Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Compiz Fusion

Compiz Fusion

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Has anybody got Compiz Fusion working on an ATI graphics card?

I helped a friend install Ubuntu Gutsy yesterday. The Dell box had an ATI
card. Even after going into the Restricted Drivers app and installing the
closed-source ATI driver, it would not let us enable anything in
the "Visual Effects" tab of the Appearance app--just said "failed" when i
tried. I was able to run glxgears and have it report it was doing a frame
rate of a few thousand per second, so the closed-source OpenGL driver was
installed and working.

So we decided to try another box which had an NVidia card in it. Rather than
do the install again, we unplugged its hard drives and moved across the
drive from the Dell. Booted it up, went into Restricted Drivers, chose
Nvidia, installed that. Then into "Visual Effects", and this time it
worked. He got his wobbly windows. Then he found a Web page which listed
the various keyboard shortcuts for controlling the more outrageous plugin
effects, and we really went to town--rotating desktop cube, variable
transparency, drawing fire, water ripples, the usual thing.

I still haven't got Compiz working on my own Gentoo box (with NVidia card).
Maybe I should give up and switch to Ubuntu...

Rob S

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Has anybody got Compiz Fusion working on an ATI graphics card?
>
> I helped a friend install Ubuntu Gutsy yesterday. The Dell box had an ATI
> card. Even after going into the Restricted Drivers app and installing the
> closed-source ATI driver, it would not let us enable anything in
> the "Visual Effects" tab of the Appearance app--just said "failed" when i
> tried. I was able to run glxgears and have it report it was doing a frame
> rate of a few thousand per second, so the closed-source OpenGL driver was
> installed and working.
>
> So we decided to try another box which had an NVidia card in it. Rather than
> do the install again, we unplugged its hard drives and moved across the
> drive from the Dell. Booted it up, went into Restricted Drivers, chose
> Nvidia, installed that. Then into "Visual Effects", and this time it
> worked. He got his wobbly windows. Then he found a Web page which listed
> the various keyboard shortcuts for controlling the more outrageous plugin
> effects, and we really went to town--rotating desktop cube, variable
> transparency, drawing fire, water ripples, the usual thing.
>
> I still haven't got Compiz working on my own Gentoo box (with NVidia card).
> Maybe I should give up and switch to Ubuntu...

I've been running compiz/fusion on a 9600pro for about 6 months on
gutsy, but I can't remember all the steps to get it right. I've just got
home from 2 months in hospital and I went through my email and deleted a
pile relating to it.

I followed a script on the Ubuntu forums, but a quick search didn't turn
it up. Once I got it going, I couldn't run multiple desktops, so I filed
a bug report and someone came back with a workaround.

I've just checked my xorg.cong and I'm running the ATI drivers. I think
your best bet is the forums. I know it won't run on anything much lower
than a 9600, eg. 9200s are no go.

--

Rob
http://www.aspir8or.com

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <477a9d8b$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob S did write:

> I've been running compiz/fusion on a 9600pro for about 6 months on
> gutsy...

Thanks, but Gutsy was only officially released in October.

I think my friend's card was an X1900XT, if I recall the lspci output
correctly.

Allistar

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Has anybody got Compiz Fusion working on an ATI graphics card?
>
> I helped a friend install Ubuntu Gutsy yesterday. The Dell box had an ATI
> card. Even after going into the Restricted Drivers app and installing the
> closed-source ATI driver, it would not let us enable anything in
> the "Visual Effects" tab of the Appearance app--just said "failed" when i
> tried. I was able to run glxgears and have it report it was doing a frame
> rate of a few thousand per second, so the closed-source OpenGL driver was
> installed and working.
>
> So we decided to try another box which had an NVidia card in it. Rather
> than do the install again, we unplugged its hard drives and moved across
> the drive from the Dell. Booted it up, went into Restricted Drivers, chose
> Nvidia, installed that. Then into "Visual Effects", and this time it
> worked. He got his wobbly windows. Then he found a Web page which listed
> the various keyboard shortcuts for controlling the more outrageous plugin
> effects, and we really went to town--rotating desktop cube, variable
> transparency, drawing fire, water ripples, the usual thing.
>
> I still haven't got Compiz working on my own Gentoo box (with NVidia
> card). Maybe I should give up and switch to Ubuntu...

