Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Film scanners anyone?

Film scanners anyone?

Mike Russell

"Ted Gibson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
> Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
> still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
> with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
> card. I hate to just 'toss' it...

It's definitely worth something. Take the plunge and sell it on eBay.

--
Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

Ted Gibson

Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
card. I hate to just 'toss' it...

Ted

Rudy Benner

"Ted Gibson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
> Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
> still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
> with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
> card. I hate to just 'toss' it...
>
> Ted

Where are you located?

Ted Gibson

Central Florida...

>"Ted Gibson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
>> Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
>> still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
>> with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
>> card. I hate to just 'toss' it...
>>
>> Ted

>Where are you located?

Ali

I still use a film scanner. Put it on EBay, you maybe surprised.

"Ted Gibson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
> Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
> still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
> with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
> card. I hate to just 'toss' it...
>
> Ted

tony cooper

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 18:38:41 -0500, Ted Gibson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Central Florida...
>>
>>"Ted Gibson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
>>> Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
>>> still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
>>> with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
>>> card. I hate to just 'toss' it...
>>>
>>> Ted

>>Where are you located?

Damn. Wish you would have posted this sooner.

I recently ordered this:
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/740...promo=homepage
It's on backorder.

I plan to use it to scan my slides and then re-sell it on eBay. Dunno
how good it is, but I have Photoshop 7 and can tweak the resulting
images. Once I'm done with the project, I'll have no further use for
it.

I was going to buy a scanner with slide copying ability, but I have a
good scanner and re-selling a scanner is a problem. Shipping it would
be a bear.

Drop me an email, and if H-M doesn't come through maybe we can work
something out. I guess you're near Orlando.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Ted Gibson

Tony,
I'm actually up in Ocala. If you want, e-mail me
((E-Mail Removed)) and I can tell you a bit more about this
scanner.
Ted

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:49:03 -0500, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.hammacher.com/publish/740...promo=homepage

tony cooper

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 21:39:23 -0500, Ted Gibson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tony,
>I'm actually up in Ocala. If you want, e-mail me
>((E-Mail Removed)) and I can tell you a bit more about this
>scanner.
>Ted
>
>On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:49:03 -0500, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>http://www.hammacher.com/publish/740...promo=homepage

Done.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Paul Bartram

"Ali" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>I still use a film scanner. Put it on EBay, you maybe surprised.

I'm sure Ted intended to, and it would fetch enough to be worth the effort.
He and I have been email buddies for years, and I suggested he post here but
not to publicise an eBay auction, as it might lead to a Spam complaint.

However, it looks like he and Tony Cooper might come to some arrangement,
and that is good to see - both parties win. RPD is good like that!

Incidentally, Ted *gave* me his old Nikon LS1000 scanner some years ago, and
I have always been grateful for that. From memory, the postage to Australia
was around $35 US.

Paul

Dennis Pogson

Paul Bartram wrote:
> "Ali" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> I still use a film scanner. Put it on EBay, you maybe surprised.

> I'm sure Ted intended to, and it would fetch enough to be worth the
> effort. He and I have been email buddies for years, and I suggested
> he post here but not to publicise an eBay auction, as it might lead
> to a Spam complaint.
>
> However, it looks like he and Tony Cooper might come to some
> arrangement, and that is good to see - both parties win. RPD is good
> like that!
>
> Incidentally, Ted *gave* me his old Nikon LS1000 scanner some years
> ago, and I have always been grateful for that. From memory, the
> postage to Australia was around $35 US.
>
> Paul

The replies tell you a lot.

There are literally thousands of photographers with slides and negatives
taken in the fifties and sixties who want to digitise them.

Put it on E-Bay, but not before you have used E-Bay to find out what such
devices are fetching, you will be pleasantly surprised! Some of the better
film scanners fetch over $1000.

Dennis.