Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How often do new cameras come out

How often do new cameras come out

C J Campbell

On 2008-01-07 04:28:44 -0800, "Ken" <Reply to NG only> said:

> Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
> anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
>
> Ken

New cameras come out all the time. Actually, the marketing folks have
spies watching you. When Ken finally buys the last camera on clearance,
the camera manufacturers all breathe a huge sigh of relief, knowing
that they can release the next round of new cameras. All of us here
wish you would hurry up and buy that last obsolete camera so we can see
what the next generation looks like. (And I bet you thought that all
those 'security' cameras in every store and on every corner really were
for security. Nuh-uh. They are watching you so they can notify the
entire rest of the world that Ken bought the last of the old lot of
cameras.)

This is why every time you buy a camera you suddenly see a bunch of new
and better ones.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

David J Taylor

C J Campbell wrote:
[]
> Still, there will probably be a slew of point & shoots announced at
> PMA, too.

Not much for hope for 5-6MP cameras with lower-noise 2/3-inch sensors,
though.

David

Michael Meissner

C J Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 2008-01-07 08:28:38 -0800, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:28:44 +0000, Ken wrote:
>>
>>> Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
>>> anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
>>>
>>> Ken

>> Probably not in January or February. Most consumer electronics products
>> debut in the last summer into fall in preparation for Christmas sales. You
>> need to balance 'waiting and doing without' against having the latest
>> gizmo immediately after it arrives. I find that buying 'mature' products
>> saves a lot of money. But then only you can answer the question "Am I
>> interested in sufficiency or excellency?"

> Well, there is PMA next month.

And CES just ended.

--
Michael Meissner