Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Kubuntu Feisty - Convert mkv to dvd?

Kubuntu Feisty - Convert mkv to dvd?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <fm9n2v$dbo$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lodi did write:

> Out of curiosity (and as suggested by Lawrence) I downloaded the svn of
> ffmpeg. Using the following command I got a superb quality mpg ready for
> authoring to dvd. Most impressed.

Glad you like it.

Note also that FFmpeg can do two-pass compression, which might give you even
better quality.

> Needed the "copy time stamps" option to
> correct an audio sync problem and the aspect ratio option just to be sure.

It's got an amazing number of options. I recently discovered that what I
thought was a long-standing bug was just my using the wrong default value
of one of those options.

Gordon

On 2008-01-12, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> In article <fm9n2v$dbo$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lodi did write:
>
>> Out of curiosity (and as suggested by Lawrence) I downloaded the svn of
>> ffmpeg. Using the following command I got a superb quality mpg ready for
>> authoring to dvd. Most impressed.

> Glad you like it.
>
> Note also that FFmpeg can do two-pass compression, which might give you even
> better quality.
>
>> Needed the "copy time stamps" option to
>> correct an audio sync problem and the aspect ratio option just to be sure.

> It's got an amazing number of options. I recently discovered that what I
> thought was a long-standing bug was just my using the wrong default value
> of one of those options.

It is a powerhouse (backend) programme so it has lots of switchs/options. As
does mkisofs.

GUI's just us ethe most common ones.

NR

On Jan 3, 8:29 pm, Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all....Using kubuntu feisty.
>
> Before I start googling endless video forums, does anyone know a way to
> convert mkv to dvd.
>
> I'll start playing around with mplayer and hopefully someone will come to
> my rescue before too long.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

Look for software called any2dvd

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, NR did
write:

> Look for software called any2dvd

Seems to rely on mplayer/mencoder and transcode
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/any2dvd/>.

I never understood the point of transcode--ffmpeg seems to do it all anyway.

inman2787 inman2787 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodi
Hi all....Using kubuntu feisty.

Before I start googling endless video forums, does anyone know a way to
convert mkv to dvd.

I'll start playing around with mplayer and hopefully someone will come to
my rescue before too long.

Regards
Lodi
I would recommend you to download and install the VSO ConvertXtoDVD on your system for this since this apppication will definitely help you to create your dvd you do not need any external codecs like the avi codec. You can also Create DVD menus with different templates available, possibility to add background video, image or audio, have chapter and audio/subtitle menus.
ConvertXtoDVD - top-choice AVI to DVD video conversion software - convert and burn any videos such as Avi to DVD, WMV to DVD, MKV to DVD, YouTube to DVD, ogm, MPEG to DVD, quicktime mov to DVD.I suggest you can download its trail version to burn your avi movie.
Hope that it can do your a favor.

More reviews:google search"softwarebbs ConvertXtoDVD "