Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Would you guys consider MCSE etc to be "trade certificates"?

Would you guys consider MCSE etc to be "trade certificates"?

Bobs

I've got MCSE as well as some lower certs like A+ and Network+, and I'm
wanting to get CCNA this year if possible. These are IT certs in case
you're wondering. The reason I ask is that I'm looking at moving to
Australia with the wife and we obviously need PR to do that. Yes I know
that as a kiwi I can just move there and get a special visa thingie, but
my wife is a chinese national so that wont be any good for her. So I
need to make a PR application instead.

My occuption is considered high demand so I can get a huge 60 points for
that, so really, if MCSE can be considerd a trade cert we're pretty set.

I knew I should have got a bloody degree.

Fred

"Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4776ce95$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got MCSE as well as some lower certs like A+ and Network+, and I'm
> wanting to get CCNA this year if possible. These are IT certs in case
> you're wondering. The reason I ask is that I'm looking at moving to
> Australia with the wife and we obviously need PR to do that. Yes I know
> that as a kiwi I can just move there and get a special visa thingie, but
> my wife is a chinese national so that wont be any good for her. So I need
> to make a PR application instead.
>
> My occuption is considered high demand so I can get a huge 60 points for
> that, so really, if MCSE can be considerd a trade cert we're pretty set.
>
> I knew I should have got a bloody degree.

Who is 'the' wife? Yours by any chance?

Bobs

Fred wrote:
> "Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4776ce95$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've got MCSE as well as some lower certs like A+ and Network+, and I'm
>> wanting to get CCNA this year if possible. These are IT certs in case
>> you're wondering. The reason I ask is that I'm looking at moving to
>> Australia with the wife and we obviously need PR to do that. Yes I know
>> that as a kiwi I can just move there and get a special visa thingie, but
>> my wife is a chinese national so that wont be any good for her. So I need
>> to make a PR application instead.
>>
>> My occuption is considered high demand so I can get a huge 60 points for
>> that, so really, if MCSE can be considerd a trade cert we're pretty set.
>>
>> I knew I should have got a bloody degree.

> Who is 'the' wife? Yours by any chance?

Thanks for that input, Fred.

Sue Bilstein

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:31:36 +1300, Bobs
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got MCSE as well as some lower certs like A+ and Network+, and I'm
>wanting to get CCNA this year if possible. These are IT certs in case
>you're wondering.

I'd consider them trade certs, but the key question is what Aussie
immigration would think. Why don't you ring them up and ask them?

If they're like DOTARS, they'll be open on 2nd Jan.

> The reason I ask is that I'm looking at moving to
>Australia with the wife and we obviously need PR to do that. Yes I know
>that as a kiwi I can just move there and get a special visa thingie, but
>my wife is a chinese national so that wont be any good for her. So I
>need to make a PR application instead.
>
>My occuption is considered high demand so I can get a huge 60 points for
> that, so really, if MCSE can be considerd a trade cert we're pretty set.
>
>I knew I should have got a bloody degree.

Sounds to me like you've got no worries, sport.

george

On Dec 30, 11:31 am, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've got MCSE as well as some lower certs like A+ and Network+, and I'm
> wanting to get CCNA this year if possible. These are IT certs in case
> you're wondering. The reason I ask is that I'm looking at moving to
> Australia with the wife and we obviously need PR to do that. Yes I know
> that as a kiwi I can just move there and get a special visa thingie, but
> my wife is a chinese national so that wont be any good for her. So I
> need to make a PR application instead.
>
> My occuption is considered high demand so I can get a huge 60 points for
> that, so really, if MCSE can be considerd a trade cert we're pretty set.
>
> I knew I should have got a bloody degree.

What you have is entry level paper.
Now you have to convince an employer that you are worth taking on as a
trainee technician where you can get the experience that will make you
-really- employable

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:31:36 +1300, Bobs wrote:

> I've got MCSE as well as some lower certs like A+ and Network+, and I'm
> wanting to get CCNA this year if possible. These are IT certs in case
> you're wondering. The reason I ask is that I'm looking at moving to
> Australia with the wife and we obviously need PR to do that. Yes I know
> that as a kiwi I can just move there and get a special visa thingie, but
> my wife is a chinese national so that wont be any good for her. So I
> need to make a PR application instead.

