Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > getting rid of computer

getting rid of computer

Blinky the Shark

howard wrote:

> Evan Platt wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:40:28 +0000, howard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Getting a new one,
>>> My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up. I am a
>>> little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details. I clear
>>> cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
>>> programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

>> Completely wipe the drive clean..
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129

> He wants to keep the xp operating system, ive deleted most of my files,
> left some games on, backed up my photos and work files.

Deleting doesn't really delete them. You need to overwrite them.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Plato

howard wrote:

> Getting a new one,
> My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
> I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
> I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
> programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

Run a zero fill utility. Free.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Barry OGrady

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:40:28 +0000, howard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Getting a new one,
>My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
>I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
>I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
>programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

Do a format and clear, or to be safe remove the hard drive and run
it through a compactor.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Desk Rabbit

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:40:28 +0000, howard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Getting a new one,
>> My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
>> I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
>> I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
>> programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

> Completely wipe the drive clean..

Indeed. I find a sledgehammer or shotgun very effective. "It's the only
way to be sure"

BK

howard wrote:
> Ghostrider wrote:
>>
>> howard wrote:

>>> He wants to keep the xp operating system, ive deleted most of my
>>> files, left some games on, backed up my photos and work files.

>> Insofar as this particular computer is concerned, the Windows XP OS
>> is essentially worthless to you. You are going to sell it along with
>> the computer, in any event, right? The safest solution would be to
>> wipe the entire hard drive clean, scrub it with a low-level format
>> using a program from the hard drive's manufacturer and then re-install
>> Windows XP before releasing the computer.
>>

> Sounds a good idea thanks

Check your system date... last time I checked, we were in 2008, not 2009
^_^

howard