Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless / mDNS / Bonjour

Wireless / mDNS / Bonjour

matthew.larkin@gmail.com

There doesn't seem to be much net activity around this topic, so an
help here gratefully received.

I have just bought an Olivetti Any_Way wireless all in one printer. I
installed this first on my wife's laptop, with 100% success. THe
laptop is wireless with a realtek chip.

Then I came to do my desktop. This is hardwired into my wireless
router via ethernet. The printer installed fine when connected via
USB, but when I switch to the wifi installation method it cannot find
the printer.

I have tracked this down to being an issue with mDNS. As I understand
it, this allows a printer to advertise itself across a network.

The odd thing is that if I switch on the wifi card in my desktop it
finds the printer perfectly. As soon as I switch off the wireless it
fails.

So I'm assuming one of two things is happening:-
-mDNS only works with one device actively talking to another directly
via wifi (i.e. not through the router as an intermediary) OR
-there is something in my network setup for the ethernet port which is
blocking the mDNS information coming wirelessly from the printer via
the router's ethernet port to my desktop.

I don't have windows firewall turned on.

Any help gratefully received.

Matt

matthew.larkin@gmail.com

On 7 Jan, 08:28, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> There doesn't seem to be much net activity around this topic, so an
> help here gratefully received.
>
> I have just bought an Olivetti Any_Way wireless all in one printer. *I
> installed this first on my wife's laptop, with 100% success. *THe
> laptop is wireless with a realtek chip.
>
> Then I came to do my desktop. *This is hardwired into my wireless
> router via ethernet. *The printer installed fine when connected via
> USB, but when I switch to the wifi installation method it cannot find
> the printer.
>
> I have tracked this down to being an issue with mDNS. *As I understand
> it, this allows a printer to advertise itself across a network.
>
> The odd thing is that if I switch on the wifi card in my desktop it
> finds the printer perfectly. *As soon as I switch off the wireless it
> fails.
>
> So I'm assuming one of two things is happening:-
> -mDNS only works with one device actively talking to another directly
> via wifi (i.e. not through the router as an intermediary) OR
> -there is something in my network setup for the ethernet port which is
> blocking the mDNS information coming wirelessly from the printer via
> the router's ethernet port to my desktop.
>
> I don't have windows firewall turned on.
>
> Any help gratefully received.
>
> Matt

Just to provide an additional bit of info, I downloaded "My ZeroConf
Neighbourhood". This provides browsing of ZeroConf (Bonjour) devices.

With wireless turned off my desktop PC (but still connected to the
desktop), no items appear. With wireless turned on the printer
appears as a device.

Why would it work wirelessly but not wired?

Thanks!

Matt

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Hi
If the printer is Network Ready it has to be installed to communicate with
the Router, then it would be available to all the computers that are
connected to the Network.
If it is Not network ready, then it is installed on one computer and can be
shared as any other shared component.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There doesn't seem to be much net activity around this topic, so an
> help here gratefully received.
>
> I have just bought an Olivetti Any_Way wireless all in one printer. I
> installed this first on my wife's laptop, with 100% success. THe
> laptop is wireless with a realtek chip.
>
> Then I came to do my desktop. This is hardwired into my wireless
> router via ethernet. The printer installed fine when connected via
> USB, but when I switch to the wifi installation method it cannot find
> the printer.
>
> I have tracked this down to being an issue with mDNS. As I understand
> it, this allows a printer to advertise itself across a network.
>
> The odd thing is that if I switch on the wifi card in my desktop it
> finds the printer perfectly. As soon as I switch off the wireless it
> fails.
>
> So I'm assuming one of two things is happening:-
> -mDNS only works with one device actively talking to another directly
> via wifi (i.e. not through the router as an intermediary) OR
> -there is something in my network setup for the ethernet port which is
> blocking the mDNS information coming wirelessly from the printer via
> the router's ethernet port to my desktop.
>
> I don't have windows firewall turned on.
>
> Any help gratefully received.
>
> Matt

matthew.larkin@gmail.com

On 7 Jan, 16:53, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi
> If the printer is Network Ready it has to be installed to communicate with
> the Router, then it would be available to all the computers that are
> connected to the Network.
> If it is Not network ready, then it is installed on one computer and can be
> shared as any other shared component.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Not sure what you mean by "network ready"? It is installed and set up
in "infrastructure" mode, and obtains an IP address satisfactorily
from the router (I can see this from the router's web configuration
pages).

