Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CMOS Clear

CMOS Clear

Bob H

Looking on my Motherboard for the CMOS Clear jumper and have found something
that looks like it and it is labeled BIOS Config. Could someone confirm to me
that this is the correct place. It has 3 pins and a movable jumper across two
of the pins.

Cub

"Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Looking on my Motherboard for the CMOS Clear jumper and have found
> something
> that looks like it and it is labeled BIOS Config. Could someone confirm to
> me
> that this is the correct place. It has 3 pins and a movable jumper across
> two
> of the pins.

And the MOBO model is ????

Bob H

"Cub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:flrnq4$6si$(E-Mail Removed)...

"Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Looking on my Motherboard for the CMOS Clear jumper and have found
> something
> that looks like it and it is labeled BIOS Config. Could someone confirm to
> me
> that this is the correct place. It has 3 pins and a movable jumper across
> two
> of the pins.

And the MOBO model is ????

That's a good question also. It's an E-Machines Model T2742 and have no data
to tell what MOBO is in it. I do know it has an Intel 845GV chipset.

philo

"Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Looking on my Motherboard for the CMOS Clear jumper and have found
> something
> that looks like it and it is labeled BIOS Config. Could someone confirm to
> me
> that this is the correct place. It has 3 pins and a movable jumper across
> two
> of the pins.

If it's near the battery...then that's probably the right one.
with the power off...move the jumper over for a few seconds...then move it
back...
it should re-set your cmos.

(BTW: as long as the power is off...even if it's the wrong jumper...(and you
return it to it's original position...
it will not do any harm)

Bob H

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Looking on my Motherboard for the CMOS Clear jumper and have found
> something
> that looks like it and it is labeled BIOS Config. Could someone confirm to
> me
> that this is the correct place. It has 3 pins and a movable jumper across
> two
> of the pins.

If it's near the battery...then that's probably the right one.
with the power off...move the jumper over for a few seconds...then move it
back...
it should re-set your cmos.

(BTW: as long as the power is off...even if it's the wrong jumper...(and you
return it to it's original position...
it will not do any harm)

If I do that is there any further action on my part or will it bootup
automatically with BIOS defaults?

Jim McCARDLE

It sounds like the "clear cmos" jumpers BUT why dont you search on the
web for the info on the mainboard just to be sure.
Most Boards will have a label saying the make and model number.
Then go to their web site and look up the manual for that board. They
are usually a PDF file and all you do is scan through and you will see
what the jumpers are.
A few years back there used to be a jumper that let you re-flash the
BIOS eprom. there was virus that used to scramble the bios chip. It
was really bad news on laptops as the bios chips were not in sockets
like a lot of the older motherboards but were, and still are, soldered
direct to the circuit board.
Hope this helps you.
J McCARDLE http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:09:25 -0500, "Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Looking on my Motherboard for the CMOS Clear jumper and have found something
>that looks like it and it is labeled BIOS Config. Could someone confirm to me
>that this is the correct place. It has 3 pins and a movable jumper across two
>of the pins.

philo

> If it's near the battery...then that's probably the right one.
> with the power off...move the jumper over for a few seconds...then move it
> back...
> it should re-set your cmos.
>
> (BTW: as long as the power is off...even if it's the wrong jumper...(and
> you
> return it to it's original position...
> it will not do any harm)
>
> If I do that is there any further action on my part or will it bootup
> automatically with BIOS defaults?

Yes...just move the jumper over...then move it back
and the bios will be set to factory defaults...
you will have to reset your date , of course

Jim McCARDLE

I noticed that you mentioned the computer type. I did a quick google
search and got these results. If you were to contact gateway they may
be able to forward to you the jumper settings.
J McC.
Here are some of the google results,

"Did you mean: EMachines Model T2742

eMachines T2742Product review of the eMachines T2742 budget desktop
personal computer system by ... to support the budget computer segment
with their latest T2742 model. ...
compreviews.about.com/cs/desktops/gr/aaprEMachT2742.htm - 23k - Cached
- Similar pages

Gateway Announces Spring Line-Up of eMachines Desktop PCsHighlights
from the latest eMachines desktop PCs include: * DVD/CDRW combo drive
available for the first time in the $399 entry-level model (T2742)
after ...
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2150794&EDATE=
- 20k - Cached - Similar pages

