Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > TV Modes Question

TV Modes Question

Robert11

Hi,

Realize it's a bit not quite PC related, but hope topic is close enough not
to violate any forum protocalls.
Everyone here, it seems, just knows so much about this kinda stuff.

Got to thinking about TV's a bit.

a. Irrespective of if anyone makes them or not, can CRT TV sets be made for
digital inputs ?
b. Does anyone offer them ?

c. Can CRT TV's be made for digital, and High Definition ?
d. Anyone offer them like this ?

Thanks,
B.

richard

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:54:55 -0500, "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Realize it's a bit not quite PC related, but hope topic is close enough not
>to violate any forum protocalls.
>Everyone here, it seems, just knows so much about this kinda stuff.
>
>Got to thinking about TV's a bit.
>
>a. Irrespective of if anyone makes them or not, can CRT TV sets be made for
>digital inputs ?
>b. Does anyone offer them ?
>
>c. Can CRT TV's be made for digital, and High Definition ?
>d. Anyone offer them like this ?
>
>Thanks,
>B.

CRT stands for "Cathode Ray Tube".
The original method of watching tv.
We have now seen the introduction of LCD, and plasma.
Neither of which are CRT's.
If you have one of those big bulky Tv's, it's a CRT.
Today's CRT's are designed with digital inputs so that you can plug in
various digital based equipment.
Just go to any dealer and ask.

As for HD, did you know it's actually Imax?
In the very near future, that next big tv you buy will be HD ready.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Might find something here http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Monitor2.htm
--

Wonder What the Cockpit Looks Like...
http://tinyurl.com/yurznf

G. Morgan

richard wrote:

>As for HD, did you know it's actually Imax?

Huh? Classic RTS..

PeeCee

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi,
>
> Realize it's a bit not quite PC related, but hope topic is close enough
> not to violate any forum protocalls.
> Everyone here, it seems, just knows so much about this kinda stuff.
>
> Got to thinking about TV's a bit.
>
> a. Irrespective of if anyone makes them or not, can CRT TV sets be made
> for digital inputs ?
> b. Does anyone offer them ?
>
> c. Can CRT TV's be made for digital, and High Definition ?
> d. Anyone offer them like this ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

Robert

a. Yes
b. Yes and no
c. Yes but.
d. Depends

Comentary

One yes and three maybe's. Why?

Several points to consider:
A CRT is a display device that accepts 'analog' signals.
A TV is a 'system' consisting of a display device and the signal processing
circuitry to convert the broadcast signal to show on a display device.
(The display device in this context could be but not limited to mono CRT,
colour CRT, LCD, Plasma, little green men drawing pictures on paper every
25th of a second etc.)
Therefore a CRT is not necessarily a TV and a TV does not necessarily need a
CRT.
The 'quality' or resolution of what's shown to the viewer depends on how the
signal is processed by the devices involved and the resolution of the
display device.

Therefore to expand on the answers above:

a.
A CRT TV built to current TV standards could be made to accept Digital TV
signals but you would have to place a converter between the digital signal
and the CRT TV to convert the digital signal to one the CRT TV input
circuitry can process to show on the screen.
This is in fact what happens when you connect (say) a sattelite or cable
decoder to a CRT TV, the original signal may be HD but the output to the CRT
TV will be resized to match the CRT TV's resolution.
i.e. probably a lot less that that broadcast.
In theory you could build a HD CRT TV but current CRT display technology is
crude compared to the resolution modern flat panel displays are capbable of.
CRT TV's with built in HD to CRT circuitry may be around (one can never say
never) but as CRT technology is now dead, no one is going to waste money on
developing such a TV.
After all who would buy it?

b.
See a.

c.
See a.

d.
See a.

Best
Paul.

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, richard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As for HD, did you know it's actually Imax?

This is idiotic.
Imax is a film format tied to a couple projection options.
It has NOTHING WHATEVER to do with TV standards.

The Old Sourdough

On 2008-01-08, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, G Morgan waxed eloquently:
> richard wrote:
>
>>As for HD, did you know it's actually Imax?

> Huh? Classic RTS..

RtS likes to watch Imax "movys" on his TV....

--
The Old Sourdough
Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead

ftran999

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi,
>
> Realize it's a bit not quite PC related, but hope topic is close enough
> not to violate any forum protocalls.
> Everyone here, it seems, just knows so much about this kinda stuff.
>
> Got to thinking about TV's a bit.
>
> a. Irrespective of if anyone makes them or not, can CRT TV sets be made
> for digital inputs ?
> b. Does anyone offer them ?
>
> c. Can CRT TV's be made for digital, and High Definition ?

Though there may not be any currently on the market, at one time there were
HD CRTs Available.
> d. Anyone offer them like this ?

Sony is (or was?) one such company. In fact when the 34" XBR model was on
the market, many considered it to be one of the best HD TVs.