Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Hotspot

Hotspot

Hi there,

Probably not the right newsgroup but maybe someone can give me a hint.
I want to make my XP Pro machine act as a gateway for the Internet without a
wireless router.
Just an Wireless NIC and a Wired NIC. Is there anyway that I can control
this and give only certain people access to that Gateway (shared connection
maybe). Would be nice if people where asked for password and username which
I can control before using the gateway.
So this way I could use my XP machine as a hotspot?

Thanks in advange.
-r-o-e-v-k-a-

DLink Guru

You would want to connect a wireless Router/AP to your system instead of the
wireless client if you want people to access your Hot Spot wirelessly to
start with.......

<-r-o-e-v-k-a-> wrote in message
news:421e6449$0$26071$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> Probably not the right newsgroup but maybe someone can give me a hint.
> I want to make my XP Pro machine act as a gateway for the Internet without
> a wireless router.
> Just an Wireless NIC and a Wired NIC. Is there anyway that I can control
> this and give only certain people access to that Gateway (shared
> connection maybe). Would be nice if people where asked for password and
> username which I can control before using the gateway.
> So this way I could use my XP machine as a hotspot?
>
> Thanks in advange.
> -r-o-e-v-k-a-

Thanks for the answer. I know I can use an AP/Router. I was just wondering
if I could without and let XP act as a Router instead.
De wireless NIC will pick up different users, A piece of software will the
autorisation part so I can control the gateway (wired nic) with
username/password.

-r-o-e-v-k-a-

"DLink Guru" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You would want to connect a wireless Router/AP to your system instead of
> the wireless client if you want people to access your Hot Spot wirelessly
> to start with.......
>

> <-r-o-e-v-k-a-> wrote in message
> news:421e6449$0$26071$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Probably not the right newsgroup but maybe someone can give me a hint.
>> I want to make my XP Pro machine act as a gateway for the Internet
>> without a wireless router.
>> Just an Wireless NIC and a Wired NIC. Is there anyway that I can control
>> this and give only certain people access to that Gateway (shared
>> connection maybe). Would be nice if people where asked for password and
>> username which I can control before using the gateway.
>> So this way I could use my XP machine as a hotspot?
>>
>> Thanks in advange.
>> -r-o-e-v-k-a-

DLink Guru

A wireless NIC, or client, will not allow other users to log into your
system to share your internet without alot of user intervention setting up
IP, Subnet, gateway addresses in ad hoc mode on all clients that want to
access your computer.

It would be alot easier to use a Router/AP for client DHCP Handling and
Internet sharing.

Robert...
<-r-o-e-v-k-a-> wrote in message
news:421eefec$0$26075$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the answer. I know I can use an AP/Router. I was just wondering
> if I could without and let XP act as a Router instead.
> De wireless NIC will pick up different users, A piece of software will the
> autorisation part so I can control the gateway (wired nic) with
> username/password.
>
> -r-o-e-v-k-a-
>
> "DLink Guru" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You would want to connect a wireless Router/AP to your system instead of
>> the wireless client if you want people to access your Hot Spot wirelessly
>> to start with.......
>>

>> <-r-o-e-v-k-a-> wrote in message
>> news:421e6449$0$26071$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Probably not the right newsgroup but maybe someone can give me a hint.
>>> I want to make my XP Pro machine act as a gateway for the Internet
>>> without a wireless router.
>>> Just an Wireless NIC and a Wired NIC. Is there anyway that I can
>>> control this and give only certain people access to that Gateway (shared
>>> connection maybe). Would be nice if people where asked for password and
>>> username which I can control before using the gateway.
>>> So this way I could use my XP machine as a hotspot?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advange.
>>> -r-o-e-v-k-a-

Thanks again....
But the question is and was is it possible....
When I use a router I can't control the access as I want.
I discovered I need something like a radius server.
Someone here familiar with that?

Grtz,