm. sipgate xlite phone seems to have 3 lines ? three buttons
on the phone ..when i call my sipgate number LINE3 flashes
any ideas why ? 3 and what can i do / activate the other 2

"Iain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Homeworker wrote:
>> "you'll have to start again with proper SIP VOIP."
>>
>> you seem knowlegable ! .. are YOU prepared to step me thru it
>>
>> where would YOU start

> I would either start with voip.co.uk or with sipgate.co.uk, using a
> software phone to begin with (you can download x-lite pre-configured for
> your Sipgate account from their website, but the setup for voip.co.uk is
> even easier)
>
> When I was happy it was working properly, I'd then buy a PAP2T from Provu
> and use that, with one or two ordinary phones plugged into it.

Homeworker

ansered that one myself but fo ny reders benefit

With your free soft phone, you can accept up to 3 calls simultaneously. With
VoIP adapters for ordinary telephones and the new SIP telephones, you can
have as many incoming calls as they have buttons - the snom 300, for
example, has 4 and the snom 360 has 12.

As a new call arrives when you are already on a call you will hear a beep
and the line light on your phone will flash. If you click the light you put
your first call on hold and answer the second. If a third call comes in, you
click on its light and the other two calls are put on hold. While on hold we
play them some music.
You toggle between calls by clicking on the lights.

Of course, combined with the use of telephone extensions on our Virtual PBX,
this becomes an extremely powerful and cost effective business tool.

"Homeworker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d05ij.7419$g%(E-Mail Removed)...
> mmm. sipgate xlite phone seems to have 3 lines ? three buttons
> on the phone ..when i call my sipgate number LINE3 flashes
> any ideas why ? 3 and what can i do / activate the other 2
>

> "Iain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Homeworker wrote:
>>> "you'll have to start again with proper SIP VOIP."
>>>
>>> you seem knowlegable ! .. are YOU prepared to step me thru it
>>>
>>> where would YOU start

>> I would either start with voip.co.uk or with sipgate.co.uk, using a
>> software phone to begin with (you can download x-lite pre-configured for
>> your Sipgate account from their website, but the setup for voip.co.uk is
>> even easier)
>>
>> When I was happy it was working properly, I'd then buy a PAP2T from Provu
>> and use that, with one or two ordinary phones plugged into it.

zen153607@zen.co.uk

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:27:51 GMT, "Homeworker" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Jeex theres another one into themix , voipfone have an
>impressive website thats for sure !

Zen's own voip offering which is 5.00 a month is crap in comparison
with voipfone who only charge 2.00 for a local geographical number.
Voipfone have a service where you can call a London number on
your mobile then hang up they call you back and you can then dial any
number you wish and only get charged for the call to your mobile plus
the cost of whatever call you make .
The cost per call usually works out about 10 p a minute instead of
maybe 30p or 40 p a minute on mobile unless you have free minutes.

Homeworker

Ok i REALLY like the viopfone website , its helped me lot
as its easy to navigte and read
iTs got loeads of features and im no expert but its not the cheapest
but its not expensive

They made a big mistake though , they gave me 5 mins of free
calltime which i used and the service was CRAP , i mean dismal
...almost impossible to hold any type of conversation , and i tried 4
different
people ...i am hoping its just them having bad day as i like just about
everything else about them.shame cause Skype and Sipgate quality is
outstanding

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:27:51 GMT, "Homeworker" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Jeex theres another one into themix , voipfone have an
>>impressive website thats for sure !

> Zen's own voip offering which is 5.00 a month is crap in comparison
> with voipfone who only charge 2.00 for a local geographical number.
> Voipfone have a service where you can call a London number on
> your mobile then hang up they call you back and you can then dial any
> number you wish and only get charged for the call to your mobile plus
> the cost of whatever call you make .
> The cost per call usually works out about 10 p a minute instead of
> maybe 30p or 40 p a minute on mobile unless you have free minutes.

Martin²

Homeworker:
>With your free soft phone, you can accept up to 3 calls simultaneously.

And if you get hold of X-Pro, you can have six and do conference calls.
Regards,
Martin

Iain

Homeworker wrote:
> thanks i will sign upwith sipgate and start the
> learning process
> voip.co.uk seem to have a less friendly website , theres nowhere to sign
> up thats obvious an residential plans seem to be suspended

There was a time when voip.co.uk were cheaper than Sipgate, and
voip.co.uk is more powerful and configurable, but it isn't well
explained on their website.

However, with sipgate you seem to have to faff about putting in stun
servers, which voip.co.uk seems fine without.

Jono

on 12/01/2008, Homeworker supposed :
> They made a big mistake though , they gave me 5 mins of free
> calltime which i used and the service was CRAP , i mean dismal
> ..almost impossible to hold any type of conversation , and i tried 4
> different
> people ...i am hoping its just them having bad day as i like just about
> everything else about them.shame cause Skype and Sipgate quality is
> outstanding

Hmm. Never experienced anything of the sort, myself, with VF........

Had you not said that you'd got Sipgate working, I would have
immediately blamed your setup rather than VF.....however, this is still
likely to be the case.

mymail@hotmail.co.uk

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:44:41 GMT, "Homeworker" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>They made a big mistake though , they gave me 5 mins of free
>calltime which i used and the service was CRAP , i mean dismal
>..almost impossible to hold any type of conversation , and i tried 4
>different
>people ...i am hoping its just them having bad day as i like just about
>everything else about them.shame cause Skype and Sipgate quality is
>outstanding

I have held an account with Voipfone for over two years since I left
poxy Sipgate in fact and one thing I cannot say about them is that
they are CRAP far from it in fact ,you sure you haven't got your
thinking mixed up with that SIPGATE CRAP that you reckon you have ? .

Mr JM

> Seems voip.co.uk no longer want to know about residential customers
> I emailed them a week ago and they haven't had the decency to reply,
> I have now signed up with voipfone and up to now received good
> service.

Do you? I tried voipfone.co.uk and never managed to figure out a DTMF
setting that works for all the various conference call I have to join, and
still be able to use their voicemail. On top of that, if I am just
listenning (i.e. my phone is on mute), I get cut off after 5 min. I have a
ticket with them for about 1 year now....

Oh, and I am using a SNOM300. So I am back to voip.co.uk for now... although
www.tescointernetphone.com seems like a more residential user friendly
option (if that works that is).

JM