Its the bonjour bit which isn't working properly.

When I turn on my wireless card in the desktop PC (which I don't
normally bother with) everything works faultlessly. I can see the
printer in "My ZeroConf Neighbourhood" and I can even ping it from the
commandline using "ping OAW0000000000.local" (where 000000000 is the
mac address). I believe that this is the correct naming convention
for a bonjour service device. I can also ping it using its
192.168.1.6 IP address and also access the configuration pages of the
device. So in short, when wireless, everything is perfect!

However, when I disconnect the wireless card and rely only on the
ethernet NIC which is plugged into the router (which I'd prefer to do
for security and speed) I cannot ping the printer using the "ping
OAQ...." style name, and the printer fails to be detected. However, I
can still ping the printer using the IP address and access the
configuration pages of the printer using the IP address only.

So what seems to be happening is that the bonjour service is being
transmitted wirelessly from the printer, but can only be received on
the desktop wireless, not via the ethernet NIC. This doesn't sound
right to me?

Does that clear things up?

Matt

Lem

> On 7 Jan, 16:53, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Hi
>> If the printer is Network Ready it has to be installed to communicate with
>> the Router, then it would be available to all the computers that are
>> connected to the Network.
>> If it is Not network ready, then it is installed on one computer and can be
>> shared as any other shared component.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>

> Not sure what you mean by "network ready"? It is installed and set up
> in "infrastructure" mode, and obtains an IP address satisfactorily
> from the router (I can see this from the router's web configuration
> pages).
>
> Its the bonjour bit which isn't working properly.
>
> When I turn on my wireless card in the desktop PC (which I don't
> normally bother with) everything works faultlessly. I can see the
> printer in "My ZeroConf Neighbourhood" and I can even ping it from the
> commandline using "ping OAW0000000000.local" (where 000000000 is the
> mac address). I believe that this is the correct naming convention
> for a bonjour service device. I can also ping it using its
> 192.168.1.6 IP address and also access the configuration pages of the
> device. So in short, when wireless, everything is perfect!
>
> However, when I disconnect the wireless card and rely only on the
> ethernet NIC which is plugged into the router (which I'd prefer to do
> for security and speed) I cannot ping the printer using the "ping
> OAQ...." style name, and the printer fails to be detected. However, I
> can still ping the printer using the IP address and access the
> configuration pages of the printer using the IP address only.
>
> So what seems to be happening is that the bonjour service is being
> transmitted wirelessly from the printer, but can only be received on
> the desktop wireless, not via the ethernet NIC. This doesn't sound
> right to me?
>
> Does that clear things up?
>
> Matt

"Bonjour" is an Apple-supplied networking technology, although Apple
does offer Bonjour for Windows. From your use of the term "My ZeroConf
Neighbourhood", I assume that you either have a MAC or have installed
Bonjour for Windows on a Windows PC. Either way, you're more likely to
get help with a Bonjour issue from an Apple support newsgroup. Start
here: http://www.apple.com/support/bonjour/

Typically, in Windows networking, one accesses a node on a LAN by IP
address or hostname rather than MAC address.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

matthew.larkin@gmail.com

On 7 Jan, 23:32, Lem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Bonjour" is an Apple-supplied networking technology, although Apple
> does offer Bonjour for Windows. *From your use of the term "My ZeroConf
> Neighbourhood", I assume that you either have a MAC or have installed
> Bonjour for Windows on a Windows PC. *Either way, you're more likely to
> get help with a Bonjour issue from an Apple support newsgroup. * Start
> here:http://www.apple.com/support/bonjour/
>
> Typically, in Windows networking, one accesses a node on a LAN by IP
> address or hostname rather than MAC address.
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Cheers - yes, I was aware of all of that. My desktop is an XP Pro SP2
machine. The printer installation included "mdsnresponder.exe" (a
bonjour service installation) and when that didn't work I've since
installed Bonjour for Windows 1.0.4 and My ZeroConf Neighbourhood.

I'll give apple support a try, but I was hoping that there was
something in the Windows networking setup which was preventing the
Bonjour service from coming through a wired ethernet adaptor.

Any other ideas?

Matt