Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 2008: A Pay for Blu-Ray

2008: A Pay for Blu-Ray

Just Visiting

Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that
I invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and
see who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD
DVD-RAM, too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.

Wes Newell

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:43:19 +0000, Just Visiting wrote:

> Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
> in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
> will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
> the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that I
> invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and see
> who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD DVD-RAM,
> too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.

The format war is a long way from over when there's only 5% market
saturation now. I wouldn't call it over til there's at least 20%
saturation. The winner could end up being HD-VMD. It's a lot cheaper than
both of the others, both in unit cost and it disc cost. How about a $299
HD-VMD player/recorder with 100 GB storage and $2 blank disc? And from a
US company? Or just a HD-VMD player for $179. Might make an impact if they
don't wait too long to release it here and bring manufacturing up to speed.

So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.

http://www.nmeinc.com/

Just Visiting

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:26:33 GMT, Wes Newell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:43:19 +0000, Just Visiting wrote:
>
>> Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
>> in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
>> will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
>> the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that I
>> invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and see
>> who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD DVD-RAM,
>> too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.

>The format war is a long way from over when there's only 5% market
>saturation now. I wouldn't call it over til there's at least 20%
>saturation. The winner could end up being HD-VMD. It's a lot cheaper than
>both of the others, both in unit cost and it disc cost. How about a $299
>HD-VMD player/recorder with 100 GB storage and $2 blank disc? And from a
>US company? Or just a HD-VMD player for $179. Might make an impact if they
>don't wait too long to release it here and bring manufacturing up to speed.
>
>So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.
>
>http://www.nmeinc.com/

Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will
the company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of
support can they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How
reliable is their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when
Blu-Ray offers me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is
important to me.

willbill

Just Visiting wrote:

>> So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.
>>
>> http://www.nmeinc.com/

> Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will
> the company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of
> support can they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How
> reliable is their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when
> Blu-Ray offers me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is
> important to me.

if Warner and the others quit making
all those tapes and DVDs of movies,
that will help end the war

bill

just bob

"willbill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just Visiting wrote:
>

>>> So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.
>>>
>>> http://www.nmeinc.com/

>> Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will
>> the company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of
>> support can they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How
>> reliable is their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when
>> Blu-Ray offers me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is
>> important to me.

> if Warner and the others quit making
> all those tapes and DVDs of movies,
> that will help end the war

Agreed. The content makers will decide the format. BD had another victory
with WB but we have yet to see the flood gates open wide.

willbill

just bob wrote:
> "willbill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will
>>> the company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of
>>> support can they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How
>>> reliable is their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when
>>> Blu-Ray offers me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is
>>> important to me.

>> if Warner and the others quit making
>> all those tapes and DVDs of movies,
>> that will help end the war

> Agreed. The content makers will decide the format. BD had another victory
> with WB but we have yet to see the flood gates open wide.

the "flood gates" will open wide when
the price comes down

Toshiba was already doing that (lower price)
with HD-DVD, and their players aren't as
clunky as the BD players

and they aren't as cluttered with
copy protection as the BD players are

odds are that it (lower price) won't happen
soon with BD, despite the Warner move with
ditching HD-DVD

bill

Wes Newell

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:02:15 -0500, Just Visiting wrote:

>>http://www.nmeinc.com/

> Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will the
> company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of support can
> they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How reliable is
> their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when Blu-Ray offers
> me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is important to me.

Why do you think I provided a link to their website? Go read it. It
answers all your questions.

Ch19

HD-VMD is over, its too late for another to jump in they will sink . If it
was a few years ago maby but not now.

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:02:15 -0500, Just Visiting wrote:
>

>>>http://www.nmeinc.com/

>> Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will the
>> company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of support can
>> they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How reliable is
>> their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when Blu-Ray offers
>> me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is important to me.

> Why do you think I provided a link to their website? Go read it. It
> answers all your questions.
>

> --
> Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
> My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
> Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
> AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php

ninphan

On Jan 7, 8:02*pm, Just Visiting <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:26:33 GMT, Wes Newell
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:43:19 +0000, Just Visiting wrote:

> >> Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
> >> in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
> >> will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
> >> the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that I
> >> invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and see
> >> who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD DVD-RAM,
> >> too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.

> >The format war is a long way from over when there's only 5% market
> >saturation now. I wouldn't call it over til there's at least 20%
> >saturation. The winner could end up being HD-VMD. It's a lot cheaper than
> >both of the others, both in unit cost and it disc cost. How about a $299
> >HD-VMD player/recorder with 100 GB storage and $2 blank disc? And from a
> >US company? Or just a HD-VMD player for $179. Might make an impact if they
> >don't wait too long to release it here and bring manufacturing up to speed.

> >So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.

> >http://www.nmeinc.com/

> Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will
> the company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of
> support can they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How
> reliable is their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when
> Blu-Ray offers me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is
> important to me.- Hide quoted text -

Anyone who tells you there is any optical disc format that will now
beat Blu-ray is kidding themselves.
Blu-ray is supported by companies globally, including China.
As for HD DVD-RAM, Panasonic only make Blu-ray and DVD, so you won't
see HD DVD-RAM from them. They do already make BD25-R and BD50-R discs
though, up to 4x burning. They also have a Blu-ray burner, as do
several others including Philips, Sony, Pioneer, Plextor, Lite-On, LG
and others.

alan.browne@gmail.com

On Jan 6, 10:43 pm, Just Visiting <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
> in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
> will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
> the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that
> I invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and
> see who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD
> DVD-RAM, too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.

While I have nothing against VMD I certainly have not seen any titles
in the stores.

Too little, too late.

Let's just kill off HD_DVD as quickly and painlessly as possible and
move on.

Blu-ray forever (well the next 10 years anyway).