I have Compiz working on my Gentoo box using Nvidia (this is my primary
computer I use for work). I did use the xeffects overlay to get it working,
but I'd heard the recent version is now in the main portage tree, but I
haven't gotten around to switching to it yet.

Let me know what issues you are having and we can see if we can get it
working. It works beautifully for me.
--
A.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> I have Compiz working on my Gentoo box using Nvidia (this is my primary
> computer I use for work). I did use the xeffects overlay to get it
> working, but I'd heard the recent version is now in the main portage tree,
> but I haven't gotten around to switching to it yet.
>
> Let me know what issues you are having and we can see if we can get it
> working. It works beautifully for me.

I just emerged it from the standard portage tree. Googling for instructions
turned up these two pages <http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Compiz_Fusion> &
<http://gentoo-wiki.com/Compiz>, both of which seem out of date.

I found the script /usr/bin/compiz-start on my system, so I tried invoking
that in various ways from my .xinitrc, but it won't start, and I couldn't
see any obvious error messages indicating why. Do I need to launch dbus as
well? I might try that next.

Allistar

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
> wrote:
>
>> I have Compiz working on my Gentoo box using Nvidia (this is my primary
>> computer I use for work). I did use the xeffects overlay to get it
>> working, but I'd heard the recent version is now in the main portage
>> tree, but I haven't gotten around to switching to it yet.
>>
>> Let me know what issues you are having and we can see if we can get it
>> working. It works beautifully for me.

> I just emerged it from the standard portage tree. Googling for
> instructions turned up these two pages
> <http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Compiz_Fusion> &
> <http://gentoo-wiki.com/Compiz>, both of which seem out of date.
>
> I found the script /usr/bin/compiz-start on my system, so I tried invoking
> that in various ways from my .xinitrc, but it won't start, and I couldn't
> see any obvious error messages indicating why. Do I need to launch dbus as
> well? I might try that next.

Sorry for the delay, been away. I don't have it set to automatically start
when I log in - rather I start it by clicking an icon I have put in the
panel (this is useful as in the rare times the compiz window manager
crashes, I simply click the icon to get it back. I do recall modifying the
compiz-start script though, here is mine:

# compiz-start script
#
# hacky autodetection of neccessary options for XGL/AIGLX/NVIDIA
#
# Hanno Boeck, http://www.hboeck.de/
#
# Licensed under the same conditions as compiz itself (MIT or GPL)

pkill compiz
pkill emerald

if [ ! -x /usr/bin/glxinfo ]; then
echo "glxinfo not found, please install mesa-progs."
exit -1
fi

GLX_WITH_DIRECT=`glxinfo|grep -c GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap`
GLX_WITH_INDIRECT=`LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 glxinfo|grep -c
GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap`
GLX_RENDER=`glxinfo|grep -c "OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect"`

COMPIZ_OPTIONS="--replace ccp --sm-disable"

if [ $GLX_WITH_DIRECT -eq 3 ]; then
if [ $GLX_RENDER -eq 0 ]; then
echo NVIDA detected
export __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"
else
echo XGL detected
fi
elif [ $GLX_WITH_INDIRECT -eq 3 ]; then
echo AIGLX detected
export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
fi

if [ ! -z $KDE_FULL_SESSION ] && [ -x /usr/bin/kde-window-decorator ]; then
echo Using KDE decorator
kde-window-decorator --replace &
else
echo Using GTK decorator
gtk-window-decorator --replace &
fi

compiz $COMPIZ_OPTIONS
##end

Does starting it manually (by running:

compiz --replace cpp --sm-disable

work?
--
A.

java 6 SystemTray and Compiz ronsmansdirk@gmail.com Java 0 04-17-2008 09:52 AM
Compiz-fusion Allistar NZ Computing 19 11-21-2007 08:43 AM
ANN: Fusion workshop updated to .NET 2.0 Richard Grimes ASP .Net 1 12-06-2005 08:20 AM
Perl/CGI, PHP, ASP, XML, Java, Javascript, C/C++, Flash, Python, and Cold Fusion Etw Paul Hernandez Perl 1 12-03-2003 03:20 AM
ASP.NET vs Cold Fusion CSDunn ASP .Net 2 07-28-2003 06:58 PM

Advertisments