EMachines Class Action Geek SpeakI saw your post after I did a
little research on these Emachines. I am currently working on one
Model T2742. The customer said it would not turn on one day, ...
www.geek.com/forums/topic.php?id=33947&page - 53k - Cached - Similar
pages

E-Machines T2742 Desktop UpgradesFind the right upgrade for your
computer or digital device. Home > Upgrades > E-Machines > T2742.
Please select your model, T2742 T2742 Intel Celeron 2.7 ...
www.simpletech.com/upgrades/emachines/t2742/ - 10k - Cached - Similar
pages

Parts for Your E-Machines T2742 at TigerDirect PartsearchE-Machines
model T2742. View all closely related models ... EMACHINES 2USB/2AUD
FRONT I/O (2, EMACHINES 2USB/2AUD FRONT I/O (2 CONN.) ...
tigerdirect.partsearch.com/Model/Gateway/E-Machines/T2742.aspx - 28k -
Cached - Similar pages

Parts for Your E-Machines T2742 at TigerDirect PartsearchE-Machines
model T2742 ... EMACHINES 2USB/2AUD FRONT I/O (, EMACHINES 2USB/2AUD
FRONT I/O (2 CONN.) ... Refurbished, E-Machines, EMA-250WATXPS, $83.50
tigerdirect.partsearch.com/GetModel.aspx?MfgName=Gateway&BrandName=E-Machines&ModelNumber=T2742...
- 28k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from tigerdirect.partsearch.com ]

eMachines eMachines Memory - eMachines T2742 Computer Memory
UpgradeModel Comments, 400MHz FSB, Intel 845GV Chipset. We have Memory
Upgrade for eMachines eMachines T2742, the eMachines eMachines T2742
takes the PC2100 DDR ...
http://www.memorystock.com/memory/eM...inesT2742.html - 55k - Cached
- Similar pages

Need Help With Emachine - TechSpot Troubleshooting... be able to help
me with a problem I have with a emachine model #T2742. .... it detects
the eMachines EPROM to verify it is the correct eMachines model. ...
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windo...-Emachine.html -
33k - Cached - Similar pages

Troubleshooting E-Machines T2742 PC Desktop, Support & ServiceSearch
inside E-Machines T2742 PC Desktop Knowledgebase. Post a new problem
.... onboard Standard VGA Graghics Adapter .... for my Acer Aspire TS .
model #. ...
http://www.fixya.com/support/p220750...lutions/page-2
- 20k - Cached - Similar pages

eMachines debuts peppy spring lineup | CNET News.comOn the desktop
side, eMachines' low end will now be anchored by the T2742, a $399
model with a Celeron 2.7HGz processor, 256MB of memory, 40GB hard
drive ...
http://www.news.com/eMachines-debuts...3-5184359.html
- 46k - Cached - Similar pages
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 00:43:44 GMT, Jim McCARDLE
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It sounds like the "clear cmos" jumpers BUT why dont you search on the
>web for the info on the mainboard just to be sure.
>Most Boards will have a label saying the make and model number.
>Then go to their web site and look up the manual for that board. They
>are usually a PDF file and all you do is scan through and you will see
>what the jumpers are.
>A few years back there used to be a jumper that let you re-flash the
>BIOS eprom. there was virus that used to scramble the bios chip. It
>was really bad news on laptops as the bios chips were not in sockets
>like a lot of the older motherboards but were, and still are, soldered
>direct to the circuit board.
>Hope this helps you.
>J McCARDLE (E-Mail Removed)
>================================================= ===
>On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:09:25 -0500, "Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Looking on my Motherboard for the CMOS Clear jumper and have found something
>>that looks like it and it is labeled BIOS Config. Could someone confirm to me
>>that this is the correct place. It has 3 pins and a movable jumper across two
>>of the pins.

Plato

Bob H wrote:

> Looking on my Motherboard for the CMOS Clear jumper and have found something
> that looks like it and it is labeled BIOS Config. Could someone confirm to me
> that this is the correct place. It has 3 pins and a movable jumper across two
> of the pins.

Or, one can use a cmos/bios clearin util and not take any electronical
chaneces

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/