Surely if she had been given NZ citizenship then she would be in the same
situation as yourself. It would make things easier for when you emigrate
to Australia if she seeks and gets NZ citizenship. )

> My occuption is considered high demand so I can get a huge 60 points for
> that, so really, if MCSE can be considerd a trade cert we're pretty
> set.

MSCE only means that you can regurgitate the M$ way. It doesn't mean you
can provide real-world solutions.

I suppose it *might* be considered a trade certificate in a technical
sense. However, CCNA really is the better qualification (I'd also suggest
that even A+ is a better. It is relatively difficult and is considerably
more meaningful to an employer.

If you can attain CCNA then you should be set to go. I understand that
there are only a few (read 2 or 3 in all Australia) who actually have the
highest Cisco qualification.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

Bobs

george wrote:
> On Dec 30, 11:31 am, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've got MCSE as well as some lower certs like A+ and Network+, and I'm
>> wanting to get CCNA this year if possible. These are IT certs in case
>> you're wondering. The reason I ask is that I'm looking at moving to
>> Australia with the wife and we obviously need PR to do that. Yes I know
>> that as a kiwi I can just move there and get a special visa thingie, but
>> my wife is a chinese national so that wont be any good for her. So I
>> need to make a PR application instead.
>>
>> My occuption is considered high demand so I can get a huge 60 points for
>> that, so really, if MCSE can be considerd a trade cert we're pretty set.
>>
>> I knew I should have got a bloody degree.

> What you have is entry level paper.

I'll hardly consider MCSE/CCNA as entry level certs. That would be A+
for me. At the same time they're certainly not degree level.

> Now you have to convince an employer that you are worth taking on as a
> trainee technician where you can get the experience that will make you
> -really- employable

I've have a good 5 yrs experience already. You don't need a job offer
for PR application. I'm just interestd if MCSE for example is a trade
cert, my work experience is well in excess of what they ask for (2 years)

Bobs

Sue Bilstein wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:31:36 +1300, Bobs
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've got MCSE as well as some lower certs like A+ and Network+, and I'm
>> wanting to get CCNA this year if possible. These are IT certs in case
>> you're wondering.

> I'd consider them trade certs, but the key question is what Aussie
> immigration would think. Why don't you ring them up and ask them?
>
> If they're like DOTARS, they'll be open on 2nd Jan.

Yes I will. They seem easy to deal with. I am used to dealing with US
immigration Sue. Can't call, can't email, can only see them in person
between the hours of 9am and 12pm. Useless.

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:31:36 +1300, Bobs wrote:
>
>> I've got MCSE as well as some lower certs like A+ and Network+, and I'm
>> wanting to get CCNA this year if possible. These are IT certs in case
>> you're wondering. The reason I ask is that I'm looking at moving to
>> Australia with the wife and we obviously need PR to do that. Yes I know
>> that as a kiwi I can just move there and get a special visa thingie, but
>> my wife is a chinese national so that wont be any good for her. So I
>> need to make a PR application instead.

> Surely if she had been given NZ citizenship then she would be in the same
> situation as yourself. It would make things easier for when you emigrate
> to Australia if she seeks and gets NZ citizenship. )

She only got PR a year ago. That would mean at least another 4 years of
waiting.

>> My occuption is considered high demand so I can get a huge 60 points for
>> that, so really, if MCSE can be considerd a trade cert we're pretty
>> set.

> MSCE only means that you can regurgitate the M$ way. It doesn't mean you
> can provide real-world solutions.

MCSE obviously pushes Windows SErver 200x, but it also teaches network
design indepedent of the operating systems.

Anyway, that's not relevent. What's relevent is if they regard it as a
trade cert.

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:09:28 +1300, Bobs wrote:

> I'll hardly consider MCSE/CCNA as entry level certs.

CCNA is in fact Cisco's basic entry level qualification, and yes it is
not easy to get. The Cisco qualifications only get much harder after that
one.

MCSE is almost not worth the paper it is written on. Too many people have
MCSE who cannot implement real-world solutions or fixes using M$ software.

Also, if you're looking at working in networking, then MCSE is completely
worthless.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer