Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Open source infiltrates government IT worldwide

Open source infiltrates government IT worldwide

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...si.html?page=1

"" To get a sense of this trend looking forward, we spoke to two persons
engaged in developing Open Source solutions for the public sector: Mark
Taylor, President of The Open Source Consortium, whose tag line is
"Bringing Free and Open Source Software to the Public Sector," and John
Weathersby, founder and executive director of the Open Source Software
Institute (OSSI), a U.S.-based non-profit organization whose mission is
to promote adoption of Open Source software solutions within government
IT environments. ""

Interesting "state of the nation" speech for the situation re OSS
adoption by government agencies. )

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

impossible

"Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...si.html?page=1
>
> "" To get a sense of this trend looking forward, we spoke to two persons
> engaged in developing Open Source solutions for the public sector: Mark
> Taylor, President of The Open Source Consortium, whose tag line is
> "Bringing Free and Open Source Software to the Public Sector," and John
> Weathersby, founder and executive director of the Open Source Software
> Institute (OSSI), a U.S.-based non-profit organization whose mission is
> to promote adoption of Open Source software solutions within government
> IT environments. ""
>
> Interesting "state of the nation" speech for the situation re OSS
> adoption by government agencies. )

Interesting, yes. Yet **another** delay on the Muncih vaporware project.
Originally set to complete in 2006. Now 2009 Or is it 2010? Altogether, 660
Linux users in place -- and "amost a third" of these actually trained to use
that software. Wow! Takes your breath away. And, let's see... half of all
local government bodies use "at least some Open Source". Whatever that
means....Could be Apache, Samba, or maybe just some utility, or even just
the boot sector of a wireless adapter (open source coffee makers, anyone?).
Again, very impressive stuff. But where are the actual numbers that would
tell us whether the "infiltration" of local governement IT by open source is
more than a wet dream. Tucked safewy away, I suppose, lest anyone spoil the
party with inconvenient facts. Importantly, no comment whatsoever on ODF,
which is dead as dead can be. How quickly everyone forgets a lost cause.

As for the 2003 CIO Weekly prediction that OS would become the "primary
platform" of most corporations by now....well, no, never happened, not even
close. But have no fear: the Open Source Consortium (OSC) can spin anything
into a victory: "I do believe that this specific prediction was at least
moving in the right direction. I know that open source has grown and matured
a great deal in the past several years - even more so than even some of us
"advocates" thought possible and much more so, to the chagrin of those who
wished that Open Source had never been devised!" Sadly for ther OSC, you
could plug "MAC" or "Google" into that sentence in place of "open source"
and the result would be a more apt description of the current challenges to
Microsoft.

Will Spencer

On 5 Jan 2008 17:05:20 +1300, Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:

> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...si.html?page=1
>
> "" To get a sense of this trend looking forward, we spoke to two persons
> engaged in developing Open Source solutions for the public sector: Mark
> Taylor, President of The Open Source Consortium, whose tag line is
> "Bringing Free and Open Source Software to the Public Sector," and John
> Weathersby, founder and executive director of the Open Source Software
> Institute (OSSI), a U.S.-based non-profit organization whose mission is
> to promote adoption of Open Source software solutions within government
> IT environments. ""
>
> Interesting "state of the nation" speech for the situation re OSS
> adoption by government agencies. )

Imo Linux and Open Source advocates are the Evil Dictators and Nazi's of
the IT World - They all arrogantly flood the Internet forcing their beliefs
onto us with their demands and dictates about software and OS's. It speaks
volumes that the Open Source Linux system is unable to survive on it's own
merits and requires endless negative anti-Microsoft propganda campaigns to
keep it afloat.

Some advice to the the Linux Nazi's - people are not interested in Linux
propaganda and anti-microsoft campaigns. They are interested in a better OS
and if you cannot deliver a better OS you will never win the war.

-ws

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <siw4agjxk0wz$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
write:

> Imo Linux and Open Source advocates are the Evil Dictators and Nazi's of
> the IT World ...

Funny, somebody said something in another posting this evening, which I
think can be paraphrased to apply here as well: "The more you guys feel the
need to talk about Linux and Open Source, the more we know Linux and Open
Source are winning."

Will Spencer

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:09:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <siw4agjxk0wz$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
> write:
>
>> Imo Linux and Open Source advocates are the Evil Dictators and Nazi's of
>> the IT World ...

> Funny, somebody said something in another posting this evening, which I
> think can be paraphrased to apply here as well:

Not really.

> "The more you guys feel the need to talk about Linux and Open Source, the more
> we know Linux and Open Source are winning."

That must be your equivalent of a wet dream.

-ws

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:09:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Funny, somebody said something in another posting this evening, which I
> think can be paraphrased to apply here as well: "The more you guys feel
> the need to talk about Linux and Open Source, the more we know Linux and
> Open Source are winning."

Dude, you're wasting your time arguing with it.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

Will Spencer

On 6 Jan 2008 23:57:33 +1300, Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:09:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Funny, somebody said something in another posting this evening, which I
>> think can be paraphrased to apply here as well: "The more you guys feel
>> the need to talk about Linux and Open Source, the more we know Linux and
>> Open Source are winning."

> Dude, you're wasting your time arguing with it.

Hey I was just busting his chops. We have more in common than you realise.
I've been writing software for a living for over a decade and from that
experience I'm well aware that open-source software has several clear
advantages to closed-source software, but well-funded closed-source
proprietary software efforts can also be just as valid and sometimes
superior solutions.

-ws

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Smoking Causes Lung
Cancer (SCLC) did write:

> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:09:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Funny, somebody said something in another posting this evening, which I
>> think can be paraphrased to apply here as well: "The more you guys feel
>> the need to talk about Linux and Open Source, the more we know Linux and
>> Open Source are winning."

> Dude, you're wasting your time arguing with it.

It's OK, I've got him arguing with himself
<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/5e014929e17e1e21>,
<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/3583ac14de502dd9>.

Biggles^^

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 05:22:05 +0000, impossible wrote:

> "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...si.html?page=1
>>

>> Interesting "state of the nation" speech for the situation re OSS
>> adoption by government agencies. )
>>

> Interesting, yes. Yet **another** delay on the Muncih vaporware project.
> Originally set to complete in 2006. Now 2009 Or is it 2010? Altogether,
> 660 Linux users in place -- and "amost a third" of these actually
> trained to use that software. Wow!

<large snip>

Its turning out to be the longest OSS vaporware / ****up in history...
lmao

Biggles.............

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:22:25 +0100, Biggles^^ wrote:

> Its turning out to be the longest OSS vaporware / ****up in history...
> lmao

How can a project to migrate an organisation from one desktop/server
platform to another be considered to be "vaporware" when that project is
about half way through actual production implementation?

The software already exists - is not vaporware. The server infrastructure
is already implemented, and the desktop implementation is already in
daily use for about half of that city's government employees.

Once that project has completed production implementation then that
organisation will no longer be paying enormous annual fees to Micro$oft.
From then on it will be all cost savings - not to mention actual genuine
control over the software they use.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer